What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre listened to me

2010 Census figures for metropolitan areas in the United States:

2. Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana: 12.83 million
4. Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington: 6.37 million
5. Houston/Sugar Land/Baytown: 5.95 million
11. San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont: 4.34 million
12. Riverside/San Bernadino/Ontario: 4.22 million
14. Phoenix/Mesa/Glendale: 4.19 million
17. San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos: 3.10 million
21. Denver/Aurora/Broomfield: 2.54 million
25. Sacramento/Arden/Arcade/Roseville: 2.15 million
31: San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara: 1.84 million

Go where the players are.

I don't think people realize just how big the Inland Empire and Phoenix really are, they are exploding. As buffaholic mentioned, lots of families have moved east over the last two decades.

Unless you're not counting the Pac Northwest, that area was mentioned as well.

2010 Census figures for metropolitan areas in the United States:

2. Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana: 12.83 million
4. Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington: 6.37 million
5. Houston/Sugar Land/Baytown: 5.95 million
11. San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont: 4.34 million
12. Riverside/San Bernadino/Ontario: 4.22 million
14. Phoenix/Mesa/Glendale: 4.19 million
17. San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos: 3.10 million
21. Denver/Aurora/Broomfield: 2.54 million
25. Sacramento/Arden/Arcade/Roseville: 2.15 million
31: San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara: 1.84 million

Go where the players are.

I don't think people realize just how big the Inland Empire and Phoenix really are, they are exploding. As buffaholic mentioned, lots of families have moved east over the last two decades.

Just a quick observation on your list. LA kids tend to look at USC/UCLA first so they often get their pick. There are so many kids though that they can't take them all so other schools can do well there. The loyalty isn't quite as strong as some other places so successful programs (Oregon I.E.) have also done well there.

The best Texas kids tend to be very loyal to Texas schools, especially UT, as well as OU. Again lots left so the second choices aren't bad.

The San Francisco, San Diego, and Sacramento kids seem to be more open to looking outside of their "home" schools so those areas are worth the effort, good shot at difference makers.

With all of that your Mention of Phoenix exploding is important to look at. The area is putting out more quality players every year. HS ball there is played at a pretty high level. A big advantage is that a big portion of the kids come from families that don't have strong ties to the state or the AZ schools. Just like other schools have been coming into Colorado for years picking off many of our best HS players who didn't have any significant loyalty to CU lots of the AZ kids are open to looking at out of state opportunities. Your return on recruiting investment could be much higher there than some other areas where we are fighting an uphill battle against established recruiting lines.

Coach Mac seems to have a clue. I don't follow recruiting too hard but this seems smart looking from the outside.

SO

not to derail this thread from the recruiting stuff... but did anyone see this in the article??

"Some attrition from the 2012 Buffs roster is expected. Starting junior left tackle David Bakhtiari is declaring his eligibility for the 2013 NFL Draft, and kicker Zach Grossnickle and tight end DaVaughn Thornton are both graduating and have decided not to return for a fifth year of football. Plus, several other players are awaiting medical clearance."

I thought Thornton was coming back. Did I miss a whole segment on him changing his mind again?

I tried to tell ya a couple of weeks ago.

Coach Mac seems to have a clue. I don't follow recruiting too hard but this seems smart looking from the outside.
I hope so, you might wanna have a clue when u coach CU. The best thing for him to do is do what he's always done, he can get us back.

52 CO schools have already been visited and five juniors offered.:thumbsup:
Really nice job by the staff. They have a lot of work in front of them, but this should go a long way toward repairing those bridges that the previous regime(s) burned to the ground.

I hope this isn't just one-year lip service. While I think it is very good to make that first contact - they have to keep with it. They need to make it a regular thing to keep in contact with the Colorado coaches, to build those relationships with the high schools. And then they need to continue to foster the relationships as time passes.

I hope this isn't just one-year lip service. While I think it is very good to make that first contact - they have to keep with it. They need to make it a regular thing to keep in contact with the Colorado coaches, to build those relationships with the high schools. And then they need to continue to foster the relationships as time passes.

At SJSU, it looked like HCMM's in-state efforts only ramped up over the years as relationships were built and creating events became more feasible.

Back