What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Montgomery Meeting w/ Cal AD

Quattro

Club Member
Club Member
BANNED
Tomorrow to talk about his future. ESPN is saying that late this week he was leaning towards retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's about that time for Monty. I've suspected a retirement was coming soon for a couple years now (don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to know it's coming). Perhaps he should make one more run and go out in the Dance (he's Danced 16 times), but then again he's had about enough and doesn't need to prove anything else. If he does go, we'll see who Cal hires. Not many vacancies in the West this year aside from Wazzu. Cal will likely drop off a bit simply because whoever they hire will not be an x's and o's mastermind at the level Monty is. However, they'll always land some talent and remain a middle tier Pac squad Dancing every 2 or 3 years.

It's about that time for Monty. I've suspected a retirement was coming soon for a couple years now (don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to know it's coming). Perhaps he should make one more run and go out in the Dance (he's Danced 16 times), but then again he's had about enough and doesn't need to prove anything else. If he does go, we'll see who Cal hires. Not many vacancies in the West this year aside from Wazzu. Cal will likely drop off a bit simply because whoever they hire will not be an x's and o's mastermind at the level Monty is. However, they'll always land some talent and remain a middle tier Pac squad Dancing every 2 or 3 years.

With Cal's admission standards for athletes and Oakland in their back yard you can never count them out.

If you're a Rivals subscriber, you might remember that I posted some info on this back during the Thomas Welsh recruitment. Welsh was ready to commit to Cal, but Monty told him he likely wouldn't be there for more than a year or two for him, so Welsh dropped Cal.

Howland would be a solid hire for Cal, but I'm not convinced their success would be any higher than what was achieved under Monty. Sure, Cal doesn't have the pressure UCLA does. That's because it's Cal and being elite doesn't occur there.

San Jose Mercury News: Cal basketball: Possible replacements for Mike Montgomery
No real Earth shattering names here. I don't think Tommy Amaker's chances of going out west are great. Archie Miller coaching in the same conference as his brother is probably a longshot. And after Shaka Smart has turned down much better jobs, I don't really see him as viable.

Howland seems like the guy from this list.

Is the shine off of Randy Bennett? Maybe he should have left St. Mary's a few years ago if he wanted the big job.

Is the shine off of Randy Bennett? Maybe he should have left St. Mary's a few years ago if he wanted the big job.

Five game suspension and recruiting restrictions last year for violations. He's not moving on to a big job any time soon.

That would make the Pac 12 the official Pack Line defense conference

Buffs need to shoot the ball better to deal with pack line defenses. If teams are going to come underneath screens, you have to be able to make them pay for it. You also have to be able to work the high post, so Wes and Dustin have to take their offensive games up a notch.

Buffs need to shoot the ball better to deal with pack line defenses. If teams are going to come underneath screens, you have to be able to make them pay for it. You also have to be able to work the high post, so Wes and Dustin have to take their offensive games up a notch.

I saw some flashes from Wes this last year on offense that I wasn't expecting. Hopefully working with Jelly this summer will help.

Cal may announce their new coach today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor has it it's Chris Mooney. Not 100% sold as a coach, but dude is a first class top notch human being - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ieving-student-manager-men-college-basketball

EDIT - or not. Now I'm seeing a few people say it may be Russell Turner, the head coach of UC-Irvine who previously coached under Monty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Turner_(basketball)

So the perception that the lower Cal state schools aren't good enough to provide a head coach at Cal doesn't apply to their basketball program? Isn't that what supposedly kept MM from getting the head coaching job in Berkely?

[tweet]456117236277575680[/tweet]

Haha. For whatever reason Vols fans on rivals didn't like him. Fwiw

This ain't the SEC, Cuonzo. I predict growing pains.

The head coach from a team that just made the sweet sixteen, won 24 games, and finished 4th in his league - left the SEC to go to an arguably harder job in the Pac12, digest that for a second.

The head coach from a team that just made the sweet sixteen, won 24 games, and finished 4th in his league - left the SEC to go to an arguably harder job in the Pac12, digest that for a second.
I did. Cal is a harder job in a tougher conference. It won't be a picnic.

Missouri State and Tennessee aren't coast to coast recruiting jobs...he will have to build up some west coast ties....I would have thought Ben Howland would have been a better choice but its Cal so really don't care one way or the other

Back