What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Riley to Nebraska

He didn't do ****! He left to go suck asshole in the NFL and Erickson came in and did just as well if not better. He did ok a few years after coming back but they suck again. They sucked before that because it was the 90s and football was different back then. The powerhouses of yesteryear have given way to the internet and standardized training and facilities.

Terrible.
delicious.

Got to believe he didn't like some grumblings in Corvalis and decided to look elsewhere. Worse case, he gets a huge payday and retires.
Best case, he gets the Huskers to the top of their division and can say told you so, with a huge paycheck.

He is a good coach, but tough to sell the fanbase on firing a coach that went 9-3 to hire one that went 5-7. Hilarious.

For CU, the thing we want to watch most closely is what coaches Riley brings with him from OSU and who gets let go at Nebraska. There is some serious assistant coaching talent on both staffs and MacIntyre may have some opportunities here.

Not to mention some recruits. Shouldn't have eaten all the appetizers....

All the other ****ing moron fans who called for Pelini's head this year and I told them their ****ing stupid. I hope they're happy when we don't have a bowl game next year.

Callahan deja vu.

Any educated guesses on who knocked the Nebraska Cornbadgers back in their search here?

He didn't do ****! He left to go suck asshole in the NFL and Erickson came in and did just as well if not better. He did ok a few years after coming back but they suck again. They sucked before that because it was the 90s and football was different back then. The powerhouses of yesteryear have given way to the internet and standardized training and facilities.

Terrible.
Ok. I hope he ****ing blows at Nebraska and you lose 10 plus games the next three years. Better?

Terrible.

Being impartial on this, I can tell you that Riley is a very good coach. His game plans and player development are tremendous. He is also very adaptable to personnel in order to put what talent he has in the best possible situation for his teams to win. This year, they didn't have the speed to match up in the Pac-12 and didn't have a playmaker to erase the issues (while in 2013 they had Cooks).

That said, I don't think he's going to be any better than Pelini and will probably be worse. Worst thing about this hire for NU is that it doesn't do a lot for recruiting. Riley's got some relationships on the west coast, in Polynesia, at the western JUCOs and in Texas, but he's not a rock star recruiter. I think Nebraska needed to do more with an instant pipeline type guy since the B1G has so isolated the program from the recruiting grounds you need to ever be elite again. Might have been better to take a flyer on an Orgeron type guy. Or even Lane Kiffin. Results may have slipped a bit in the short term, but it would re-set the table for what you guys are trying to recapture.

I see the Riley hire as kind of short-sighted. Safe hire of a guy who is easy to get along with, supremely competent, and does nothing to move the performance needle from where it has been.

Have to disagree. Terrible hire.

Stupid

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised Kamel. MR runs an O that will be very effective in the Big Integer. He has been quite successful in the Pac with lesser recruits and with the caliber of recruit NU gets I think he will be dynamite.

His O is WCO based, but unlike Callahan, MR has successfully implemented it at the CFB level. I would have been thrilled if MR came to CU.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised Kamel. MR runs an O that will be very effective in the Big Integer. He has been quite successful in the Pac with lesser recruits and with the caliber of recruit NU gets I think he will be dynamite.

His O is WCO based, but unlike Callahan, MR has successfully implemented it at the CFB level. I would have been thrilled if MR came to CU.

Offense isn't our problem dude.

Wonder if Riley's chuck the ball offense will work in the wind swept and ****ty weather big 10?

List of OSU commits (Rivals):

Dameon BaberWR5-9/181
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
Blake BrandelOL6-7/270
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
Treshon BroughtonDB6-0/180
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Tyrin FergusonLB6-1/185
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
Miki FifitaOL6-5/260
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Angelo GarbuttLB6-2/210
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Omar Hicks-OnuDB6-1/172
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Beau HottOL6-3/270
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Jacob JimenezOL6-4/265
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Shalom LuaniDB6-1/200
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Zach LucasOL6-5/265
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Solomon MatautiaDB6-2/210
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Hunter MattoxDE6-4/255
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
James PensylQB6-6/205
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Matt PistoneTE6-4/230
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Nick PorebskiK5-10/190
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Jesse SimsTE6-4/235
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Matt SnyderTE6-5/245
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Adrienne TalanDB6-1/198
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR
Shawn WilsonATH6-0/165
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
NR

Now we get a coach who will run WCO with a whole team full of recruits build around the run heavy spread that was working and still have a crumbling defense with a coach who can't make a bowl game or even have a winning record.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I like Mike Riley as a coach, but I think this is a bad hire for the Nubs. I think you are basically replacing one good-not-great coach with another good-not-great coach. I agree that this looks like a disaster from a recruiting perspective. Of course, I hope that this is a huge disaster for NU. Sorry Kamel, not personal.

Now we get a coach who will run WCO with a whole team full of recruits build around the run heavy spread that was working and still have a crumbling defense with a coach who can't make a bowl game or even have a winning record.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Your point?

Offense isn't our problem dude.

I know, but NU hired an offensive minded coach, don't bitch at me because I am trying to find the bright side of it for you. I'll stop now and say I hope MR will be an unmitigated Bill Callahan disaster for you and perhaps that will make you feel better.

I actually still think you got a good HC. The only drawback is his age, but who else can be a proven HC at NU? The only other legitimate name I can think of is Dan Mullen. There is a reason UF and NU passed on him and it is because he is, well, a little slick if you know what I mean.

Not quite sure how Riley gets so incredibly much cred here. He was a miserable recruiter, and consistently terrible in big games. His winning percentage was around .350 against top 25 teams.

He was a guy with a lot of integrity, and was consistent. You could usually bank on him having a 7ish win season with the occasional 9 win season and 4-5 win season sprinkled in every 5 years. He is a very likable guy, and a decent coach that you could trust to run a program without the threat of a scandal.

I've always wondered how he'd do with top tier recruits. He could never lure that to Corvallis...but Nebraska could be a different story. He can definitely develop players.

For CU, the thing we want to watch most closely is what coaches Riley brings with him from OSU and who gets let go at Nebraska. There is some serious assistant coaching talent on both staffs and MacIntyre may have some opportunities here.

We'd have to have some assistant coach positions open.

Back