What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Stoops or Dirk Koetter?

Look, you must not follow CU much, because no sane Buff fan would suggest Koetter. He was marginally more "successful" at ASU than Hawk was at CU (meaning, instead of usually winning 3-5 games, he often won 4-6.. in a weaker conference at the time). We're obviously not going to hire a Boise guy with Hawk so fresh in our memories.

I understand the Boise hangover, but there is a reason that Koetter is working and Hawk is not.

3 for 3? Who are the other two failures? Dirk was above .500, four bowls in six years winning two of those bowls, and routinely beat in state rival AZ. Didn't set the world on fire but failure is a little unfair.

Nutt did OK at Arky. He was up and down but had a 10 win seasons, eight bowls in ten years and 61% winning percentage. He flamed out after a decent start at Ole Miss (24-26), but again, failure?
Coaches fired for not meeting expectations have failed.

If you think Stoops or Koetter are legit candidates, eat a snickers then come back.

Per Falcons, success might have something to do with Ryan, Jones, White, Turner, Gonzales... he didn't recruit these guys to ATL. He inherited a beast of a team.

Koetter will get NFL opportunities, so you are correct.

Stoops is damaged goods. He will never get a HC job again, and rightly so. He failed in his only attempt and as Jon Embree has noted, when you fail in your first job as a HC, you almost never get a 2nd shot. White or Black. That last part is mine. It's true. We proved it here one night in chat.

Koetter built the program at Boise State, without Chris Peterson. He actually didn't do a bad job at Arizona State, just not what they hoped for. He was tweaking some of his assistants and they were not a bad program. IN fact, they were pretty much loaded for bear when they fired him, allowing Erickson to come in and win big in year 1. Erickson proceeded to get worse every year from then on out. Erickson won 10 games that first year.

Koetter then went on to offensive coordinator slots in the NFL, currently running the show for the Atlanta Falcons. He was born and raised in Southern Idaho. (Pocatello)

My ASU buddies (many who played CFB) believe that the AD pulled the trigger way too early on Koetter. He has had success everywhere he has been. He had ASU ready for that 10-2 regular season and the AD (the infamous Lisa Love) was enamored with Erickson.

Koetter is a fantastic fit (imo) for CU.

To dismiss this because he:
a. coached (built actually) Boise State
b. he has NFL ties
c. was fired from a job he really didn't fail at

is beyond ridiculous. This guy will be a head coach in college again and he will be a very hot ticket once again.

CU could have a coach here that would want to be here for life. Koetter is known to have not wanted to take Hawkins with him btw. You got to like that!

And unlike guys like Nutt, he's not burned out. He is VERY hungry to fix the wrong.

Pleases interview him. The ASU thingy is an illusion and the only reason we could have a chance to get this guy.

Last edited:
Stoops is damaged goods. He will never get a HC job again, and rightly so. He failed in his only attempt and as Jon Embree has noted, when you fail in your first job as a HC, you almost never get a 2nd shot. White or Black. That last part is mine. It's true. We proved it here one night in chat.

Koetter built the program at Boise State, without Chris Peterson. He actually didn't do a bad job at Arizona State, just not what they hoped for. He was tweaking some of his assistants and they were not a bad program. IN fact, they were pretty much loaded for bear when they fired him, allowing Erickson to come in and win big in year 1. Erickson proceeded to get worse every year from then on out. Erickson won 10 games that first year.

Koetter then went on to offensive coordinator slots in the NFL, currently running the show for the Atlanta Falcons. He was born and raised in Southern Idaho. (Pocatello)

My ASU buddies (many who played CFB) believe that the AD pulled the trigger way too early on Koetter. He has had success everywhere he has been. He had ASU ready for that 10-2 regular season and the AD (the infamous Lisa Love) was enamored with Erickson.

Koetter is a fantastic fit (imo) for CU.

To dismiss this because he:
a. coached (built actually) Boise State
b. he has NFL ties
c. was fired from a job he really didn't fail at

is beyond ridiculous. This guy will be a head coach in college again and he will be a very hot ticket once again.

CU could have a coach here that would want to be here for life. Koetter is known to have not wanted to take Hawkins with him btw. You got to like that!

And unlike guys like Nutt, he's not burned out. He is VERY hungry to fix the wrong.

Pleases interview him. The ASU thingy is an illusion and the only reason we could have a chance to get this guy.

Compelling.

Mike Stoops wouldn't touch the CU job.

Embree filled Stoops head so full of garbage last year, there is no chance he would come to CU.

Dirk Koetter -

Offensive Coordinator UTEP (1986-1988)
Offensive Coordinator Mizzou (1989 - 1993)
Offensive Coordinator Boston College (1994 - 1995)
Offensive Coordinator Oregon (1996 - 1997)
Head Coach Boise State (1998 - 2000) (26-10 overall record - 2-0 record in bowl games)
Head Coach Arizona State (2001 - 2006) (40-34 overall record - 2-2 record in bowl games)
Offensive Coordinator Jacksonville Jaguards (2007 - 2011)
Offensive Coordinator Atlanta Falcons (2012)

I get he is not everyone's first choice, but Buffaholic laid out why I think Koetter deserves a look. The guy has extensive head coaching and coordinator experience. He knows the conference. He knows offense.

I'm not really opposed to Koetter. I'd rather someone who isn't coming from the NFL, but it's not like he's an NFL lifer type.

Honestly... I'd be all for Koetter. Home-run hire? Nope. But knows the college game, knows the Pac, knows the west, etc. He can definitely bring us back toward respectability. And aside from a Boyle-esque hire, I don't see us doing much better than that for now. Stoops would be in about the same boat, but I'd want him to bring Stitt along (Stoops is a defensive guy I am assuming). Then again I don't know much about him other than he is Bob and Mark's brother and he did mediocre at best at 'Zona.

Back