What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Military Bowl: Air Force vs Toledo

:lol: HAHAHA Air Force faked the XP, kicker couldn't handle it, fumbled out of bounds.

HOLD ON TOLEDO!!

He should have let his offense go for 2 pointer,let the ball handlers handle it,not your kicker or holder

Last edited:
:lol: HAHAHA Air Force faked the XP, kicker couldn't handle it, fumbled out of bounds.

HOLD ON TOLEDO!!
So,these young men are willing to put there lives on the line for your sorry ass and you root against them? Nice.:rolling_eyes:

Son of a bitch....I picked Air Force. That ****ing two-pointer should have worked.

So,these young men are willing to put there lives on the line for your sorry ass and you root against them? Nice.:rolling_eyes:

Oh ****ing waaaah, DBT. Nice drama old man...it's the Air Force.

Really? Lives on the line? They're more likely to die of a designer drug OD at a club, or maybe an unfortunate eyebrow waxing incident than they are in the line of duty.

Nice aerodynamic wheelies to their immaculately maintained 10,000 foot runways. Now it's time to don the ascot for a big night of crud a the O-club.

I've lived on an Air Force base--most Americans would kill to have lives so cushy...

You know I really, really don't like the Army, but at least those guys/gals sacrifice.

The Walrus: As you know, they ALL sacrifice. I know World War II was a long time ago. However, airmen suffered the highest mortality rate in the entire armed forces of the United States during World War II. The 8th Air Force alone lost 26,000 crewmen of the 210,000 who served, giving a mortality rate of about 12.4%. By comparison the Marines lost 3.3%, the Army lost 2.3%, and the Navy lost 0.41%. My old Dad served in the 155th Night Photo Reconaissance Squadron of the 9th Army Air Force in World War II. They lost 27 KIA in a squadron of about 400 for a mortality rate of 6.8%. Fortunately for Dad he survived the war and lived to the great age of 89 years. Everyone who serves sacrifices and puts his or her life on the line. The legacy of the 155th is as follows: They flew into the night - into the darkness, and into oblivion.

Oh ****ing waaaah, DBT. Nice drama old man...it's the Air Force.

Really? Lives on the line? They're more likely to die of a designer drug OD at a club, or maybe an unfortunate eyebrow waxing incident than they are in the line of duty.

Nice aerodynamic wheelies to their immaculately maintained 10,000 foot runways. Now it's time to don the ascot for a big night of crud a the O-club.

I've lived on an Air Force base--most Americans would kill to have lives so cushy...

You know I really, really don't like the Army, but at least those guys/gals sacrifice.

Seriously, I wish I could have had the meals they eat every day. MRE'S and green eggs in metal canisters was not the nutritional meal you'd think.:lol:

The Walrus: As you know, they ALL sacrifice. I know World War II was a long time ago. However, airmen suffered the highest mortality rate in the entire armed forces of the United States during World War II. The 8th Air Force alone lost 26,000 crewmen of the 210,000 who served, giving a mortality rate of about 12.4%. By comparison the Marines lost 3.3%, the Army lost 2.3%, and the Navy lost 0.41%. My old Dad served in the 155th Night Photo Reconaissance Squadron of the 9th Army Air Force in World War II. They lost 27 KIA in a squadron of about 400 for a mortality rate of 6.8%. Fortunately for Dad he survived the war and lived to the great age of 89 years. Everyone who serves sacrifices and puts his or her life on the line. The legacy of the 155th is as follows: They flew into the night - into the darkness, and into oblivion.

First off, thank you to your father for serving our country in an important war that changed the future of the world as we know it.

Today's Air Force brethren have a very different mortality rate than WWII. Check out this link, published by the AF themselves, proclaiming the mortality rate in Iran for Air Force personnel is not only significantly lower than their fellow armed services branches, but also lower than the mortality rate for the average young adult in America today.
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/11/airforce_death_iraq_071113/

First off, thank you to your father for serving our country in an important war that changed the future of the world as we know it.

Today's Air Force brethren have a very different mortality rate than WWII. Check out this link, published by the AF themselves, proclaiming the mortality rate in Iran for Air Force personnel is not only significantly lower than their fellow armed services branches, but also lower than the mortality rate for the average young adult in America today.
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/11/airforce_death_iraq_071113/

That's amazing! Thanks for posting. Also, I'm certain you meant Iraq rather than Iran.

Hi scotth92,
Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the differences between wars over the years and mortality rates. Perhaps I'm sensitive when it comes to military personnel in general, regardless of what their service is. They all sacrifice in one way or another. That's all. Take care.

There was no Air Force in WWII. The warrior ethic was mostly stripped from that service when they donned the powder blue and they became so fat and bloated that they couldn't move forward in an expeditionary force without their media support squadron and a pre-positioned golf course.

What your father served in was a very different group in a very different time. I appreciate your father's sacrifice.

Look, I'm obviously being snarky. I actually tend to like the Air Force folks with whom I'm serving. But I do get tired of them telling me how little they sacrifice and how much it must suck to go out to sea. Also, an alarming number of them do wax their eyebrows.

Also, your mortality numbers are somewhat skewed. By looking at the mortality of one unit, and comparing it with an entire service--including the rearguard is a ridiculous comparison of apples and oranges. What do you think the mortality rate of the Indianopolis was? Of the Arizona? How about the Tin Can Warriors of Taffy 3? How about specific sqadrons that launched at Midway, and extended beyond their fuel range knowing that they wouldn't come home? I can assure you that the marotality rate was far higher than 12% in all cases, but again, it's not a fair comparison.

Hi scotth92,
Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the differences between wars over the years and mortality rates. Perhaps I'm sensitive when it comes to military personnel in general, regardless of what their service is. They all sacrifice in one way or another. That's all. Take care.

B30 - understood and agreed. That is why I tried to be respectful in my response and simply stayed to the facts. Semper Fidelis.

Sounds like we have some members of other services who are still pissed about AFA winning the CIC trophy again. :lol: They also happen to be the only service academy in a bowl game this year, again.

Would have been nice to see them pull it out and win on a 2-point conversion.

There was no Air Force in WWII. The warrior ethic was mostly stripped from that service when they donned the powder blue and they became so fat and bloated that they couldn't move forward in an expeditionary force without their media support squadron and a pre-positioned golf course.

What your father served in was a very different group in a very different time. I appreciate your father's sacrifice.

Look, I'm obviously being snarky. I actually tend to like the Air Force folks with whom I'm serving. But I do get tired of them telling me how little they sacrifice and how much it must suck to go out to sea. Also, an alarming number of them do wax their eyebrows.

Also, your mortality numbers are somewhat skewed. By looking at the mortality of one unit, and comparing it with an entire service--including the rearguard is a ridiculous comparison of apples and oranges. What do you think the mortality rate of the Indianopolis was? Of the Arizona? How about the Tin Can Warriors of Taffy 3? How about specific sqadrons that launched at Midway, and extended beyond their fuel range knowing that they wouldn't come home? I can assure you that the marotality rate was far higher than 12% in all cases, but again, it's not a fair comparison.

No Air Force during World War II? What do you call those things in the sky they were flying in? Mortality rates of some combat units were horribly high, while mortality rates of other units were thankfully low. Who is to stand up and judge them? Not me. There are no apples and oranges in mortality rates.
My Dad's gravestone reads World War II, Korea and Vietnam. He wore the dark brown jacket and "pink" pants of an Army Air Force officer in World War II. He wore the dark blue of the Air Force in Korea and Vietnam. What is the difference? His World War II unit went past enemy lines. His units with Korea and Vietnam were behind enemy lines. Does that mean his service during those wars was less important than World War II? He is one of thousands who have the same history. When he was laid to rest at Fort Logan there was the Air Force Honor Guard in their dark blue. Does that make them less of an Honor Guard than another service?
I don't mean to be snarky either. You are perhaps getting the sense of how much I appreciate your service. I'm hopefully giving you something to think about. If you wish to dismiss it as coming from some crabby old buzzard, so be it. I really don't care. I'll still thank you for your sacrifice, service and valor. Take care.

And for sackman who was concerned about a thread jack: Too bad Calhoun didn't send out his offense to run the option on the 2 point play instead of the kicking team.

No Air Force during World War II? What do you call those things in the sky they were flying in? Mortality rates of some combat units were horribly high, while mortality rates of other units were thankfully low. Who is to stand up and judge them? Not me. There are no apples and oranges in mortality rates.
My Dad's gravestone reads World War II, Korea and Vietnam. He wore the dark brown jacket and "pink" pants of an Army Air Force officer in World War II. He wore the dark blue of the Air Force in Korea and Vietnam. What is the difference? His World War II unit went past enemy lines. His units with Korea and Vietnam were behind enemy lines. Does that mean his service during those wars was less important than World War II? He is one of thousands who have the same history. When he was laid to rest at Fort Logan there was the Air Force Honor Guard in their dark blue. Does that make them less of an Honor Guard than another service?
I don't mean to be snarky either. You are perhaps getting the sense of how much I appreciate your service. I'm hopefully giving you something to think about. If you wish to dismiss it as coming from some crabby old buzzard, so be it. I really don't care. I'll still thank you for your sacrifice, service and valor. Take care.

And for sackman who was concerned about a thread jack: Too bad Calhoun didn't send out his offense to run the option on the 2 point play instead of the kicking team.

Let me try this again, Buff 30.

1. DBT was celebrating the sacrifice of the Air Force Cadets. My point was, they don't really sacrifice so much. I wasn't talking talking about WWII, Korea or Vietnam. Did you not see the article where an Air Force servicemember is safer in Iraq than the average American citizen? Does that sound like sacrifice? Have you seen how the members of this service live? I have.

Do you really, really believe that your Dad would celebrate their sacrifice after what he saw and did? That was my point from the beginning...

2. Again, I wasn't the one comparing the casualty rate of the 8 Army Air Force to other services. That was your choice. I'm quite familiar with the 8th Air Force, by the way, and something like half of all air mishaps/casualties in the war belonged to them, meaning their numbers are skewed. Here, let me take your approach.

Nearly 1200 personnel died on the USS Arizona...about 80% of the entire crew. The USS Arizona suffered 80% casualties while the US Army only suffered 2% casualties!

How is that even related? That's why I said that comparing units to larger services is like comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't minimize the sacrifice that those individuals made in any service or any capacity. I remain humbled and in awe of those that make that sacrifice. I'm humbled by those that take the risk daily, now or back then, even when they don't pay the ultimate price.

I just don't understand celebrating those that don't really sacrifice so much. The Air Force tour in theater is half that of the other services. Their facilities back home are amazing. They are safe and they have good jobs. I do appreciate that they volunteer to serve--but building it into something it's not was what I was protesting early on.

Do you really think your father would disagree if he were here? Or do you think he'd look at this bloated, comfy, safe Air Force and say, "Jeez, what a bunch of sisies"?

You know better than me.

Do you really think your father would disagree if he were here? Or do you think he'd look at this bloated, comfy, safe Air Force and say, "Jeez, what a bunch of sisies"?

You know better than me.

Let me try again. I realize that Air Force cadets haven't done anything until after they graduate. It's the same for all academies.
My old Dad was here as recently as the beginning of this year 2011. Mom and Dad lived near the south entrance of the Air Force Academy for about 40+ years after he retired. Although I haven't lived in Colorado Springs for a long time, I'm very familiar with Peterson AFB, Fort Carson and the Air Force Academy. Dad and I talked about many things over the years. One thing he never did was call anyone in any military service a sissy. Take care and God speed.

To stay on topic for sackman, I'm glad Colorado didn't hire Calhoun. Not because of his decision at the end of the game. I didn't think he would be a good fit for the Colorado football program.

Back