What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Minnesota VS CU - which is the better job?

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
I would imagine that at least for the time being, Minnesota can pay a lot better than we can. Money talks, and bullsh*t walks. That said, I'll shovel some bullsh*t and say that CU should be a better job. The school is nicer, the weather is better, the conference affiliation is better. Recruiting should be easier. I don't know what kind of support the Minny program gets up there. They have to compete against the Vikings for fans, and I think their hockey program draws better than their football program. Chances are, we'll be interviewing some of the same coaches they will.

Thoughts?

Both Minnesota and CU have very little support from there respective University. The only real difference to me is Minnesota has the ability to pay there assistant coaches more than the buffs.

You get what you pay for, and we have Riddle to show for it.

Minnesota cares enough to make a change when it's needed. All other things favor CU, in my highly prejudiced opinion.

If I remember correctly a couple of publications who rate these things still have CU as a top 25 job, I believe Minnesota was a lot further down the list.

Interesting timing on this thread. My brother-in-law came down to visit this weekend from MN and we went to the CU game and talked shop on the two programs. It sounds like the current UM administration wants to hire a big name, get back into the press, and jumpstart the program towards success. They did something similar in BBall by hiring Tubby Smith (although, their BBall program is typically fairly good anyway). But, I think there's some doubt as to how big of a name they can attract. I think they will spend the money to get a big name if they can, and they aren't saddled with a large buyout of their existing/now fired head coach

They have a brand new stadium which is a huge plus, but it's small side compared to the rest of their Big 10 brothers. The campus / stadium have a different feel since it's right in the middle of a huge city. And I think those bits will always hurt recruiting ability. And with Iowa being good and Wisc being good, there's a lot of neighboring competition for talent and eyeballs/fan dollars. Not to mention the division the Gophers will be in is looking pretty tough (Iowa,Cornholers,Mich,MichSt,Northwestern plus the protected cross-division game against Wisc).

In general, I'd say a lot of similarities, but that CU is the better job. Nicer weather, excitement of a brand new conference, reconnecting with our alumni base, we have been successful as a program in the not so distant past. I think the key is does the CU administration show a commitment to winning? Because I'm pretty sure the UM administration will.

Might have to throw LSU in there too.

CU isn't in the same category with LSU. The support from the community and the administration in Baton Rouge far exceeds what we have here. Unfortunate, but true. We have to do more with less. Still, I think that if he were just about anyplace else, Les Miles' job wouldn't be in jeopardy. Their expectations are a tad unrealistic, especially given the conference they play in.

Minny is looking towards a big hire as they just built a new 50k seat stadium that opened in '09 to get out of the Metrodome. However, their fan support sucks. They focus on lattes and the Vikings, not the Gophers. Minny home games are routinely taken over by Hawkeyes (hate to use the word "Hawk" in any reference at this point) and Badgers.

Minnesota averaged 50K per game last year, although that was the first year in the new on-campus stadium so it's bound to drop off. Plus that is capacity. They are in an equally good if not better conference, but they are an afterthought when compared to all the traditional football programs in the Big 10, and that doesn't even include NU coming in. They have a similar problem to CU in that they are in a pro-sports oriented market up there.

Colorado is a much better job. The right coach will still be able to recruit well in Cali and Texas here....which is not the case in Minnesota.

Minnesota has a couple of advantages - they can afford to pay a lot more than CU. They bought out Brewster for next to nothing. They get the Big 10 network money. I think CU is easier to recruit to then Minneapolis. I think it is a toss up in a lot of ways.

LSU is to CU as CU is to Minnesota. It's embarrassing to even compare us to the Gophers. Iowa State might be more appropriate. Minny hasn't won the Big Ten or gone to the Rose Bowl since the '60s. Think about that. Even places like Wazzu and Kansas have risen up and had great seasons every blue moon.

The only thing Minny has on us is money and conference affiliation.

CU isn't in the same category with LSU. The support from the community and the administration in Baton Rouge far exceeds what we have here. Unfortunate, but true. We have to do more with less. Still, I think that if he were just about anyplace else, Les Miles' job wouldn't be in jeopardy. Their expectations are a tad unrealistic, especially given the conference they play in.

The only thing Minny has on us is money and conference affiliation.

and total enrollment around 55,000......to CU's 30,000. over the years, that kind of alum population multiplies exponentially and has to have advantages in donors, boosters, base fan support etc. that said, no institution of higher learning should be that big, imo.....so, i'm not advocating for it...or see it as an overall "bonus"....just to note the situation.

CU is a much better job for now. another 5 years of scuffling and our glory will begin to look "historical". in 2001, today's recruits were 7-9 years old. subtract another 5 there and it starts to get scary.

Minnesota has a couple of advantages - they can afford to pay a lot more than CU. They bought out Brewster for next to nothing. They get the Big 10 network money. I think CU is easier to recruit to then Minneapolis. I think it is a toss up in a lot of ways.

well that has more to do with a good contract on their part....i think the buyout in his contract was only 600k or something like that. Hopefully CU learned their lesson from this Hawk fiasco.

I will say this - Minneapolis/St. Paul is a very cool city (cities). It's got a lot going for it. The problem is the weather. It's absolutely brutal.

The Minnesota State Screaming Eagles have had a better football history than the Gophers. That's a fact.

images

images

Oh I thought you were naming schools that we will be competing with for head coaching positions this year. Although we wont be competing with LSU as well. A coach looking into LSU wont consider CU.

Looking at this with Buff-colored glasses, I'd have to say that CU is a better job, mostly because we have a better football history than the Go-fers. I'm not sure how they have supported football over the years, but I do know that Minnesota fans love their Go-fer hockey - always lots of fans at DU and CC games.

cu is the better job by far. we don't have a better athletic program than the U but we care a lot more about football. minny can do good by themselves by hiring a good coach that can also recruit (brewster could only do one of those). he got loads of texas talent to come to the cities.

superior - how in the **** is st. paul a better city than mpls?

cu is the better job by far. we don't have a better athletic program than the U but we care a lot more about football. minny can do good by themselves by hiring a good coach that can also recruit (brewster could only do one of those). he got loads of texas talent to come to the cities.

superior - how in the **** is st. paul a better city than mpls?

I'm going to have to agree with him there. We have a pretty big network up there that I have to work on all the time. Much rather be in St. Paul.

I'm going to have to agree with him there. We have a pretty big network up there that I have to work on all the time. Much rather be in St. Paul.

st. paul is a ghost town unless the wild are playing. it is a really pretty city but as a young kid i would rather be partying in uptown or downtown mpls than st. paul.

back to topic - CU owns.

St. Paul is a friendly place with a good service industry who take decent care of the customer. I'm on business and not interested in the party scene. Mpls has one of the most rude/indifferent service industries in the country. Very bazaar for 2 cities that close together, but the difference is day and night. If been to both dozens of times on business and can't stand going to Mpls.

sounds like Dallas/Ft. Worth. Ft. Worth is kind of interesting, has a sense of locality, arts, redevelopment with historical renovations and a mix of restaurants.....while Dallas is a sprawling nightmare of suburbs and chain mexican restaurants.

sounds like Dallas/Ft. Worth. Ft. Worth is kind of interesting, has a sense of locality, arts, redevelopment with historical renovations and a mix of restaurants.....while Dallas is a sprawling nightmare of suburbs and chain mexican restaurants.
:huh: mpls has much more in the way of arts, theatre, culture, restaurants etc. not sure why i care, though. carry on folks.

I suppose I've never thought too much about there being a difference between the two cities. I know everybody up there refers to them at "the cities". I have always lumped them together and called them "Minneapolis". In any event, the metro area that comprises both the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the surrounding suburbs (Bloomington, for example) is nice. If it weren't located about 10 degrees south of the North Pole, it would be a decent place to live. As it stands, the winters are freakish, and the summers are unbearable. Only the months of May and September are worthwhile up there. And from my experience, May can be a bit dicey, too.

I suppose I've never thought too much about there being a difference between the two cities. I know everybody up there refers to them at "the cities". I have always lumped them together and called them "Minneapolis". In any event, the metro area that comprises both the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the surrounding suburbs (Bloomington, for example) is nice. If it weren't located about 10 degrees south of the North Pole, it would be a decent place to live. As it stands, the winters are freakish, and the summers are unbearable. Only the months of May and September are worthwhile up there. And from my experience, May can be a bit dicey, too.
when did you turn into such a...pussy? :smile2:

True we are seriously deficient in the corndog category...

when did you turn into such a...pussy? :smile2:

I've always been a puss. I don't do well in cold weather. I know it's not quite as bad in MSP as it is in Fargo, but it's close. I got a dose of upper midwest weather and I never want to deal with that chit again.

Back