What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Miscellaneous volleyball off-season news

Was just briefly at the meet and greet, and Coah Mahoney gave a very brief (maybe 3-4 minute) speech. A couple things of note:

1). Both perennial power Penn State ( winners of 6 of the last 10 national championships) and CSU will be among those playing at the Keg during non- conference.

2). They're implementing new offensive and defensive systems, so big learning curve for ALL the players, whether they're sophomores or seniors.

Forgot to mention Coach Mahoney also said who the Buff's spring training season opponents are. I believe he said there's only one home match, 4/21 vs. Northern Colorado. The Buffs have a very solid road slate, facing CSU in Ft. Collins, and defending champ Nebraska and a final 4 Kansas team.

Last edited:
Email said the match vs Nebraska in Ogallala is expected to be a sellout. Wonder if one can buy tickets ahead of time because I am not driving that far to not get in the door!

I know when Nebraska used to come to Coors when we were in the Big 12, they would bring two busloads from western Nebraska.

Email said the match vs Nebraska in Ogallala is expected to be a sellout. Wonder if one can buy tickets ahead of time because I am not driving that far to not get in the door!

I know when Nebraska used to come to Coors when we were in the Big 12, they would bring two busloads from western Nebraska.
Ah yes, the huddled masses yearning to breath free.

Article from the Nebraska side (thanks to vup on volleytalk for the link)- http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210738492 . Looks like tickets ($10) are on sale through the local high school starting mid to late next month, so might be hard to get for those outside Ogallala??? (One of the other volleytalk posters also says the HS's new gym is smaller, and he/ she expects tickets to sell out in minutes.)

Boy, our neighbors to the east love their volleyball- from the above-linked article (and remember this is a spring SCRIMMAGE, not a match that "counts")- "The Huskers traveled to Grand Island last spring, topping another former Big Eight/Big 12 foe, Kansas State, 3-0 in front of a sold-out crowd of 6,006 at the Heartland Events Center. "

Last edited:
Yes Nebraska fans love their volleyball. It's a tough ticket in Lincoln for an fan of the opponent unless you can get one of the player comp tickets. I know. I tried without one and could not get in.

Hard to know what if anything it means, but evidently "The (USA Team) tryout (See post #29 for more detail) concluded on Sunday at 8 a.m. with tournament style play, along with 16-18 athletes selected by the staff to participate in a “USA” training session." (From the http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyba.../Annual-Womens-Open-Tryouts-Allows-for-Dreams webpage also noted above.)

In the Volleytalk forum, it's assumed that the ~18 players noted above for a "USA" training session (out of 231 players at the tryouts overall) may have shown a little more promise. Of those 18, it ended up 2 were Buffs, with Gabby Simpson being 1 of 3 setters selected into that group, and Alexa Smith 1 of the 5 or so outside (AKA left side) hitters. Hopefully for them it may mean they might have a better chance of getting selected to one of the three "competition options" (see post #29 for more details) this summer. Congrats to them for that, and best of wishes to all 5 Buffs that were at the tryouts. Hope the spring training period goes well!

As usual, thanks to the Volleytalk forum (Poster matt7of8 in this case) for providing a link to some volleyball news of the rules variety- namely OPTIONAL instant replay/ video challenge systems have just been OK'd in volleyball (limit 3 challenges per match) starting next season- http://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...ens-volleyball?cid=ncaavbsocial_tw_sf21702904 .

CU seems to have pretty good video in matches I've seen (both streamed and on Pac 12 networks), so assume/ hope the Buffs will use the system?
(Although I have a feeling the questionable to bad calls in volleyball even out over time, I seem to remember the Buffs got a couple bad calls going against them in both UCLA matches last season at crucial times. As with all sports, I assume there's the speed of play concern argument that always gets brought up when replay is brought into sports, but 3 challenges per match per team seems like a minimal cost in time for getting at least a few questionable calls "right".)

Note- there was a HORRIBLE call against Florida in its NCAA tournament match against Texas last season where a ball 1-2 feet in was called out at a crucial part of the match with a Final 4 appearance on the line. Wonder how much that call influenced this change to the rules?

Looks like tickets for the Nebraska scrimmage will be impossible to buy except for those who live in or want to visit Ogallala tomorrow. Per http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210738492 , tickets will be available at 11:00 AM Thursday (tomorrow) at a local school there, with no computer (Ticketmaster, etc.) ticket sales option, and cash ($10/ticket) the only purchase option. Nebraska fans on volleytalk are anticipating the tickets will sell out immediately, so I assume anyone interested will probably (??????) want to be in line at the school (Prairie View) well before the 11:00 start of the ticket sale.

Last edited:
I won't be in Ogallala in the morning. I will be trying to buy tickets for another event!

Happy the instant replay challenge is becoming a reality. I get the B1G network and they were using it last season. Saw plenty of calls overturned.

Wow. Someone in Volleytalk (thanks to HolidayHusker) posted the below picture. This is supposedly the line in Ogallala 2 HOURS before tickets go on sale for the SPRING volleyball SCRIMMAGE between the Buffs and Corn.

NE Line.jpg

Okay, jokes about there being nothing better to do in Ogallala (it's true) aside, you have to admire the volleyball fanbase.

Okay. I feel dirty, I'm off to shower.

Okay, jokes about there being nothing better to do in Ogallala (it's true) aside, you have to admire the volleyball fanbase.

Okay. I feel dirty, I'm off to shower.
Then get in line. Because what they are not telling you, is that the line is also to use the town shower.

Then get in line. Because what they are not telling you, is that the line is also to use the town shower.
Of all the the things they line up for in that town, I'm guessing showers aren't one of them. For Christ's sake, they have an aquifer!

Note- Buff volleyball got into a brief twitter conversation a few days ago with beach volleyball great (3 time Olympian) Holly McPeak, and sounds like beach volleyball may still at minimum be on a program "wish list".

For the vast majority of allbuffians who I assume don't follow the sport, Beach (name officially changed this year from sand) volleyball has qualified as an official NCAA championship sport for the 1st time this year, with the 1st NCAA champion to be crowned at championships to be held in Gulf Shores, Alabama this May 6th through 8th. (Probably not a surprise that 3 So. Cal. schools, Pepperdine, USC and UCLA, are currently ranked #'s 1-3 in the country.)

Article on Ms. Smith going to China now available via link in below tweet.

"
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Before Alexa Smith even puts on a University of Colorado jersey in competition, the sophomore transfer will represent the Buffs as a member of the USA Volleyball Collegiate National Team that will tour China this summer.

“This is a great opportunity for Alexa to continue her growth and development within the USA pipeline,” Colorado head coach Jesse Mahoney said. “Alexa's work ethic and discipline is unmatched and it's gratifying to see her hard work pay off.”

The squad, which is part of USA Volleyball’s High Performance pipeline, will train and compete in a series of matches from June 18-July 1. After a short training period June 18-19 in Los Angeles, the team will be in Shanghai from June 21-23, followed by Nanjing from June 23-26 and Beijing June 26-July 1. The CNT-China squad was also be traveling in conjunction with the Pac-12 Conference All-Star Team.

Smith is one of four Pac-12 representatives on the team with two from Washington and one other from Stanford.

“I feel really honored to be selected for this team and I can't wait to travel to China and represent the USA,” Smith said. “I'm excited to experience the culture there, as well as play a lot of really competitive volleyball.”
"

Back