What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Misti Hawkins Story in the Post

It's not about his being successful but rather it coming with the job. It is part of the reason coaches are so well compensated. If you don't like it, don't become the HC of a major football program.

Again why does it come with job? So because of his chosen profession he should bend over and take it from the public? Bull****.

I don't care what you do for a living, they way we go after public figures is crap, and it is NOT part of the job description.

I have no problem with criticism, that comes with the job. But alot of what I read on here is above and beyond criticism and constructive debate.

Alot of what is posted on here just asinine snide comments.

Again why does it come with job? So because of his chosen profession he should bend over and take it from the public? Bull****.

Because it is included in the compensation and because he CHOSE the profession.

We all relate to them as humans. But humans make mistakes. In this case DH. Starting only one QB while trying to RS 3 or 4 QBs is bad, bad coaching. He could have RS'ed Hansen next year when Evans could have played backup. Having no second choice to go to when the first choice is your son looks like nepotism. It may not be, but I don't remember any other coach at any time making that choice to have one QB only availible. Just a bad decision when the #1 is your kid.

This being said, if CH had come out on fire and guns a blazin', and we were 3-1 right now, it would not be a huge issue. And the DL did have to get some experience-- with the D playing the first three games like they did against UT, we are 4-1 or 3-2 right now. And all this would probably not be an issue. Or as big of one.

This is it in a nutshell. I hoped for a good season, but Hawkins himself blew my expectations way up. Why, if we had all these problems? When he talks the talk, and can't walk the walk, then gets pissy with fans, boosters, and the media when called on it-- makes me think he is way over his head in the Big 12. When my team is 1-4 and I cannot look at the remaining schedule and say 'There is a almost sure win!' then something is wrong. And that starts with the coach.

Don't worry Jimmy, you will always be the '#1 Flamer' in our hearts!!:lol:

With how pissed I am with what Hawk has put on the field so far this year, understand that I feel starting over sets us back again, and if I could script out the future, TH would go nuts tossing the ball all over the field and CU makes a bowl game and this team does 'fix the small stuff' and start rolling. I DO like the Hawkins family. I really do. I think they are stand up people, and Dan wants to take CU to a MNC. I am just not sold that he can do that any longer. I am thinking that signing Cody really put more pressure on him to rebuild the team than he needed. Quite honestly, I like the family so much that if Dan can turn this around and win enough for a bowl game (and win that) then I hope he stays and would not mind Cody as a student coach with a higher coaching position (like Ambrose last year) sometime in the future. I think he will be a good coach. I just think trying to win in the B12 with someone of limited height and abilities, who happens to be the coaches son, is a reaaaaaly bad idea.

If Hawk can fix this and win a bowl game this year, I hope he stays and gets more chances to build this (no extention though!!) If we end up with 2 or 3 wins, then he has to go. Good family or not, that record against this schedule means he is in over his head and cannot get the job done.

This would be an example of a constructive post that is critical of Hawkins in the area's he has not performed without going after the guy a personal level. Well said.

And this post resemble everything that I find disgusting in America. Just because someone has been successful doesn't mean that should should be open targets for the public. What ever happened to having respect for people.

Outstanding job of either not understanding my post, or intentionally misconstruing what I said to promote your misguided agenda. Nice use of cliche, as well, by the way.

Pointing out that someone's performance is piss poor when it is, in fact, piss poor is not disrespectful.

What is, out of curiosity, your definition of respect? That Hawkins should be worshiped even though he is Grade-A incompetent? It is so far beyond clear that the only 'success' this man ever had in a football sense is the 'success' of Petersen that he took credit for.

Your lack of objectivity is so frightening I think that you must be either related to Hawkins or a friend of his.

I feel sorry for the other guys on the team. Sure, their "ride is free" win or lose, but losing must be getting damn old for them by now. It must be getting very hard to "pump yourself up" mentally before these games.

Outstanding job of either not understanding my post, or intentionally misconstruing what I said to promote your misguided agenda. Nice use of cliche, as well, by the way.

Pointing out that someone's performance is piss poor when it is, in fact, piss poor is not disrespectful.

What is, out of curiosity, your definition of respect? That Hawkins should be worshiped even though he is Grade-A incompetent? It is so far beyond clear that the only 'success' this man ever had in a football sense is the 'success' of Petersen that he took credit for.

Your lack of objectivity is so frightening I think that you must be either related to Hawkins or a friend of his.

Yep you posts are just full of objective criticism and not subtle personal jabs.

I read you post just fine the first time, and I disagree with premise that he is open season because of his job title.

Last edited:
I personally don't see what he has done as going after the fans. He hasn't personally attacked anyone.

"The only speculation was from you guys," he told reporters. "There was no speculation from my boss, there was no speculation from our big hitters (donors). That speculation came from you guys." OK. Was the week following a 58-34 loss at Toledo disconcerting? "Not at all. I love these guys. I’ve said this many times before. "Unfortunately in this (media) business, there’s not a lot of you that have children. I don’t know why that is. But when you have kids, you love them up. You give them unconditional love. And you hang in there. "And sometimes they flunk science, and sometimes they strike out and sometimes they drop fly balls and sometimes they miss last-second shots. But when you’re a true parent, you’re a true teacher, and you hang in there and you keep believing them and keep working on things, and eventually it turns."

This was not going after the fans. first it was directed at the media. 2 what part of it isn't true? Until you have your own kids, it tough to understand being a parent.

His quote about taking risks is 100% true. Most people in life are risk adverse, very few of us really know what its like to put EVERYTHING on the line for an idea.

You believe and back anything hawk says or does, do you have a mind of your own? Because some don't have kids they aren't worthy of having an opinion? Okay, tell hawk to quit talking about war in iraq with his family member because some of us were there, he was not. I left colorado for a move to washington state for my son's needs and this guy wants to run his mouth about how fans don't know about sacrifice or risk?

His 14-28 record and excuses for said record are my gripes, if that's too over the top then I suggest counseling..

You believe and back anything hawk says or does, do you have a mind of your own? Because some don't have kids they aren't worthy of having an opinion? Okay, tell hawk to quit talking about war in iraq with his family member because some of us were there, he was not. I left colorado for a move to washington state for my son's needs and this guy wants to run his mouth about how fans don't know about sacrifice or risk?

His 14-28 record and excuses for said record are my gripes, if that's too over the top then I suggest counseling..

Please highlight for me where he says this in his quote. Because I am missing it. The only thing I read into that quote, is that as when you are a parent (and He views himself as a parent of these kids) you stick behind your kids not matter what.

Is that such a bad thing to say?

Why the risk quote bothers everyone is beyond me. Again, how many people have taken real risks in life. Heck I take a risk everyday when I get in the car, but that is NOT what he is talking about here.

I fully admit, I am a risk adverse person, It doesn't mean I have never taken a risk, but I know people who have risked alot more that I have on more than 1 occasion. I honestly don't believe Hawkins is saying, no one ever takes a risk. But the principal behind is statement is true. Very few people in life take huge risks. For some reason people want to read this quote as if he said. "I AM the only one who has ever taken a risk". That is not what he said, to much reading between the lines is going on in my opinion.

As someone who has a bad habit of saying things that get taken out of context, I am not about to beat up Hawkins for having the same bad habit.

If Hawkins wins, he's paid millions of dollars.

If Hawkins loses, he's paid millions of dollars.

If Hawkins does so bad that he gets relieved of his duties as coach, he..............gets paid millions of dollars.

Perhaps you could explain to the rest of us what exactly Hawkins is "risking" in this whole scenario, because that's where I seem to get confused. :huh:

Why should any of these ******** care about Misty?

Wow. So because I'm no longer a fan of Danny's coaching (or press conferences), I'm now a heartless bastard with no feelings towards other people?

I did not know that.

And this post resemble everything that I find disgusting in America. Just because someone has been successful doesn't mean that should should be open targets for the public. What ever happened to having respect for people.

Dan knew that with the big paycheck comes big responsibility. Nobody made him take the big paycheck. He could have stayed at Boise for probably as long as he wanted to.

But he wanted the big paycheck, so he gets the things that come with it.

I don't care what you do for a living, they way we go after public figures is crap, and it is NOT part of the job description.

Sure it is. As others have said, along with the big paycheck comes big scrutiny and a public spotlight. If you don't want that stuff, don't take the big paycheck.

He could have stayed at Boise as long as he wanted. Nobody made him come here...

Sure it is. As others have said, along with the big paycheck comes big scrutiny and a public spotlight. If you don't want that stuff, don't take the big paycheck.

He could have stayed at Boise as long as he wanted. Nobody made him come here...

yep. and he knew or should have known he was putting his kid in the crosshairs, too. i don't think anyone should personally attack any player, including cody. but, the dad is highly compensated and is fair game for legit criticism. his kid is an undersized qb who had 1 other scholarship offer-- boise state. hawkins senior created this situation. i wish it had worked out better but it didn't.

If Hawkins wins, he's paid millions of dollars.

If Hawkins loses, he's paid millions of dollars.

If Hawkins does so bad that he gets relieved of his duties as coach, he..............gets paid millions of dollars.

Perhaps you could explain to the rest of us what exactly Hawkins is "risking" in this whole scenario, because that's where I seem to get confused. :huh:

But his kids have had to switch schools several times!:rolleyes:

Chilly, as much as you do not want to admit it, big time college football coaches are accountable to us "idiots". You know, the people who pay the money for tickets. You know, the people who donate money to the AD. You know, the people who have attended the school or grew up rooting for the team. This school is bigger than one football coach, it will be here long after Hawkins leaves. Those same "idiots" will be here long after he leaves.

For someone who applauds Hawkins' honesty, I'm surprised you do not have an issue with Hawkins' attitude toward legit criticism, and make no mistake, there is plenty of legit criticism out there right now. I read the papers. I watch the and listen to the coach's show. "Honesty" is not the first word that pops in my head when describing what I'm hearing.

The funny thing is, as valdez mentioned last night, the Denver/Boulder media really is not that tough on the college coaches in the area. At all. If you cannot handle the heat from the media here, you probably are not going to make it in a lot of places.

The funny thing is, as valdez mentioned last night, the Denver/Boulder media really is not that tough on the college coaches in the area. At all. If you cannot handle the heat from the media here, you probably are not going to make it in a lot of places not named Boise.

fify

yep. and he knew or should have known he was putting his kid in the crosshairs, too. i don't think anyone should personally attack any player, including cody. but, the dad is highly compensated and is fair game for legit criticism. his kid is an undersized qb who had 1 other scholarship offer-- boise state. hawkins senior created this situation. i wish it had worked out better but it didn't.

don't disagree with this. Legit being the key word.

I personally don't see what he has done as going after the fans. He hasn't personally attacked anyone.

"The only speculation was from you guys," he told reporters. "There was no speculation from my boss, there was no speculation from our big hitters (donors). That speculation came from you guys." OK. Was the week following a 58-34 loss at Toledo disconcerting? "Not at all. I love these guys. I’ve said this many times before. "Unfortunately in this (media) business, there’s not a lot of you that have children. I don’t know why that is. But when you have kids, you love them up. You give them unconditional love. And you hang in there. "And sometimes they flunk science, and sometimes they strike out and sometimes they drop fly balls and sometimes they miss last-second shots. But when you’re a true parent, you’re a true teacher, and you hang in there and you keep believing them and keep working on things, and eventually it turns."

This was not going after the fans. first it was directed at the media. 2 what part of it isn't true? Until you have your own kids, it tough to understand being a parent.

His quote about taking risks is 100% true. Most people in life are risk adverse, very few of us really know what its like to put EVERYTHING on the line for an idea.

The problem with his statement about being a parent is that he isn't being evaluated as a parent, he's being evaluated as a coach. The roles are entirely different, and trying to excuse his decisions as a coach by invoking the standards of a parent is disingenuous and self-serving. The fact that he seems to conflate the two roles is a significant oart of the criticism that has been directed toward him in regards to his decisions at the quarterback position.

I disagree 100% with your take on the "taking risks" statement. As many here have stated, many people take far greater risks than accepting a job with a guaranteed contract. For him to generalize that way about anybody who criticizes him is utterly and completely condescending on his part...

So, I'm a douche?

Yep,

People don't like hearing about how they are bad people because they are tired of seeing bad football. Not many around here have ever said that DH or CH are bad people, so generalizing everyone that doesn't agree with you makes you look awful Douche-ish.

Hopefully, Danny Boy can make everyone happy this weekend with a victory over a top 20 team. If no, another long week, with more conflama.

Did anybody else catch this quote in the article??

The defeat dropped the Buffs to 1-4 this season, 14-28 overall in Hawkins' four years at CU, and further inflamed the emotions of fans and alumni, some of whom, having gotten one Hawkins benched, wouldn't mind seeing the other deposed as coach.

So now the fans got Cody benched??? :rolleyes:

It's a good article, btw. And she sounds like a fantastic lady, which reinforces the impression I've always had of her. Ironically, it sounds like she's handling the criticism of her husband much better than some people who have never met any of the Hawkins family...

Did anybody else catch this quote in the article??

So now the fans got Cody benched??? :rolleyes:
I'd take from that quote that it is the writer's opinion that the program is "getting it" as far as the state of the fans is concerned.

I know how great it is for parents to have their kids along with them, and I know a degree from CU has to be better in just about every job-arena than one from Boise State, but this is a choice of nepotism, of ease and comfort, all those great warm happy feelings. They should enjoy their nepotism to the fullest.

Back