What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mizzou Loss Soul Searching

Deleted member 807

Pro
Wins against OU, NU, TT, CSU in 2007
Beat WVU in 2008
The 2006 team that was competitive in defeat
Recruiting efforts: Sealed the state boarder with Mohler, Miller, Cunningham. Picked up blue chips like Scott & Polk and a steal with Stewart.
There is a bunch of Hawk's talent sitting on the bench due to RS, injury or academics. I want to see what the coaches can do with MTM, Simas, Miller, Polk, and the others.
Bohn/Hawkins have better community & media relations than Thorp/Barnett. The scandal is behind the school, the practice bubble is up, Folsom is filling up.

Cons
Montana State
Mizzou
Inability to win on the road against B12 north rivals.

Up until Mizzou, CU could go head to head with anybody. The losses to ranked teams like Georgia, FSU, Alabama and KU were at least competitive, and showed a lot of heart.

This Mizzou game was demoralizing and embarassing. I will reserve judgement on Hawk and his coaches based on 1) how the team rebounds, and 2) based on beating Texas in Austin in 2009.

I expect that the Buffs are better than a .500 club. I expect CU to be competitive in the north. I expect CU to win the B12 and show up in a BCS bowl on or before 2011.

To pull the rug out from Hawkins and his coaches infront of his recruits is just an other way of extending the program's mediocrity. I'd rather see how this team and coaching staff responds to a once every three year disaster.

Pro
Beat WVU in 2008
Recruiting efforts: Sealed the state boarder with Mohler, Miller, Cunningham. Picked up blue chips like Scott & Polk and a steal with Stewart.
There is a bunch of Hawk's talent sitting on the bench due to RS, injury or academics. I want to see what the coaches can do with MTM, Simas, Miller, Polk, and the others.
Bohn/Hawkins have better community & media relations than Thorp/Barnett. The scandal is behind the school, the practice bubble is up, Folsom is filling up.

Cons
Montana State
Mizzou

Up until Mizzou, CU could go head to head with anybody. The losses to ranked teams like Georgia, FSU, Alabama and KU were at least competitive, and showed a lot of heart.

This Mizzou game was demoralizing and embarassing. I will reserve judgement on Hawk and his coaches based on 1) how the team rebounds, and 2) based on beating Texas in Austin in 2009.

I expect that the Buffs are better than a .500 club. I expect CU to be competitive in the north. I expect CU to win the B12 and show up in a BCS bowl on or before 2011.

To pull the rug out from Hawkins and his coaches infront of his recruits is just an other way of extending the program's mediocrity. I'd rather see how this team and coaching staff responds to a once every three year disaster.

I agree. We are never going to be a U$C. But I would really like to see the Buffs be competitive in every game, have 7-8 W's per year be the baseline, challenge for the B12 N every year, challenge for the B12 every few years and be a nationally relevant team with a dark horse chance at the MNC at least once every decade.

I'm with you, with the proviso that if Hawk allows the team to get annihilated again as it was by mizzou that's it for me as far as giving him the benefit of the doubt. They can lose the rest of their games from here to eternity as long as they're not getting embarrassed. No opponent should EVER be able to mark the CU game down as an easy win as they do now. When the opponents walk off the field win or lose they should know they were in a battle against warriors. Mizzou didn't even break a sweat. Neither did texas '08 or '05. Unacceptable.

I was right there with you most of the post until this part. You're honestly going to base your assessment of Hawkins on how well they play next year in Texas against a team potentially coming off a conference championship (and maybe even national championship)? Not to mention that Mack Brown has only lost six games in Austin in his career at Texas. I think you're going to be disappointed if you're looking at that game as the benchmark.

I'm with you, with the proviso that if Hawk allows the team to get annihilated again as it was by mizzou that's it for me as far as giving him the benefit of the doubt. They can lose the rest of their games from here to eternity as long as they're not getting embarrassed. No opponent should EVER be able to mark the CU game down as an easy win as they do now. When the opponents walk off the field win or lose they should know they were in a battle against warriors. Mizzou didn't even break a sweat. Neither did texas '08 or '05. Unacceptable.

Which is it man? The other thread you talk about losses being losses and in this thread you talk about losses being acceptable as long as they are not embarrassing?:confused:

Which is it man? The other thread you talk about losses being losses and in this thread you talk about losses being acceptable as long as they are not embarrassing?:confused:

I'm not sure which thread you are referring to. I've always said that I'd be happy if they could just compete and play like warriors. Sure I've said that football is about winning but I mean that in it's totality. If they went out there on saturday and hit the tigers in the mouth and left it all on the field but walked out with a loss they're still winners in my book because they're making progress. Do you see progress in what actually happened saturday? On any level?

I'm not sure which thread you are referring to. I've always said that I'd be happy if they could just compete and play like warriors. Sure I've said that football is about winning but I mean that in it's totality. If they went out there on saturday and hit the tigers in the mouth and left it all on the field but walked out with a loss they're still winners in my book because they're making progress. Do you see progress in what actually happened saturday? On any level?

You're confusing the hell out of me. You post an article today talking about Washington and you mention there might be some parallels to our program. You make a post how we have basically become an afterthought in college football in a passionate post, but then talk about how playing hard and competing is all that matters? Something is not adding up here.

I don't take delight in moral victories. Sure, it is nice to compete, but wins and losses are what matters in the end. Being 7-5 with three close losses is still 7-5.

You're confusing the hell out of me. You post an article today talking about Washington and you mention there might be some parallels to our program. You make a post how we have basically become an afterthought in college football in a passionate post, but then talk about how playing hard and competing is all that matters? Something is not adding up here.

I don't take delight in moral victories. Sure, it is nice to compete, but wins and losses are what matters in the end. Being 7-5 with three close losses is still 7-5.

Sorry, I don't mean to confuse you or anyone. I'm like a lot of folks, I write when I'm fired up about something and maybe the tone trends one way in one thread and another way in another thread. Let me clarify. I am not a straight up wins and losses guy though clearly that is the bottom line. I believe we have the right to expect measurable progress from the program. I'm not seeing it and I grow weary of Hawk's faux zen witticisms as explanations. I'm not sure how to respond to your point about three close losses being three close losses. Umm yes but clearly you would admit that if a team was 7-5 with the 5 losses coming but a total 15 points that team is vastly superior to a team that is 7-5 with 4 losses of more than 30 points each. Which fan base do you think has a more legitimate reason to hope for the future. Also let me break it down to a more elemental reality... which fan base had more fun during the season? Even a heartbreaking loss is fun to watch compared to an humiliation like the mizzou game.

Pro
Beat WVU in 2008

Cons
Montana State
Mizzou

I think you are stretching to find the sunshine...

The 2006 team that was competitive in Defeat???? Some of those defeats were to horrible teams...Kansas was not very good, Montana State, a bad CSU team, KSU, and getting rocked by Nebraska.

Sealing the borders in recruiting...not happened yet...by the way Mohler is not from Colorado (maybe you mean Major).

I was right there with you most of the post until this part. You're honestly going to base your assessment of Hawkins on how well they play next year in Texas against a team potentially coming off a conference championship (and maybe even national championship)? Not to mention that Mack Brown has only lost six games in Austin in his career at Texas. I think you're going to be disappointed if you're looking at that game as the benchmark.

Good is the enemy of great. After Mizzou, it seems that taking down the horns in Austin is an insurmountable challenge. But for Hawk to be considered great, he needs the signature win on the road in the B12.

I believe the OL line issue can and will be resolved. CU will have the better RB platoon. CU's defense is capable of stopping the opponent with the talent collected. Address the DE position and replace Hypolite, and CU has talent.

The #1 priority is finding an air attack with a QB who can throw >75% completion and a WR who can make the big play. The UT game needs to be Hawk's signature victory on the road against a ranked opponent. If he wins that game, CU is in good hands. If he keeps it close, I'll be luke warm on his long term prospects. If his team gets blown out Mizzouri style, put a fork in it. He's done. Besides, 2009 is the only chance Scott & Stewart and the rest of this team will have to play in Austin. They need to come into that game fired up and make a college career statement.

Good is the enemy of great. After Mizzou, it seems that taking down the horns in Austin is an insurmountable challenge. But for Hawk to be considered great, he needs the signature win on the road in the B12.

I believe the OL line issue can and will be resolved. CU will have the better RB platoon. CU's defense is capable of stopping the opponent with the talent collected. Address the DE position and replace Hypolite, and CU has talent.

The #1 priority is finding an air attack with a QB who can throw >75% completion and a WR who can make the big play. The UT game needs to be Hawk's signature victory on the road against a ranked opponent. If he wins that game, CU is in good hands. If he keeps it close, I'll be luke warm on his long term prospects. If his team gets blown out Mizzouri style, put a fork in it. He's done. Besides, 2009 is the only chance Scott & Stewart and the rest of this team will have to play in Austin. They need to come into that game fired up and make a college career statement.

I would love to see us beat Texas next year, but I don't really agree that the game in Austin next year will tell whether or not Hawk is going to be the guy to lead the Buffs back up the Big 12 ladder. It is hard to win on the road in the Big 12, let alone in Austin with a team that should be loaded and primed for a national title run. By and large, the totality of the 2009 season will tell how far we have come under Hawkins. If we have 8-9 wins and play good football but lose to a top ten conference foe on the road, I'm going to have a hard time believing we have had a ****ty season. Feel free to make that your benchmark game, but I think you're setting yourself up for some major disappointment.

I would love to see us beat Texas next year, but I don't really agree that the game in Austin next year will tell whether or not Hawk is going to be the guy to lead the Buffs back up the Big 12 ladder. It is hard to win on the road in the Big 12, let alone in Austin with a team that should be loaded and primed for a national title run. By and large, the totality of the 2009 season will tell how far we have come under Hawkins. If we have 8-9 wins and play good football but lose to a top ten conference foe on the road, I'm going to have a hard time believing we have had a ****ty season. Feel free to make that your benchmark game, but I think you're setting yourself up for some major disappointment.

Were the Germans disappointed when they attacked Pearl Harbor?

Okay. That's a bad question.

Some choose to call for blood at Mizzou. Some will wait until the cows come home. I pick UT as the bell weather next year. I can live with disappointment, as KU was my bellweather this year. Nebraska was my bell weather last year.

Were the Germans disappointed when they attacked Pearl Harbor?

Okay. That's a bad question.

Some choose to call for blood at Mizzou. Some will wait until the cows come home. I pick UT as the bell weather next year. I can live with disappointment, as KU was my bellweather this year. Nebraska was my bell weather last year.

Fair enough. I will have heightened expectations for next year as well. If we do happen to pull out a win at Texas, that most likely means we're pretty damn good. I can live with that.:smile2:

The final score of the '94 CU vs UT game was 34-31 in our favor. Salaam rushed for over 300 yards, but they had a QB that only played for a few games in his career that passed for nearly 300 yards with 3 TDs.

Now, I didn't see the game so I don't know if we had the victory and let Texas score some garbage time TDs. However, I don't think you let a team that has always been stocked like UT--even when they are on probation, are down and had bad coaches--to let you come within 3 points.

People around here always talk of the '94 team that had a great chance at a mNC. UT was SWC co-Champs, but the SWC was really crappy towards the end of its lifetime, while the Big 8 was strong. Nonetheless, the Buffs should have destroyed the Horns.

We didn't.

I'm going to the game @UT next year and I'm going to be cheering for the Buffs and hoping for the upset. As of now it looks like Texas is going to be returning a lot of great players and athletes and we haven't done very well on the road lately and they will have mNC hopes in their eyes, mabye after a Big12 Championship and a mNC in the trophy case. If anything, I'm glad the team is going to play at Kyle Field this year and @Lincoln and @WVU early next year so that we can better prepare ourselves for one of the loudest and largest crowds this team will ever play in front of. I'm not anticipating a blowout, but judging the coaches off of that game is absurd. Texas lays the wood on a lot of teams at home, even the really good opponents.

I just hope Muschamp is gone by then otherwise it could be a long day.

Last edited:
My post-Mizzou soul-searching had taken me down a new path. I'm trying to spend less time with football, and instead, committing more interest to the volleyball team. It's just more rewarding...

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1553540

You're absolutely right!

girls_volleyball.jpg

Back