What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez vs Apsay vs Liufau

I have no idea how good Montez is or will be. I know that when he was recruited it was as a guy to develop, not as a guy who was ready to go. If he has progressed sufficiently to compete next year for the starting job great, if not I don't want to see him thrown in for the "see what he's got" fantasy.

Sefo was supposed to be a developmental guy as well. When Wood failed so bad and Sefo was thrown in before he was ready he formed some bad habits that we are still paying for. I don't want to see another QB screwed up because the fans aren't willing to wait until he is ready to play.

I do think that that development should include some planned playing time which is something we haven't seen with this years back-ups. The only way to adjust to the speed of real game action is to see it in person.

Apsay to me will max out as a quality depth guy, I haven't seen anything from him in his limited time that says future starter to me. That is fine though because teams need a back up who can give you a chance to not lose games.

I know that nobody wants to hear the patience word but that again is what we are facing.

Well, uh yeah, that's like, just your opinion man.....

Best player plays. I don't care who it is. However, if this is the best we have we are in trouble.

that's kinda been what most sefo "defenders" have been saying.
I'm not defending him. I just have not seen what's behind him enough to speak intelligently on their skills.I'm not sure any of us have seen that much of the backups to make an intelligent decision. I don't see them every day to see their skills or lack of. I guess we have to trust the coaches to play the best players. Now that brings about a whole different bunch of questions.

I'm not defending him. I just have not seen what's behind him enough to speak intelligently on their skills.I'm not sure any of us have seen that much of the backups to make an intelligent decision. I don't see them every day to see their skills or lack of. I guess we have to trust the coaches to play the best players. Now that brings about a whole different bunch of questions.
everyone who has seen practice says it isn't even close, if that helps.

Then we have a coach issue not playing the best players. Thanks I have not seen them in person.
the caveat is that Montez could be that guy, but that he wasn't ready at all this year and the coaches didn't try to get him ready. Unlike Sefo in year 1

Where do some people get the idea that Sefo has been anything other than a bad QB?

Mtn says the same thing over and over about Sefo being ruined by a bad OL his frosh year. 2 years later he's still not very much improved.

Mtn says the same thing over and over about Sefo being ruined by a bad OL his frosh year. 2 years later he's still not very much improved.

this is the most disappointing thing with sefo is the lack of improvement from year to year....back when he played as a frosh i thought we might have a stud qb by the time he was a jr-sr....not the case

It is much harder to unlearn something and change it than it is to learn it right the first time. He developed a lot of bad habits that have become instinct when he was in survival mode.

Which automatically means that "the other guy" whoever that is is much better and should be playing?

No, but let's at least be honest and stop saying Sefo has been "decent" or "not that bad." Sefo being mediocre would be a nice change of pace.

And if he's been bad then what do we have to lose to put someone else in? Are back ups there exclusively in case our bad QB gets injured?

the caveat is that Montez could be that guy, but that he wasn't ready at all this year and the coaches didn't try to get him ready. Unlike Sefo in year 1
This is what baffles me. If Montez really has that kind of skill set, give him reps and let it rip. It isn't like you pushing him past Koy Detmer. Probably too late in the season now....

No, but let's at least be honest and stop saying Sefo has been "decent" or "not that bad." Sefo being mediocre would be a nice change of pace.

Considering what he has had in terms of support from his OL I don't think Sefo has been bad. He hasn't been good either.

He has kept us in games but has then cost us those same games.

I don't call Sefo a good QB but I think he could have been had he not been put in a position to develop the bad habits that keep coming back to bite him. I'd love to see us play with a more effective QB but I think it is fantasy land to think that we have that person on the roster today. This isn't some video game where you plug guys in and out and watch the scoreboard light up.

If Montez develops he might be that guy. We have to remember that he came in very raw as well though. I don't want to see us repeating the same mistakes over and over. Better to take some lumps the rest of this season with Sefo that make a panic move that is likely to put us right back in the same cycle of hoping that the next guy is the answer.

Even if Montez is the eventual answer the way we handle the QB position has to get better. There are reasons that Sefo and Apsay and Montez and now Noyer don't have significant other P5 offers. It is hard enough to find quality QBs when you are recruiting kids that other schools think can play, the odds go further down when you take guys that others don't.

We also have to get out of the video game world of all other things being equal. I don't care who the QB is with our OL play they aren't going to be good laying on their backs with a shoulder pad in the ribs. They also aren't going to be good without a consistent running game to take some of the pressure off the passing game.

No Sefo isn't great but the idea that sticking another QB in there would make us a different team just doesn't make sense.

Identifying that Montez is athletic, big, strong arm, fast on his feet; these are much different accolades than endorsing him as the starting QB this year. I've seen him in practice, just as others have and he is impressive. That doesn't mean he is ready to take on PAC12 defenses. None of us would have any idea until he plays if he is able to read thru progressions, avoid locking in one one target, make a good throw under pressure. I don't see Gehrke as an option and Aspay does not exude confidence either.

By what measure has Sefo not been bad? You just keep typing excuses.

He is our 3rd leading rusher in terms of yardage and 3rd in terms of rushing TD's.

Nationally: (pac-12)
#27 total yardage (#5)
#84 yards/att (#9)
#85 TD's (#11)
#55 INT's, includes anyone who has thrown a pass from scrimmage (#7 for starting QB's)
#52 Completion %age (#7)

Sefo is statistically a mediocre QB. Which by definition is not good, or bad.

He is our 3rd leading rusher in terms of yardage and 3rd in terms of rushing TD's.

Nationally: (pac-12)
#27 total yardage (#5)
#84 yards/att (#9)
#85 TD's (#11)
#55 INT's, includes anyone who has thrown a pass from scrimmage (#7 for starting QB's)
#52 Completion %age (#7)

Sefo is statistically a mediocre QB. Which by definition is not good, or bad.

In totality, look at the overall QB rating and tell me it is mediocre. 83rd overall and 10th in the Pac-12. Not good at all.

In totality, look at the overall QB rating and tell me it is mediocre. 83rd overall and 10th in the Pac-12. Not good at all.

Thats fair. Didn't list QBR, because personally I find that stat useless. But if you use that ranking you are correct.

Sefo is limited in what he can do and this won't change. I think most of us thought he would take a step forward this year, but ultimately he did not. I also think the staff went into the season thinking Sefo had taken a step forward, therefore opened the playbook up and wanted longer developing plays, that could result in big yards. That was a disaster at the beginning of the season, especially the Hawaii game. They then went back to the short/quick passing plays that Sefo can be successful at.

You can be successful team with a Sefo type quarterback, but need a 2001/2002 type team around him to do it.

Back