What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

More and more excited for Bienemy...

I have to admit the John Blake reference does resonate a little with me. A lights out recruiter, awful HC. I do like the potential of Bienemy, but I feel it is necessary that our next HC have at minimum coordinator experience. If he isn't willing to come on as OC/head coach in waiting, then I don't think he is the right choice right now.

I think we have to hire EB to be HC. Im not positive he'd take the OC position and if he did he'd be gone back to the NFL within 2 seasons as an OC or a HC. I thinks its all in or fold with him. I think he's ready but he wants to keep climbing the ladder.

It doesn't sound like he wants to "climb" -- he wants to jump straight to the top!

That's the thing, I was thinking that in another year or two his name will start coming up for other head coaching jobs in the NFL. If we don't jump on him soon, we will miss out. Problem is, that seems to be happening RIGHT NOW! The guy isn't just a position coach, he is the #2 guy for a reason.

And no OC/DC experience doesn't give you your best asset as an HC and that is being a motivator of men, which EB definetly has!

Another thing to think about, when, not if Chilly gets the axe, who will they give the job to up there in Minn? My bet is on EB.

Is there a requirement somewhere that offensive coordinators have to work out of the coaching booth? There are plenty of OC's who call plays from the sideline, and with success. Just stick the QB coach or WR coach up in the booth, they can inform the offensive coordinator of the formations / defenses / etc.

And I don't remember CU having "poor offenses" under McCartney. Quite the opposite, actually.

Only time I've seen it work with the playcaller on the sideline is when there's an OC in the booth and a playcalling HC on the sideline. Maybe some Co-OC situations, but I can't think of one off hand.

Regarding the Mac offenses, I really think you're remembering the good and not remembering the other stuff. 1989 and 1994 were the only two seasons we really had dominant offenses. Not coincidentally, those were our two best teams and should have been national champions if they hadn't been completely shut down in their biggest games of the year.

Here is the section of the media guide with the seasonal game results and stats if you want to check it out: http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/football/2010_Info_Guide/season_by_season_results_stats_pg214-282.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

Also, if we hadn't changed the offense after the 1991 season Tommie Frazier was coming to Boulder as the heir apparent to Darian Hagan. Mac never could decide on an offensive system.

Not sure why, but Embree doesn't excite me much as a coach in waiting. But, if he's the choice, I'll back it.

Not sure why, but Embree doesn't excite me much as a coach in waiting. But, if he's the choice, I'll back it.

Embree has at least shown leadership skills in an organizational role. He deserves 90% of the credit for Buffs4Life becoming a reality.

Only time I've seen it work with the playcaller on the sideline is when there's an OC in the booth and a playcalling HC on the sideline. Maybe some Co-OC situations, but I can't think of one off hand.
Somebody would need to check me on this, but I thought I saw Malzahn on the sidelines during the Auburn game on Sat. Doesn't he call their plays?

Somebody would need to check me on this, but I thought I saw Malzahn on the sidelines during the Auburn game on Sat. Doesn't he call their plays?

That's one. It might be one of those things where if you're running a constant hurry-up that this is the way to go. I wonder if all those offenses have gone to an OC on the sideline model. When you're trying to run 80+ plays a game, it probably makes more sense to have a spotter in the booth and the OC on the sideline to rush plays in and so the QB can look over for any audibles. I'm not sure EB would be running that type of offense (or if he'd be qualified to try it).

CU would be crazy not to have him as a OC. NVTS NUTS!

I just don't think Scooter's ego would let him take anything less than the top spot. I've heard (RUMOR ALERT!) he wouldn't take a spot under Mac. Eric thinks he's ready for the HC gig. At least here at CU.

Well obviously he is ready for CU. CU certainly seems like 5 losing seasons in a row is ok, and training inexperienced coaches is just the thing for CU, so why not?

Last edited:
That's the thing, I was thinking that in another year or two his name will start coming up for other head coaching jobs in the NFL. If we don't jump on him soon, we will miss out. Problem is, that seems to be happening RIGHT NOW! The guy isn't just a position coach, he is the #2 guy for a reason.

So let him go get a head coaching job in the NFL then. There were lots of rumors that he turned down the USC offensive coordinator job last year. I call bull**** on that one. These types of jobs don't just come along every day. When an opportunity like USC comes along, you have to take it. It's not like he was offered the offensive coordinator position at Utah State.

And no OC/DC experience doesn't give you your best asset as an HC and that is being a motivator of men, which EB definetly has!

Well ****, man, let's name Zig Zigler the head coach, if being a motivator is all that matters!! There is SOOOO much involved in being a head coach of a major college university. Putting somebody in who is NOT prepared is a HUGE mistake.

CU sure seems to have lots of UNQUALIFIED candidates who, for one reason or another, think they are ENTITLED to the head coaching job, without ever doing any work to EARN it. Bienemy, Embree, Logan, etc.

That's one. It might be one of those things where if you're running a constant hurry-up that this is the way to go. I wonder if all those offenses have gone to an OC on the sideline model. When you're trying to run 80+ plays a game, it probably makes more sense to have a spotter in the booth and the OC on the sideline to rush plays in and so the QB can look over for any audibles. I'm not sure EB would be running that type of offense (or if he'd be qualified to try it).

Oklahoma State's offensive coordinator is on the sidelines. Hell, he doesn't even wear a headset most of the time.

Again, there's no requirement that an offensive coordinator work from the press box. A good QB coach or wide receiver coach in the press box can see / do just as much as an offensive coordinator could.

Say Bieniemy comes in as HC. Who's he going to hire for coordinators? Someone like Malzahn or McElwain? Can't see any coordinator worth their salt coming in to work for someone with no HC or coordinator exp. So we're stuck again with DII guys or people who have never done the job at all in charge of writing a playbook, evaluating players for the system they run, running practices, calling plays...

I'd root like hell for the Buffs if EB were HC, but he's really REALLY underqualified for the gig. He needs coordinator exp if he wants to be a div 1 or NFL HC.

Watson has alternated for the nibblets on calling from the booth and the field.

Say Bieniemy comes in as HC. Who's he going to hire for coordinators? Someone like Malzahn or McElwain? Can't see any coordinator worth their salt coming in to work for someone with no HC or coordinator exp. So we're stuck again with DII guys or people who have never done the job at all in charge of writing a playbook, evaluating players for the system they run, running practices, calling plays...

I'd root like hell for the Buffs if EB were HC, but he's really REALLY underqualified for the gig. He needs coordinator exp if he wants to be a div 1 or NFL HC.
I would hope that EB could lean on his contacts/coaching tree to bring an OC/DC in. No way is he able to bring in a top tier coordinator, but then again, I don't think ANY coach we bring in will be able to convince a top tier coordinator to come here as well.

Turner Gill was able to bring in some pretty decent coordinators. EB should be able to as well. So long as we don't get another Hawk that brings his high school coaching staff with him, we should be able to bring in some coordinators with experience.

Watson has alternated for the nibblets on calling from the booth and the field.

So it's a personal preference thing, for the most part.

But my issue was with how being an OC reduces a coach's ability to play the role of motivator and to be firing up the team (one of EB's greatest assets). Can an OC really be doing much of that even if he's on the sideline? It would seem unusual. More like something a DC would do. Maybe I'm wrong. But I actually like EB as a head coach a lot more than I like him as an OC. It seems to suit his personality and strengths much better.

So it's a personal preference thing, for the most part.

But my issue was with how being an OC reduces a coach's ability to play the role of motivator and to be firing up the team (one of EB's greatest assets). Can an OC really be doing much of that even if he's on the sideline? It would seem unusual. More like something a DC would do. Maybe I'm wrong. But I actually like EB as a head coach a lot more than I like him as an OC. It seems to suit his personality and strengths much better.

I like the idea of Bienemy as a head coach, too --- when he's ready.

Turner Gill was able to bring in some pretty decent coordinators. EB should be able to as well. So long as we don't get another Hawk that brings his high school coaching staff with him, we should be able to bring in some coordinators with experience.

Is this the same Turner Gill that KU fan wants to fire after 1 year? The same Turner Gill that has KU a 9 point underdog at home to a team that has not won a road game in over three years?

Yeah, I remember all the corn fans last year saying we should really fire Hawkins and hire Turner Gill. This is the one reason that makes me happy that Hawkins was given 2010. We could have ended up with Turner Gill.

It's one thing to coach a great talent, it's another thing to get that talent to perform at a very high level. See Darrell Scott. Not only will EB recruit the best players in the country to Boulder, he'll also get the most out of their ability.
The favorite and most talented HB, Marcus Houston, wasn't even in the top four or five at the position. The unit produced anyways.

Am I the only one who sees a bit of a contradiction here?

The "I won't take a less than the HC" rumor Valdezj started makes me think he could be. The best coaches, players, employees are those who are always willing to learn, EB could still learn a lot from Mac, and a lot about defense and the passing game while on the job. If he wont sit under him and learn for a year or two at substantially more money he makes now with a ton more responsibility it would be a redflag for me as an employer/interviewer.

Another point Childres was the OC for the eagles during that great run they had with mcnabb, do we know if he's still involved in calling the plays or game planning at all? is EB?

Childress was an OC before he became a head coach. If he isn't calling plays, the current OC, Darrell Bevell, probably does. (Let's face it, the QB probably does a lot of it, too...) The running backs coach isn't likely to be calling any plays at all in that system.

I don't want EB as Offensive Coordinator. OC's don't do much in-season recruiting and they are in the booth instead of on the sideline (as stated). So the 2 main things that Bieniemy would bring to the Buffs have their effectiveness reduced in that position. Further, the talk of him being an OC under Mac is a disaster waiting to happen, imo. With Mac, we'd be getting a guy who hasn't been involved in football for over 15 years. When he was our coach, he had a defensive background and his CU teams were known for having poor offenses and Mac known for poor gameday decisions. (The major coaching critiques of him.) But somehow people think it would be a good idea to take the much older, less in touch, version of Mac as our top guy... and then have him hire an Offensive Coordinator who has never designed an offense or called a play. If you evaluate this dispassionately and grant that "ties to the program" has been irrelevant as an indicator of success in the coaching profession, I don't see how you can think this is anywhere close to the best CU can do with this hire.

Agree 100%. I keep hearing that EB would bring "energy" and "attitude" to the Buffs. That's not what your HC or OC is there for. Not during the game. If you've got either of those guys running around yelling, screaming and jumping around the whole game, who is calling the plays and actually running the team? Not to mention the whole OC in the booth issue. For a RB coach that might be fine, but with the added responsibilities at the head coach or coordinator level, you need to be more focused. Not saying EB can't do it, but he's probably not going to be the raging firebrand everybody expects if he's going to do those jobs well...

I would hope that EB could lean on his contacts/coaching tree to bring an OC/DC in. No way is he able to bring in a top tier coordinator, but then again, I don't think ANY coach we bring in will be able to convince a top tier coordinator to come here as well.

If Arizona can lure Sonny Dykes to be its OC, then CU can find a hot coordinator too. That is not a more prestigious job than ours. Sure, they only kept him for like a year, but it turned that offense around.

It's a gamble but CU needs to take a gamble if we are going to become relevent again, especially considering that we can't really spend two million plus on a coach like other schools.

So let him go get a head coaching job in the NFL then. There were lots of rumors that he turned down the USC offensive coordinator job last year. I call bull**** on that one. These types of jobs don't just come along every day. When an opportunity like USC comes along, you have to take it. It's not like he was offered the offensive coordinator position at Utah State.

Well ****, man, let's name Zig Zigler the head coach, if being a motivator is all that matters!! There is SOOOO much involved in being a head coach of a major college university. Putting somebody in who is NOT prepared is a HUGE mistake.

CU sure seems to have lots of UNQUALIFIED candidates who, for one reason or another, think they are ENTITLED to the head coaching job, without ever doing any work to EARN it. Bienemy, Embree, Logan, etc.

You clearly don't get the whole EB thing then. Did you go to any games while he was here coaching? Have you seen our sidelines since then? The guy knows football, knows football players and knows how to motivate them. Half the job of the HC is motivation, the other half is recruiting. I've never seen Dan call a play from the sidelines and HCs are usually not the ones calling the plays anyway. We need a leader, not another Slick Rick or Josh Mc2and6.

If Arizona can lure Sonny Dykes to be its OC, then CU can find a hot coordinator too. That is not a more prestigious job than ours. Sure, they only kept him for like a year, but it turned that offense around.
I hope you're right, but I'm skeptical about what we'll be able to bring in. $$$ talks and until I see it happen, I'll doubt that we pay what it's gonna take to get a top coordinator.

Am I the only one who sees a bit of a contradiction here?

Childress was an OC before he became a head coach. If he isn't calling plays, the current OC, Darrell Bevell, probably does. (Let's face it, the QB probably does a lot of it, too...) The running backs coach isn't likely to be calling any plays at all in that system.

Agree 100%. I keep hearing that EB would bring "energy" and "attitude" to the Buffs. That's not what your HC or OC is there for. Not during the game. If you've got either of those guys running around yelling, screaming and jumping around the whole game, who is calling the plays and actually running the team? Not to mention the whole OC in the booth issue. For a RB coach that might be fine, but with the added responsibilities at the head coach or coordinator level, you need to be more focused. Not saying EB can't do it, but he's probably not going to be the raging firebrand everybody expects if he's going to do those jobs well...

So you give no value to pregame and halftime speeches huh? He doesn't need to flip out on the sidelines during the game, it is all about preparing the team for the game and then making adjustments. No one is saying he needs to go crazy with 12 min left in the 4th.

So you give no value to pregame and halftime speeches huh? He doesn't need to flip out on the sidelines during the game, it is all about preparing the team for the game and then making adjustments. No one is saying he needs to go crazy with 12 min left in the 4th.

No, he would be great at that, if that's what we're talking about. But if we're talking about the way he was the last time he was here, I'm just saying people are going to be disappointed if they think he's going to be like that as a HC or OC now...

Is this the same Turner Gill that KU fan wants to fire after 1 year? The same Turner Gill that has KU a 9 point underdog at home to a team that has not won a road game in over three years?

Yeah, I remember all the corn fans last year saying we should really fire Hawkins and hire Turner Gill. This is the one reason that makes me happy that Hawkins was given 2010. We could have ended up with Turner Gill.

Yes that very same Turner Gill. I forget who he hired as his DC, but his OC is Chuck Long, the former Oklahoma OC. He's a very experienced OC. I'm not saying we should have hired Turner Gill or anything of the sort, I'm just saying. If Turner Gill who had been coaching at Buffalo of all places could hire a couple of good OCs, then the CU HC should be able to as well.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I'd like to see McCartney in the Osborne role and Bienemy as head coach.

Back