What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

More Big 12 South arrogance

You only get the condoms if the girl lets you use them. I'm not sure that would be the case, here. She's dangling that $300MM out there, but once you sleep with her, she tells you that you can't have it, and oh, by the way, you might want to get tested.

Obviously, nobody (but the Big 12) is going to let Texas have it's own television network rights. The Pac-10 wouldn't go for it. The Big 10 certainly isn't going to go for it. Certainly concessions would have to be made on both parts for Texas to join another conference. For the time being, Texas seems perfectly content to have their position in the Big 12.

I think the Pac could get almost everything that UT offers by including OU, KU, TCU and UNM without incurring half the problems. I'm not sure OU would go for that arrangement, but they may have little choice in another 3-4 years.

Obviously, nobody (but the Big 12) is going to let Texas have it's own television network rights. The Pac-10 wouldn't go for it. The Big 10 certainly isn't going to go for it. Certainly concessions would have to be made on both parts for Texas to join another conference. For the time being, Texas seems perfectly content to have their position in the Big 12.

This is what the PAC is unwilling to do. The PAC understands that its longterm health and value relies on being an association of equals, the Big 10 and SEC have gone the same way. They understand that some schools will have certain advantages over others but as a conference all come to the table equally. Texas is not willing to do this, they are in a position where they don't have to but the PAC is not interested in compromising who they are for one school.

Texas cannot operate in a conference of equals. The new Big XII, where Texas makes the most is it's most desired alternative as they are top dog and still have a schedule to play. When the Big XII explodes, and after the Texas network matures, they will be able to choose between independent and conference equal (in the PAC, SEC, Big 10 or wherever). Baylor's choices will be far more limited.

Texas cannot operate in a conference of equals. The new Big XII, where Texas makes the most is it's most desired alternative as they are top dog and still have a schedule to play. When the Big XII explodes, and after the Texas network matures, they will be able to choose between independent and conference equal (in the PAC, SEC, Big 10 or wherever). Baylor's choices will be far more limited.

I'm not sure why the Big 12 would "explode" at this point. Texas certainly isn't going to leave, with it's current situation. None of the small schools are going to leave. I can't see Iowa State or Kansas State or Oklahoma State, etc. getting a better offer in another conference. I am doubtful that even Mizzou or Kansas would be able to land better deals than their current Big 12 arrangement. Mizzou pissed away their shot last year with all their false bravado re: the Big 10.

The only way the Big 12 explodes at this point is if Texas A&M or OU get tired of dealing with Texas, and decides to leave. As long as OU is beating Texas on the field, they won't care too much about all the millions the UT network provides.

It may not explode. I certainly don't think it will happen until the next round of expansion. However, due to the inequality in that conference, many of those schools will be up for grabs. And I agree that at least some of them may not be wanted.

I think KU, MU (in spite of themselves), OU and A&M are all legitimate expansion targets. KU and MU would probably fit better in the Big 10, and OU and A&M in the SEC.

I think KU, MU (in spite of themselves), OU and A&M are all legitimate expansion targets. KU and MU would probably fit better in the Big 10, and OU and A&M in the SEC.

You are probably right - but does the Big 10 want KU if it is required to bring KSU with it? Does the SEC want OU if OSU must come with? I do think there will be significant legislative pressure on the state level if the conferences attempt to separate the schools.

You are probably right - but does the Big 10 want KU if it is required to bring KSU with it? Does the SEC want OU if OSU must come with? I do think there will be significant legislative pressure on the state level if the conferences attempt to separate the schools.

If the Baylor situation showed us anything, it's that "legislative pressure" doesn't mean much. If the Big 10 came calling, KU would drop KSU like third period French. And I guarantee you that the Kansas Legislature would rather have one BCS school than zero. That would be their option. Same in Oklahoma, IMO, although OSU probably has a little more of a legitimate argument for inclusion.

If the Baylor situation showed us anything, it's that "legislative pressure" doesn't mean much. If the Big 10 came calling, KU would drop KSU like third period French. And I guarantee you that the Kansas Legislature would rather have one BCS school than zero. That would be their option. Same in Oklahoma, IMO, although OSU probably has a little more of a legitimate argument for inclusion.

Did you forget how Baylor got into the Big 12 in the first place?

The Big XII will last as long as Texas decides that it is in their best interest to keep it alive. The moment that Texas decides that they are better off without the Big XII then the Big XII goes away.

At that point somebody else scoops up OU and aTm, possibly as part of the deal Texas gets. Had Texas left for the PAC, aTm was strongly discussed for the SEC who would like a strong TV presence in Texas. OU would also be a strong target for another top conference, either the SEC as a partner for aTm (or Texas if they went SEC.) Oklahoma politics would likely try very hard to keep OSU tied to OU but if it looks like the days of the Big XII as an AQ conference are over then OU could go alone.

If Texas were to go the the Big X then Missouri would have a strong chance to go as a partner. This is not a lock, especially after the last round when Mizzou thought they were gone and kNU got the invite instead. The Big X really wants Notre Dame and Texas would be the ideal balance again leaving Mizzou out in the could. No matter what happens, take Texas and either aTm or OU out of the league and all of the sudden you have a non-AQ conference without a significant TV market. At that point the scramble begins. KU would be of interest because of their basketball and they have some recent football success. Kansas is not a great TV market but KU is the flagship. Mizzou brings a decent TV market and is considered a "big time" program. Okie light is not highly regarded but the Pickens money makes them interesting and for a MWC or C-USA they would be appealing.

Again it all depends on if Texas gets an offer they prefer to take, once that happens the Big XII goes the way of the old SWC. Either way, Baylor and Tech are looking at scrambling to get the scraps they can pick up.

If the last round of conference-palooza showed us anything, it is that nothing is final until it's final.

Texas was gone to the Pac, then it wasn't. aTm was gone to the SEC, except it wasn't. Mizzou was tooting its own horn, but just got sore neck muscles. Baylor was mustering up its might, and blew its own house down. The only "sure thing" out there right now, IMHO, is that Texas is holding most of the cards, and will likely be the key to any future reorganizations. Beyond them, it is a case of each school looking out for itself - 'cause we've already seen that if you don't move fast and decisively, you can get left out in the cold.

Quite frankly, and selfishly, I couldn't care less about the ultimate fate of the Big XII Lite. I'm confident that CU's future is assured, and the rest of them can go toot Mizzou's horn.

If the last round of conference-palooza showed us anything, it is that nothing is final until it's final.

Texas was gone to the Pac, then it wasn't. aTm was gone to the SEC, except it wasn't. Mizzou was tooting its own horn, but just got sore neck muscles. Baylor was mustering up its might, and blew its own house down. The only "sure thing" out there right now, IMHO, is that Texas is holding most of the cards, and will likely be the key to any future reorganizations. Beyond them, it is a case of each school looking out for itself - 'cause we've already seen that if you don't move fast and decisively, you can get left out in the cold.

Quite frankly, and selfishly, I couldn't care less about the ultimate fate of the Big XII Lite. I'm confident that CU's future is assured, and the rest of them can go toot Mizzou's horn.

nice post, rep!

Something is getting blown in that conference, but I don't think it is Mizzou's horn.

I think the Pac could get almost everything that UT offers by including OU, KU, TCU and UNM without incurring half the problems. I'm not sure OU would go for that arrangement, but they may have little choice in another 3-4 years.

If what UT offered was tiny media markets (I know TCU is in Ft. Worth but they just went BCS and have 1/10 the fans UT does) and substandard schools, then I guess that makes sense.

Look at how much money the Texas athletic department makes. Then look at how much less the four schools you mentioned make (w/ the possible and slight exception of OU, which has no media market). That is your answer.

If what UT offered was tiny media markets (I know TCU is in Ft. Worth but they just went BCS and have 1/10 the fans UT does) and substandard schools, then I guess that makes sense.

Look at how much money the Texas athletic department makes. Then look at how much less the four schools you mentioned make (w/ the possible and slight exception of OU, which has no media market). That is your answer.

OU has not one, but two media markets - OKC and Dallas. Maybe three if you add Tulsa. Dallas is only a couple hours South of Norman and there are a lot of OU fans in North Texas. I think you underestimate what those schools can offer. Texas brings a lot - I understand that. They also bring pain and destruction to all members of their conference. Those other schools do no such thing. The Texas AD makes a lot of money because they have a 100,000+ seat stadium that they sell out every week. They have a boatload of donors that write checks, too. That, in a nutshell, is the difference between Texas and everybody else. It's not media markets. They share media markets with five other schools, two professional football teams and three professional basketball franchises. There just happens to be a lot of people in Texas.

Back