What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

More like Valor Satan, amirite?!?

As far as private high schools in Colorado go, there are only a few that could seemingly compete in the same league as Valor and those are Regis and Mullen (and Mullen would get beat by Valor 40-3 in all likelihood). There just aren't enough private schools in CO to create a whole new league with their own playoff tournament.

That's why the Dave Logan move to creek was a big one. Even though it is fighting fire with fire at least a public school beat them in the championship. An even bigger next step would be getting Douglas County back to where they were before Castle View was built and their enrollment went down. Grandview and Cherokee Trail are going a great job too but it is important that schools like Columbine, Bear Creek, Fairview, and Arvada West get back to where they used to be or in the case of Fairview and Columbine, continue what they are doing.

That's why the Dave Logan move to creek was a big one. Even though it is fighting fire with fire at least a public school beat them in the championship. An even bigger next step would be getting Douglas County back to where they were before Castle View was built and their enrollment went down. Grandview and Cherokee Trail are going a great job too but it is important that schools like Columbine, Bear Creek, Fairview, and Arvada West get back to where they used to be or in the case of Fairview and Columbine, continue what they are doing.
Dave Logan being a Public program's HC is essentially like being a private school program, though. I know you have CC ties, but Logan recruits just as many athletes to CC as Valor does... the only difference is that CHSAA can actually do something about it with CC, but they choose not to because... Dave Logan.

The other schools you mentioned may continue what they're doing (Columbine and Fairview) to have success, but it won't be enough ever top Valor consistently. Valor literally takes the best players from the neighboring public schools, pays for their tuition, and wins a championship. Who here remembers the HS power that Thunder Ridge used to be before Valor showed up? They are a complete shell of what they used to be. Still decent because they have good coaching, but they aren't going to contend for a State Championship again, under the current structure.

Similarities to Las Vegas with Bishop Gorman. I'm not convinced it's a bad thing.

I think we will always see a fair number of the top recruits from Valor and Mullen going out of state. I see these players as mercenaries who sold out their neighborhood schools and have no problem selling out the state institutions at the next level.

Dave Logan being a Public program's HC is essentially like being a private school program, though. I know you have CC ties, but Logan recruits just as many athletes to CC as Valor does... the only difference is that CHSAA can actually do something about it with CC, but they choose not to because... Dave Logan.

The other schools you mentioned may continue what they're doing (Columbine and Fairview) to have success, but it won't be enough ever top Valor consistently. Valor literally takes the best players from the neighboring public schools, pays for their tuition, and wins a championship. Who here remembers the HS power that Thunder Ridge used to be before Valor showed up? They are a complete shell of what they used to be. Still decent because they have good coaching, but they aren't going to contend for a State Championship again, under the current structure.

Hey I completely agree with you I'm just saying I would rather have Logan at a public school going head to head with Valor than at Mullen trying to do the same thing. I actually have ties to Logan from his Mullen days and know some people at Creek currently and he definitely recruits but their two best players (Marchiol and Van Diest) are Creek kids and have been for a while.

I went to Highlands Ranch High School and grew up a quarter of a mile from Valor so you don't have to tell me the effect Valor has had on the local high schools. I graduated in 2009 but in 2008 Highlands Ranch and Mountain Vista both won 8-9 games. Thunder Ridge was still 4A at the time but they were in the championship almost every other year. Then in 2009 T-Ridge moved up to 5A and went 9-1. Vista began to fall off and Ranch did as well but in 2011 and 2012 Thunder Ridge and Ranch did very well and both made the quarterfinals. Now all three of those programs are in the gutter with no signs of anything changing anytime soon.

Hey I completely agree with you I'm just saying I would rather have Logan at a public school going head to head with Valor than at Mullen trying to do the same thing. I actually have ties to Logan from his Mullen days and know some people at Creek currently and he definitely recruits but their two best players (Marchiol and Van Diest) are Creek kids and have been for a while.

I went to Highlands Ranch High School and grew up a quarter of a mile from Valor so you don't have to tell me the effect Valor has had on the local high schools. I graduated in 2009 but in 2008 Highlands Ranch and Mountain Vista both won 8-9 games. Thunder Ridge was still 4A at the time but they were in the championship almost every other year. Then in 2009 T-Ridge moved up to 5A and went 9-1. Vista began to fall off and Ranch did as well but in 2011 and 2012 Thunder Ridge and Ranch did very well and both made the quarterfinals. Now all three of those programs are in the gutter with no signs of anything changing anytime soon.
Marchiol is now at IMG in Florida, so I guess Logan is now the victim in all of this! :ROFLMAO:

That timeline for the neighboring schools (Vista, HR and TR) going into the gutter definitely adds up to when Valor was established and the talent pipeline shut off to those schools and began at VC.

Similarities to Las Vegas with Bishop Gorman. I'm not convinced it's a bad thing.
I think it sets a bad precedent in general, but maybe it's not a bad thing for college recruiting in the long run. Hopefully CU gets good again and some players from Valor will choose to stay in state. It is absolutely a bad thing for high school football in the state of CO, though.

I think we will always see a fair number of the top recruits from Valor and Mullen going out of state. I see these players as mercenaries who sold out their neighborhood schools and have no problem selling out the state institutions at the next level.

Good point.

High School sports are competitive, anytime you have competition you will have people who try to get an edge, that exist everywhere.

The issue is how far they will go to get that edge. Valor has shown since they opened that they are willing to "do what it takes" to win without even pretending to worry about the rules.

Yes they will argue that they are following the rules but their actions say otherwise. If you are a HS program in the Denver metro area suburbs with a quality athlete you can be fairly secure that Valor has contacted him or tried.

Valor has been open about the fact that they believe that winning championships is the best way to put their name in front of the general public. They will do what it takes to win those championships.

To me they are a HS version of Baylor, sad considering that they damage the message that they are supposively promoting. Great message, cheating and lying are fine as long as you win.

I wasn't a CU fan when I moved to Colorado. But I love football and, even though they sucked, embraced them. That's what bugs me a little about the McCaffery thing. They live here and have reaped great things and adulation from the state. I just kind of wish they'd have embraced CU like I did. I mean, I understand they are Stanford all the way. But just get up to Boulder and support your home state's University. But that's idealism talking and I know people like the McCaffery's have a lot more to do than spend Saturday's up at a CU game.

The point I'm trying to make, really, is why in the hell are these kids not growing up CU fans? Few of 'em are.

I wasn't a CU fan when I moved to Colorado. But I love football and, even though they sucked, embraced them. That's what bugs me a little about the McCaffery thing. They live here and have reaped great things and adulation from the state. I just kind of wish they'd have embraced CU like I did. I mean, I understand they are Stanford all the way. But just get up to Boulder and support your home state's University. But that's idealism talking and I know people like the McCaffery's have a lot more to do than spend Saturday's up at a CU game.

The point I'm trying to make, really, is why in the hell are these kids not growing up CU fans? Few of 'em are.
You know why...

High School sports are competitive, anytime you have competition you will have people who try to get an edge, that exist everywhere.

The issue is how far they will go to get that edge. Valor has shown since they opened that they are willing to "do what it takes" to win without even pretending to worry about the rules.

Yes they will argue that they are following the rules but their actions say otherwise. If you are a HS program in the Denver metro area suburbs with a quality athlete you can be fairly secure that Valor has contacted him or tried.

Valor has been open about the fact that they believe that winning championships is the best way to put their name in front of the general public. They will do what it takes to win those championships.

To me they are a HS version of Baylor, sad considering that they damage the message that they are supposively promoting. Great message, cheating and lying are fine as long as you win.
agree^^ + they hide behind a cross and pretend to be Christian.

Wow... at the risk of adding more fuel to the fire, here are the P5 kids from Valor and where they've gone according to Rivals:

• Christian McCaffrey (Stanford)
  • Eric Lee (Nebraska)
  • Alex Kozan (Auburn)
  • Brock Berglund (Kansas)
  • Dillon Reinkensmeyer (Virginia)
  • Brian Dawkins (Clemson)
  • Isaiah Holland (Colorado)
  • Alec Ruth (KSU)
  • Max McCaffrey (Duke)
  • Michael Mann (Duke)
So, I guess it appears that everybody only gets one. Although CSU has both Marcus Wilson and George MauMau on roster right now *ducks*

Like I said, I embraced CU back in the late 70's when we totally sucked. But I get it. Those were the days without internet and ESPN.

Exactly. You could try to take your fanship with you, but it was really hard when you couldn't watch, listen to, or even really read about the games. That was my dad and cutting his ties with his old Baltimore Colts and embracing the new Denver Broncos.

Nowadays, you can watch every game, read every write-up, and pretty much follow everything live thanks to social media. I'm sure that everyone else that lives here knows that very few of the people who have moved in over the past 15-20 years have dedicated themselves to even getting to know the local schools, much less supported them.

Without getting too bitter about it, when I talk to a dad that says something like, "there's no way my son's going to grow up to be anything other than a <insert random college or pro franchise name here> fan", I get pretty pissed. My feeling is, if you want to move here, take advantage of all the our state has to offer, you can support the goddamn local institutions. Hell, I'd rather they support the sheep school than Texas or Nebraska or Michigan or wherever the **** they came from.

Dylan McCaffrey was in second grade the last time we played in a bowl game. He was in kindergarten the last time we had a winning season. He was in preschool the last time we won a bowl game (the only one we've won in his lifetime).

Exactly. You could try to take your fanship with you, but it was really hard when you couldn't watch, listen to, or even really read about the games. That was my dad and cutting his ties with his old Baltimore Colts and embracing the new Denver Broncos.

Nowadays, you can watch every game, read every write-up, and pretty much follow everything live thanks to social media. I'm sure that everyone else that lives here knows that very few of the people who have moved in over the past 15-20 years have dedicated themselves to even getting to know the local schools, much less supported them.

Without getting too bitter about it, when I talk to a dad that says something like, "there's no way my son's going to grow up to be anything other than a <insert random college or pro franchise name here> fan", I get pretty pissed. My feeling is, if you want to move here, take advantage of all the our state has to offer, you can support the goddamn local institutions. Hell, I'd rather they support the sheep school than Texas or Nebraska or Michigan or wherever the **** they came from.

I have moved around a lot. I always adopted the local teams as my #2. Part of the fabric of the community in which I had chosen to live.

Just to consider Ed McCaffrey played most of his pro career in Denver but played for a total of 3 teams. He had teammates who were cut or let go to sign elsewhere every season and guys coming in from other teams each year.

He had a great run in Denver and chooses to live here but it is also easy to see how he would develop a mercenary attitude towards football, use it to get the best deal you think you can get and move on. The NFL doesn't show a lot of loyalty to it's players and you can see how the players wouldn't neccessarily have a great deal of loyalty to specific teams or areas.

I agree with the kids being brainwashed to love mom or dad's alma mater or favorite pro team. I have a friend who "grew up" in Chicago, who literally left at age 6 to move to Denver. This person hates the Broncos because her dad was born and raised a Bears fan. I also moved to Denver from Chicago at age 8 and have been a Bronco fan ever since. My dad was a Purdue alum and Bears fan, but embraced his new city and state. We were Bronco season ticket holders and CU supporters (and alums) for decades.

I agree with the kids being brainwashed to love mom or dad's alma mater or favorite pro team. I have a friend who "grew up" in Chicago, who literally left at age 6 to move to Denver. This person hates the Broncos because her dad was born and raised a Bears fan. I also moved to Denver from Chicago at age 8 and have been a Bronco fan ever since. My dad was a Purdue alum and Bears fan, but embraced his new city and state. We were Bronco season ticket holders and CU supporters (and alums) for decades.

You got 3 super bowl wins out of it, your Bears fan friend got a bunch of Bronco cast offs.

I'd call that a win for you and your dad.

Eat sh^t. Then re-read what I posted. He can do whatever he wants, just don't ask me to be gracious about it. I root for one team and one team only - CU. if he wants to go somewhere else, screw him.

Is Sacky really Mr. Wonderful?

689502-1438880723438873-Adam-Aloisi.jpeg

Gorman is crazy, they pull kids in from the whole SW. And they have infinite cash to cater to their athletes. Lad Vegans love the school too, typical local sports news always has an update on which national tournament Goman is playing in and how they did. Other prep schools are never mentioned.

Gorman is crazy, they pull kids in from the whole SW. And they have infinite cash to cater to their athletes. Lad Vegans love the school too, typical local sports news always has an update on which national tournament Goman is playing in and how they did. Other prep schools are never mentioned.
Snoop's kid played there. That is all you need to know there.

Back