What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

More WR help....from a familiar face?

Re: Celestine situation - has this ever happened before?

I can't remember a time when a kid has left school & the football team to deal with some personal/family issues, and then returned once those issues were resolved.

Can anybody remember a situation like this before? I sure can't.

Garret Burl left for personal reasons and came back

The APR stuff mentioned that he was ineligible when he left; that could be wrong and I'm certainly no expert but since he was enrolled this fall i think he has to make progress towards a degree to be eligible this fall; on the other hand Givens dropped his classes for the fall semester because of the concussions and he's okay so I'm not sure what Celestine would have to do to be eligible this fall.

Regardless, the important thing is that he'll be back in school; his kid needs a father with an education. Welcome back Kendrick!

I don't think the team will hold his situation against him; he obviously had some serious stuff to deal with, its not like he just had a temper tantrum over playing time and walked out.

I don't think that is right. He played in the first two games in 2008 before he left. If he was ineligible, he would not have played those two game.

CU could use more talent from Louisiana! Welcome back to Boulder.

Good for the Buffs and better for him. I wonder if his kid moves to BoCo with him

I don't think that is right. He played in the first two games in 2008 before he left. If he was ineligible, he would not have played those two game.

I didn't say he was ineligible last year; I said he did not leave school in December in good standing, according to the APR reports a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea if that is accurate, but that's what Ringo said (take a bucket of salt with that). In other words, according to that report, he did really, really bad last semester. But who knows?

Wow. This is totally awesome. It says something about Kendrick. It says something about Boulder. And it says something about this team and CU. I'm proud to be a Buff.

I didn't say he was ineligible last year; I said he did not leave school in December in good standing, according to the APR reports a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea if that is accurate, but that's what Ringo said (take a bucket of salt with that). In other words, according to that report, he did really, really bad last semester. But who knows?

I believe he left the team in Sept but stayed enrolled in school. NOt sure Ringo's info about his academic standing is accurate. I believe that he could be eligible to play if he has the grades and the necessary credits to participate.

I expected him to enroll close to home. I believe this tells us a few things. Chiefly that this kid realizes the staff (i.e. Kiesau) care about him. Secondly, he probably realized that Boulder was a better environment for him to get an education than back hom in Louisiana.

Hope he gets it right and then hope he shows us why he played a lot as a true freshman. God knows we need him!

I believe he left the team in Sept but stayed enrolled in school. NOt sure Ringo's info about his academic standing is accurate. I believe that he could be eligible to play if he has the grades and the necessary credits to participate.

I expected him to enroll close to home. I believe this tells us a few things. Chiefly that this kid realizes the staff (i.e. Kiesau) care about him. Secondly, he probably realized that Boulder was a better environment for him to get an education than back hom in Louisiana.

Hope he gets it right and then hope he shows us why he played a lot as a true freshman. God knows we need him!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if ringo was inaccurate, and I very much hope for Kendrick's sake that he's wrong.

This is good news for Kendrick. I hope he can stick with it and see it all the way through to graduation. It appears (at least on the surface) he has figured out his priorities and if he is allowed back on the team at some point, then more power to him.

That's what Ringo's article said - he was behind and has to earn two years of credits in one year to catch up.

No way he plays in 09, and needs to complete a sh** load of classes to be eligible for 2010. Hope the wifey isn't going to school. Good Luck KC

How can anyone not pull for a guy who after running into a significant obstacle in his life (granted one of his own making but a serious event none the less) and being far from home and his support system decides to pull himself together, face the challenge, and do what is best for himself and his family.

If he never makes another significant contribution on a football field he is still worthy of respect. He could have easily packed it all in and become another one of those guys sitting around talking about what "I could have been." Instead he is getting it together and doing what he needs to do to make his life happen.

As to his teammates I don't think any of them will hold anything against him. He had a situation and did what he had to do to deal with it. Quitters are the guys who don't get back up again after falling. Kendrick is getting back up and if anything I think his teammates will respect him more for it.

From what I have read he and his family don't have a lot of money so I am sure that he will qualify for some significant need based grants. With those and some loans hopefully he can carry through until he earns his scholly back.

Glad to see him back even if he doesn't make a big contribution but with his talent and newfound motivation he may very well make a big contribution on the field for the Buffs in the future.

How can anyone not pull for a guy who after running into a significant obstacle in his life (granted one of his own making but a serious event none the less) and being far from home and his support system decides to pull himself together, face the challenge, and do what is best for himself and his family.

I'm pulling for him. I even thought of seeing if there was some way to help financially, but with NCAA rules, there's no chance of that since it would jeopardize his status and harm CU. Too bad, though. There ought to be an anonymous "do the right thing" fund out there.

I'm pulling for the guy but I don't think we will see him on the field this season and maybe not next year either. According to the BDC he has to complete two years worth of credits in one year if he wants to accumulate enough credits to be eligible for the '10 season. See a quote from Ringo's article below.

I just think it's a tall order for a guy who was struggling academically to do two years of school work in one to become eligible. I hope he proves me wrong...

"There is no hope of Celestine playing this fall because he has so much ground to make up academically. He said he hopes to treat the next year as a redshirt year because he hasn’t done much in the weight room either since quitting the team.

If he is allowed back into the program, something coaches don’t often do with players who previously quit, Celestine would have to complete two years worth of schoolwork in one to regain his eligibility, considering he was already behind academically before he left."

I don't think Kendrick understands the eligibility requirements. I have been told there is virtually no chance he will play here again.

he needs to finish basically two years worth of credits in one in order to play.

What is two years of credits though? I knew some people who took some pretty small courseloads. If he took 20 units each semester plus maymester and summer term it seems like it would probably be possible.

What is two years of credits though? I knew some people who took some pretty small courseloads. If he took 20 units each semester plus maymester and summer term it seems like it would probably be possible.

From CU's manual of Big 12 and NCAA policies:

Progress toward degree Certification Requirements:

1. Freshmen student-athletes must earn 6 credits (during each
term), 18 credits (during the academic year and 24 of degree applicable
credits during their first year in residence. All others
need 6 credits each term 18 credits each academic year and then
40 percent, 60 percent and 80 percent, respectively.

I'm too sleepy to sit here and do the math myself (and I don't have KC's numbers) but if someone else wants to give it a shot, have at it... In any case, I agree with Daaah. I think that if you were driven enough, you could do two years worth of credits in one if you took summer classes and worked your tail off. In any case, I wish him the best of luck.

I'm too sleepy to sit here and do the math myself (and I don't have KC's numbers) but if someone else wants to give it a shot, have at it... In any case, I agree with Daaah. I think that if you were driven enough, you could do two years worth of credits in one if you took summer classes and worked your tail off. In any case, I wish him the best of luck.

Wonder if he can take a summer school class and also an online class during summer to rack up some credits faster? There are legitimate online classes out there.

Wonder if he can take a summer school class and also an online class during summer to rack up some credits faster? There are legitimate online classes out there.

The bottom line is that when he left CU he was not in academic good standing which hits CU for the their APR. No chance CU gives him a scholly until he proves he's changed. Can't jeopardize the APR further with another shot until he's proven he can do better. That means, he'll have to go thru this summer, next year, and at least another on his own dime. That seems pretty unrealistic. A ton of work and no guarrantee he can do all that work in the allotted time - all the while paying a fortune to try?

Stop counting on this guy to help us. If he can do the above, great! But that is a huge uphill battle and I doubt seriously that he understood all he needs to do.

Sounds to me like he needs 36 or 42 credits in one year. That's totally doable and the courseload doesn't even need to be that heavy.

15 credits * 2 semesters = 30 credits.
3 credits in Maymester = 33 credits.
3 credits in Summer = 36 credits.

or

16 credits * 2 semesters = 32 credits
3 credits in Maymester = 35 credits.
8 credits in Summer = 43 credits.

The bottom line is that when he left CU he was not in academic good standing which hits CU for the their APR. No chance CU gives him a scholly until he proves he's changed. Can't jeopardize the APR further with another shot until he's proven he can do better. That means, he'll have to go thru this summer, next year, and at least another on his own dime. That seems pretty unrealistic. A ton of work and no guarrantee he can do all that work in the allotted time - all the while paying a fortune to try?

Stop counting on this guy to help us. If he can do the above, great! But that is a huge uphill battle and I doubt seriously that he understood all he needs to do.

We don't know a few things:
-what his financial situation is/was that he might qualify for Pell grants and other help, including loans. He's got two dependents now, as well (or at least one, depending on how the govt looks at it.) So what he ends up Paying might not be a fortune, or could at least be postponed.
- if maybe he was doing something constructive the last six months, like taking core classes at a local community college and/or online. If he managed to take even two classes, that six credits would go a long way. Yeah, I realize that's a stretch, but we don't know if he was doing more than just holding his GF's hand and waiting for the baby to be born. He might have either worked or studied, let's hope the latter.
- I don't think CU will scholarship him anytime soon, but I do think they would do what they could to help him be eligible and play again. Hawkins seems to believe in second chances for kids who are really trying. Depends on how good his story is and how sincere he seems when he meets with Hawk.

maymester is an abbreviated semester between spring and summer where you can take one class pretty much all day, sort of like the block system that some colleges use, where you take one class at a time. Popular with seniors wanting to get their credits in to graduate, or so I'm told. I think it would be b etter to lengthen the spring and fall semesters by a week each and give the students back their reading days before finals, but that's just me.

Back