What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Most Improved Teams for 2015

I was referring to the definition of plagiarism and not the "idea" of plagiarism. Guess that's our disconnect. Maybe I should take one of your seminars.

View attachment 15400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I was posting in a thread in the very same forum as the reference post, I believe that the association was implied, insomuch as it matters, which is to say, not all, on a chat site.

Allbuffs is highly dependent on referencing material--nearly none of it cited. When somebody makes a factual statement, then sometimes a citation is requested, and that's valid for facts, but what you're requesting, or insinuating is something else altogether.

When I teach my seminar, we don't spend a lot of time on plagiarism, but when we touch on the topic its in context of the university's policy, which is dependent on the concepts of both originality and intent. My intent, I believe, was clear to everybody except for you, for some reason.

You seem comfortable with my use of a National Lampoon's Vacation quote, a Brittney Spears quote and a Bon Jovie quote--all without citation. Presumably that's because you believe there is shared knowledge of those references. So how is a tweet, imbedded in the same forum in which I was posting somehow LESS shared knowledge than the other references? In a sense, the fresher the reference the better. At some point "Was it over when the Germans burned Pearl Harbor" becomes a little tedious.

And let's face it--citing the reference of a joke whose point is to draw in a reference would be less than effective as a technique. "Well according to Faux Pelini, there are 37 humps!"

Also, that we're arguing about what I believed to be an obvious reference to somebody pretending to be Bo Pelini in the first place, isn't lost on me.

So I'll ask again. When it comes to making references to other material as a joke, are there rules? How old does the reference have to be (1980s era movies okay, but a tweet from two days ago is not?)? What media can you reference (movies and songs are fine, but no social media?)?

Or can we just assume that as we banter on Allbuffs, we can reference other threads, posts, social events, news and media products in a light-hearted way without worrying that somebody will accuse us of plagiarism because for once they actually got the reference?

Mel Crapper's opinion usually means very little to me. It is good, however, that CU is getting some positive play from different sources, especially since it was a national broadcast.

Because I was posting in a thread in the very same forum as the reference post, I believe that the association was implied, insomuch as it matters, which is to say, not all, on a chat site.

Allbuffs is highly dependent on referencing material--nearly none of it cited. When somebody makes a factual statement, then sometimes a citation is requested, and that's valid for facts, but what you're requesting, or insinuating is something else altogether.

When I teach my seminar, we don't spend a lot of time on plagiarism, but when we touch on the topic its in context of the university's policy, which is dependent on the concepts of both originality and intent. My intent, I believe, was clear to everybody except for you, for some reason.

You seem comfortable with my use of a National Lampoon's Vacation quote, a Brittney Spears quote and a Bon Jovie quote--all without citation. Presumably that's because you believe there is shared knowledge of those references. So how is a tweet, imbedded in the same forum in which I was posting somehow LESS shared knowledge than the other references? In a sense, the fresher the reference the better. At some point "Was it over when the Germans burned Pearl Harbor" becomes a little tedious.

And let's face it--citing the reference of a joke whose point is to draw in a reference would be less than effective as a technique. "Well according to Faux Pelini, there are 37 humps!"

Also, that we're arguing about what I believed to be an obvious reference to somebody pretending to be Bo Pelini in the first place, isn't lost on me.

So I'll ask again. When it comes to making references to other material as a joke, are there rules? How old does the reference have to be (1980s era movies okay, but a tweet from two days ago is not?)? What media can you reference (movies and songs are fine, but no social media?)?

Or can we just assume that as we banter on Allbuffs, we can reference other threads, posts, social events, news and media products in a light-hearted way without worrying that somebody will accuse us of plagiarism because for once they actually got the reference?

I'm just going to copy and paste this later.

Orr, I have tired of this conversation.

So, you're just going to charge me with a lack of integrity several times, and bow out? You seem like a really good guy.

To my way of thinking, if you're going to question somebody's integrity, you should probably stick around and see it through, no matter how weary you've become.

I don't react to mom jokes and girlfriend jokes, because I understand their intent, and they're not a line for me. But what you're accusing me of is pretty serious to me, so I'd appreciate a response to my post. Acknowledging again, of course, your exhaustion in this matter.

Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Orr plagerizes from a variety of sources. It is unfair to call him out for a single one.

So, you're just going to charge me with a lack of integrity several times, and bow out? You seem like a really good guy.

To my way of thinking, if you're going to question somebody's integrity, you should probably stick around and see it through, no matter how weary you've become.

I don't react to mom jokes and girlfriend jokes, because I understand their intent, and they're not a line for me. But what you're accusing me of is pretty serious to me, so I'd appreciate a response to my post. Acknowledging again, of course, your exhaustion in this matter.

Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Dude, if you didn't plagiarize then why are you so upset? Let people think I am wrong and nit picking. If a person acts with integrity they should let their actions speak for themselves. The fact you are so vehemently defending yourself makes you seem like a man with a guilty conscience. I would have dropped this hours ago and chalked it up to miscommunication.

I am sure you don't care what I think. If you aren't a plagOrrist then you should be able to sleep soundly. I will either way, so no sense stressing about it.

(By the way, your state jokes are comedy gold. People might start referencing them as their own.)

Dude, if you didn't plagiarize then why are you so upset? Let people think I am wrong and nit picking. If a person acts with integrity they should let their actions speak for themselves. The fact you are so vehemently defending yourself makes you seem like a man with a guilty conscience. I would have dropped this hours ago and chalked it up to miscommunication.

I am sure you don't care what I think. If you aren't a plagOrrist then you should be able to sleep soundly. I will either way, so no sense stressing about it.

(By the way, your state jokes are comedy gold. People might start referencing them as their own.)

I'm pretty sure that everybody but you saw my post for what it was. I sleep just fine. My annoyance stems from you accusing of something that isn't true. At first I thought you were joking, but it became clear that you weren't.

Do you really live in a world where people challenge your integrity and you just forget about it? I don't.

It's not a guilty conscience that makes me defend myself. Honestly, are some things not worth defending?

I'm pretty sure that everybody but you saw my post for what it was. I sleep just fine. My annoyance stems from you accusing of something that isn't true. At first I thought you were joking, but it became clear that you weren't.

Do you really live in a world where people challenge your integrity and you just forget about it? I don't.

It's not a guilty conscience that makes me defend myself. Honestly, are some things not worth defending?

Holy crap. This is your Alamo. Those guys defended that as well, but in retrospect they may have wanted to use a different strategy.

I am a guy on the internet using a fake name like everyone else here. Let it go. I am not going to tell you I don't think you intended to play that off as your own, but that is just my opinion. We probably won't trade Christmas cards this year and I probably won't make it to one of your seminars after all, but can we agree to disagree?

Orr plagerizes from a variety of sources. It is unfair to call him out for a single one.

:lol: This is awesome!

I kind of remember Tante losing his **** a bunch of times when people joked about ****ing his wife, and 4Dem similarly lost his **** when someone joked about him flying while drinking. I get it--everybody has buttons. But this guy isn't joking, and equally annoying, he's not willing to respond to my points on the matter.

Holy crap. This is your Alamo. Those guys defended that as well, but in retrospect they may have wanted to use a different strategy.

I am a guy on the internet using a fake name like everyone else here. Let it go. I am not going to tell you I don't think you intended to play that off as your own, but that is just my opinion. We probably won't trade Christmas cards this year and I probably won't make it to one of your seminars after all, but can we agree to disagree?

No.

I kind of remember Tante losing his **** a bunch of times when people joked about ****ing his wife, and 4Dem similarly lost his **** when someone joked about him flying while drinking. I get it--everybody has buttons. But this guy isn't joking, and equally annoying, he's not willing to respond to my points on the matter.

Listen, dummy. I am on your side.

Either Orr is Bill Cosby or he is just going to plagerize everything that he says.

I didn't say you weren't. I was pointing out that the peanut gallery has their own hot buttons too.

Very true.

But, I would not say that I lost my ****. I don't like it and defend myself but, I don't think that qualifies as losing ones ****. And I don't think you have done so either. But, think if I told you that you were losing your **** over this... how would that make you feel?

Are you losing your **** or simply trying to defend yourself?

Very true.

But, I would not say that I lost my ****. I don't like it and defend myself but, I don't think that qualifies as losing ones ****. And I don't think you have done so either. But, think if I told you that you were losing your **** over this... how would that make you feel?

Are you losing your **** or simply trying to defend yourself?

A little of both, I think.

I know I read this almost verbatim somewhere else but I just can't place it. Sucks to get old.

That was my reference. Thank you for catching it.

Which one are you again?

Alright, Orr. I will stop trolling you now. I accept that you weren't intending to plagiarize Faux Pelini. Bet you remember who I am after today.

giphy.gif

If we win six, we will be one of the most improved teams in football and won't make a bowl game. :smile2:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

We could go back and forth on this all day. I don't see how you were making a Faux Pelini reference, it read like you were playing off the 'hump' comment and using his line to make a joke. Using his joke doesn't 'refer' to him. Maybe I just don't get your sophisticated "non-vowel state" humor.

Have a great Sunday. Go Buffs.
Orr is the Carlos Mencia of allbuffs. What could possibly go wrong? Amirite? What constitution?

Back