1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most prospect-loaded teams in CBB - ESPN

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

This list doesn't necessarily mean "best teams". Furd majorly under-achieved for 4 years with last year's seniors before winning a couple games in the Dance after they had backed into an invite.

Still, it's telling how CU is only beginning to build a program that actually has Top 25 talent. We're not there yet. Maybe a Top 25 program now, but not Top 25 talent.

1. Kentucky Wildcats

2. Kansas Jayhawks

3. Duke Blue Devils

4. Arizona Wildcats

Sean Miller and the Wildcats lost lottery pick Aaron Gordon and also saw Nick Johnsondepart, but there will still be plenty of NBA-caliber talent in Tucson this season. Freshman Stanley Johnson is a likely one-and-done, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson could become a lottery pick and both Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarczewski have a chance to go in the first round. There's also the wild card of 7-foot Serbian freshman Dusan Ristic.

5. North Carolina Tar Heels

6. Louisville Cardinals

7. Texas Longhorns

8. Florida Gators

9. Wisconsin Badgers

10. LSU Tigers

11. Stanford Cardinal

The Cardinal have a few players with a shot to make the league, and the best may be skilled and long wing Anthony Brown. Chasson Randle also has a chance, as well as freshmen big men Reid Travis and Michael Humphrey. Johnny Dawkins has as much overall talent as he's had since arriving in Palo Alto.

12. UCLA Bruins

The Bruins are difficult to evaluate because their most talented players will be freshmen. Holdover Norman Powell has a chance, but the class of Kevon Looney,Jonah Bolden and Thomas Welsh, in addition to Isaac Hamilton (he sat out last season), may all have a chance to play at the next level. Looney is long and can really rebound, Bolden is a skilled wing and Welsh is a legit 7-footer.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3894

2. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

And yet Dawkins will **** it up

3. Medford M.

Medford M. Well-Known Member

Wisconsin's two 2nd round talents get them in the top 10?

What?

Must be ridiculously bad year for talent then.

4. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

If Dekker is a second round talent, then this will be one of the best drafts in NBA history.

5. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Dekker is getting 1st Round grade...currently projected 18

6. Buffnik

I don't know what to make of Dekkar. At times, he looks like the best player on the court. Skill-wise, he impresses everyone.

But we're also talking about a guy who's not big enough to play the "4", but also isn't a great shooter. He also doesn't have a good post-up game. Is he going to slash to score in the NBA? I don't think so.

7. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Sweet 16?

8. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

How about the three years prior where they were loaded and missed the dance? Dawkins isn't a good coach.

9. Medford M.

Also, not a great ball handler in terms of being an NBA 3.

10. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

Kinda poor timing to be hating on Dekker as he's been one of the most buzz worthy NBA prospects in the last few weeks.
    He is 6'9 now & was the consensus MVP of the Lebron Skills camp

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...ebron-james-skills-academy-college-basketball

11. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

I was going to say this. He killed it this summer at both the LeBron and Durant camps. Don't expect it to translate to numbers during the NCAA season, though. Bo Ryan doesn't play that way.

12. Buffnik

The thing is, though, that Ryan's offense is always incredibly efficient regardless of pace.

But Dekker shot under 33% behind the arc, under 50% from the field, and under 70% from the line. He scored 472 points on 358 attempts for a 1.318 ratio. For comparison, I don't think we look at XJ as the most efficient player. XJ was 396 on 293 (1.352) playing a similar position and role.

I'm impressed with Dekker, but not sold on him as a great NBA prospect at this point.

13. Medford M.

Bingo. As good as Dekker looks in camp/practice settings, it hasn't fully translated to games at this point.

14. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

I'm pretty indifferent to Dekker tbh but, aside from XJ & Dekker having similar shooting %'s, Dekker's stats are vastly superior. Dekker has a 22 PER, 118.2 Offensive rating, & 9 win shares over 2 seasons. XJ has a 15.8 PER, 106.9 Offensive rating, & 5.4 Win Shares over 2 seasons. Moreover, Dekker is now 6'9, getting run at the biggest summer camps & exposure from a deep tourney run that may be repeated. All 3 of those things are huge for his NBA prospects. Odds are on him being a 1st rd pick at this point, but I'm not arguing that he'll be a good NBA player.

stats:
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sam-dekker-1.html
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/xavier-johnson-1.html

15. Buffnik

I wasn't even intending to start a comparison between Dekker and XJ. I was just throwing his scoring efficiency out there as illustrative since everyone here is very familiar with XJ and may not be with Dekker.

But if we're going to look at the comparison numbers from the advanced metrics, XJ matches on eFG, has a much higher TRB despite being a shorter guy, and has a much better DRtg. Dekker has an excellent ORtg and Win Share, largely because of his very high AST% and very low TOV%. I wonder how much of that boils down to him being coached by Bo Ryan and fitting so well into his system.

Anyway, I don't question that Dekker is an excellent college player. I do question whether he's going to live up to the current hype and maintain his current draft status.

16. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Sure are a lot of acronyms in this thread.

17. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Here this may help

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

I can see XJ and Josh making NBA teams in the next two years. Gordon has a little ways to go but can get there. Hopkins, Fletcher, and Collier are very young but all have ceilings high enough to get there.

19. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

interesting