What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Moten Reinstated

Nah my dad and grandpa both talk to Bohn on a weekly basis and my grandpa is one of the higher level donors. And being suspended for academic reasons would make the most sense.

Now I know how you got into CU. :smile2:

I was serious when I thanked you for sharing.

Now I know how you got into CU. :smile2:

I was serious when I thanked you for sharing.
Me being a 4th generation Buff and having a long time donor in my family (since 1957 IIRC) probably helped :thumbsup:

I figured you were giving me **** at the same time so no worries.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Creatini
According to my dad (who has some ins with the program), three were for academics and not going to class and the other two were for lack of work effort in practice and violation of team rules.

Thanks, bcs. Good info.

:rofl2:

Allbuffs is a strange, strange place mid-season when The Buffs suck donkey-balls. At least there's volleyball...

Didn't he break his leg? Orms was the one who got suspended.

According to my dad (who has some ins with the program), three were for academics and not going to class and the other two were for lack of work effort in practice and violation of team rules.

Indefinite academic suspensions? You can't be serious. I'm sure Embo and EB were straight A students at CU and made every class. :rolling_eyes:

Indefinite academic suspensions? You can't be serious. I'm sure Embo and EB were straight A students at CU and made every class. :rolling_eyes:

???? Why is this unreasonable? If their academics are a mess, and they aren't going to class, why would Embree NOT sit them? Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to support kids not working in the classroom, while at the same time being shocked that this great academic institution is getting APR penalties. 99% of the kids on this roster are not going to play in the NFL. Like it or not, one of Embree's roles is to make sure these kids can get a job when they're done playing.

There is a reason they call it an "athletic SCHOLARship".

???? Why is this unreasonable? If their academics are a mess, and they aren't going to class, why would Embree NOT sit them? Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to support kids not working in the classroom, while at the same time being shocked that this great academic institution is getting APR penalties. 99% of the kids on this roster are not going to play in the NFL. Like it or not, one of Embree's roles is to make sure these kids can get a job when they're done playing.

There is a reason they call it an "athletic SCHOLARship".

Wrong. Embo's job is to win football games. I hope every single one of these kids graduates, but that responsibility is on THEM. As long as they're academically eligible, they should be on the team. Name a single Top-10 college football program where this would happen. You can't.

And let's stop pretending like an undergrad A&S degree from CU is a degree from the ****ing Harvard of the Rockies. Brother.

Last edited:
Wrong. Embo's job is to win football games. I hope every single one of these kids graduates, but that responsibility is on THEM. As long as they're academically eligible, they should be on the team. Name a single Top-10 college football program where this would happen. You can't.

And let's stop pretending like an undergrad A&S degree from CU is a degree from the ****ing Harvard of the Rockies. Brother.

If you are a marginal contributor with the ability to get good grades your ass better be in class not ****ing up the APR.

I'm sure they abided by the standards laid out by Mac. If Embree laid out standards of attending class (which he did), and they weren't living up to the team rules and standards, he has every right to suspend them.

No, it's not Harvard, which means it's not so difficult to go to your 12 hours of class per week and get at least a C. It's not like Embree's asking too much.

I'm sure they abided by the standards laid out by Mac. If Embree laid out standards of attending class (which he did), and they weren't living up to the team rules and standards, he has every right to suspend them.

I think this is a valid point. I'm not saying Embo doesn't have a right to suspend them, though. My point is that there were a lot of players on the CU teams EB and Embo were on that weren't exactly "scholars." Hell, look at the '86 Nebraska game video posted on the forum where Embo yanks his helmet off and is screaming and yelling on the field. I love to see that kind of passion (****, I'd kill for it from any of our seniors right now) but Embo would have some kid's ass if he did that on Saturday. I just wonder if there is undue pressure from above to run the cleanest ship in college football. If so, the best we can ever hope for is an 8 win season.

I hope all you guys are happy with the team's GPA for the next several years because it seems like you value that more than #WINNING.

Embree would have his ass because it's a penalty, not for showing emotion. Embree needs to set a standard and has shown that no one is immune. It's not too hard to show up to class and get a C and if it was academics, obviously they weren't doing that. APR can also hold us out of bowl games to now.

I hope all you guys are happy with the team's GPA for the next several years because it seems like you value that more than #WINNING.

If you really think that what this team needs right now is to be held less accountable, to have fewer expectations placed and them and to be given permission to let easily manageable tasks slide off the field, I don't think you have a great understanding of where this program is right now...

Like I said, I think the APR argument fails because kicking kids off the team for academic reasons is not helping the APR. And it isn't helping the kids either. Football gives them some structure and academic support. Without football? All of that is gone.

azbuff bringing it strong with a lot of weird assumptions today. Nice.

Do you honestly think Embree suspended the guys because they missed a class or two? Can you give the guy a little credit? Maybe, just maybe, this has been an ongoing problem for several months now. One of the problems during the Hawkins era was he was completely hands off on the academic side. It ended up biting us in the ass.

The fact that Moten was reinstated pretty quickly shows me that Embree is not being totally unreasonable either.

I think this is a valid point. I'm not saying Embo doesn't have a right to suspend them, though. My point is that there were a lot of players on the CU teams EB and Embo were on that weren't exactly "scholars." Hell, look at the '86 Nebraska game video posted on the forum where Embo yanks his helmet off and is screaming and yelling on the field. I love to see that kind of passion (****, I'd kill for it from any of our seniors right now) but Embo would have some kid's ass if he did that on Saturday. I just wonder if there is undue pressure from above to run the cleanest ship in college football. If so, the best we can ever hope for is an 8 win season.

Teams didnt lose schollys for poor academics in '86. Its important to keep players in class.

azbuff bringing it strong with a lot of weird assumptions today. Nice.

Do you honestly think Embree suspended the guys because they missed a class or two? Can you give the guy a little credit? Maybe, just maybe, this has been an ongoing problem for several months now.

One of the problems during the Hawkins era was he was completely hands off on the academic side. It ended up biting us in the ass.

We're all making assumptions. Your assumptions are just different than mine. I'll ask my original question again: name a top-10 program where multiple players get indefinitely suspended for academic reasons six games into the season?

Unlike others on this board, I love Embo and I love this staff, including Greg Brown. I am questioning: (a) whether Creatini's info is accurate; and (b) if it is, why we're trying to run a much cleaner program now than the one we're supposedly trying so hard to emulate.

Like I said, I think the APR argument fails because kicking kids off the team for academic reasons is not helping the APR. And it isn't helping the kids either. Football gives them some structure and academic support. Without football? All of that is gone.

The APR is hurt when they fail to make academic progress and graduate. They haven't been kicked off the team, they were suppended and barred from football related activities until they correct the reasons for them getting suspended, e.g. Moten. They would still have access to the academic support structure in the athletic department.

Suspending players is probably not the best way to keep them in class IMO.

It is if they have the opportunity to get back on the team, as Moten has. You keep talking about "kicking players off the team". That is very clearly not what's happening here.

As for what top 10 teams do? I really don't give a flying ****. What THIS team needs is to be held accountable, to take care of their business on and off the field, and to start taking **** seriously. We've seen what happens for several years now when they aren't required to do that. Embree is still battling the effects of that. This isn't just about being "Harvard" or "caring more about GPAs than winning". This is about establishing a standard for the members of this program. This is about teaching them about pride and expectations and being a man. And if you think anybody in the top 10 doesn't rely on that kind of attitude, I think you'll find you're mistaken.

We're all making assumptions. Your assumptions are just different than mine. I'll ask my original question again: name a top-10 program where multiple players get indefinitely suspended for academic reasons six games into the season?

Unlike others on this board, I love Embo and I love this staff, including Greg Brown. I am questioning: (a) whether Creatini's info is accurate; and (b) if it is, why we're trying to run a much cleaner program now than the one we're supposedly trying so hard to emulate.

Well, if we want to be completely honest here, several guys on the team would have just been cut outright at top 10 programs.

Back