What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Moten Reinstated

What else does he have? Threats arent working. You dont change a weak culture by allowing it to continue.

Well, frankly, we're all making different assumptions and it is difficult to have a coherent discussion without knowing the facts. I agree that if these guys were skipping class twice a week every week and Embo told them not to do that twice a week every week, they probably got what was coming to them. I just find that hard to believe.

And, mostly, I'm just sick and tired of losing. I love this school and this team too much to sit through this.

We're all making assumptions. Your assumptions are just different than mine. I'll ask my original question again: name a top-10 program where multiple players get indefinitely suspended for academic reasons six games into the season?

Unlike others on this board, I love Embo and I love this staff, including Greg Brown. I am questioning: (a) whether Creatini's info is accurate; and (b) if it is, why we're trying to run a much cleaner program now than the one we're supposedly trying so hard to emulate.
We need to focus less on being a top 10 team and focus on getting to a bowl game.

First, I know that last spring, Embree told many players that they would not be allowed to live off campus if they didn't get their grades in order. If these suspensions are for academics, then that carrot didn't work and the suspension is strictly on the player. Second, if I'm a parent of a recruit and I value academics as part of my son's college experience, then I would be impressed with Embree's commitment to academics. He can speak to a parent and recruit about his commitment to academics and they will belive him.

I hope all you guys are happy with the team's GPA for the next several years because it seems like you value that more than #WINNING.

Embree is in the process of setting the standard and showing the team he means it. Would you rather he issue a lot of hollow threats and then not follow up on them?

Embree is in the process of setting the standard and showing the team he means it. Would you rather he issue a lot of hollow threats and then not follow up on them?

I am simply in shock that some people want to continue HaLks policies

Embree and Bienemy were not honor students and never got close to a Rhodes scholarship. At the same time they took care of business well enough that they weren't a risk for eligibility and were always there on Saturdays.

Nobody expects these guys to pull straight A's or populate the Deans List. What they are expected to do is go to class, do the work, and keep their grades high enough to stay away from the eligibility report. They are also expected to stay out of the kind of trouble that could lead them to the news pages instead of the sports pages.

I have no problem with holding people accountable. I doubt that the expectations are unreasonable and if the players want to play they need to meet the expectations, if not find another place to play ball and make room for somebody that their teammates and coaches can count on.

The horror, having players accountable for being a student also. What's this world coming to. If you study you lose games. :rolling_eyes:

Just to vent: it gets really old to see responses to threads where posters: (1) didn't read the entire thread or (2) are too ****ing stupid to understand someone else's point. A lot of posters on here made solid points (including Creatini, by Jesus!) but a lot of you just backed up the masses and put words in my posts that weren't written.

We don't have a clear idea why these players were suspended. My view is that the teams this team is trying to emulate (in other words, why Embo and Eb were hired) were not exactly replete with clean cut guys. See SI article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126580/2/index.htm. All I want is the team to win. As I explained in this thread, there are certainly academic circumstances that warrant the suspensions, but we don't know that it happened in this instance.

I also find it hypocritical that the same people who rip this coaching staff inside out are willing to back them up on suspensions they know nothing about.

Just to vent: it gets really old to see responses to threads where posters: (1) didn't read the entire thread or (2) are too ****ing stupid to understand someone else's point. A lot of posters on here made solid points (including Creatini, by Jesus!) but a lot of you just backed up the masses and put words in my posts that weren't written you mother ****ing asshole dumb **** jerks.
What the heck are you talking about?

From that same SI article

Ironically, McCartney had been regarded as a strict disciplinarian. He insists that his players do their class-work, and, in fact, his team is believed to have a respectable graduation rate. The athletic department's drug policy is among the firmest in the country—Colorado athletes are automatically suspended from participating in sports for one year the first time that they test positive. McCartney also has been trying to confront the difficulties faced by black athletes. Once a year, the Buffaloes' black players meet with black leaders from the Boulder area.

From that same SI article

Fair enough. I'm seriously done with this argument, but I would like to know how many players were suspended for academic reasons during Mac's career. My guess? Less than the five suspended last week. Regardless, I do support this staff and do think we're on the right track. It is going to take awhile and it is frustrating as hell.

Just to vent: it gets really old to see responses to threads where posters: (1) didn't read the entire thread or (2) are too ****ing stupid to understand someone else's point. A lot of posters on here made solid points (including Creatini, by Jesus!) but a lot of you just backed up the masses and put words in my posts that weren't written.

We don't have a clear idea why these players were suspended. My view is that the teams this team is trying to emulate (in other words, why Embo and Eb were hired) were not exactly replete with clean cut guys. See SI article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126580/2/index.htm. All I want is the team to win. As I explained in this thread, there are certainly academic circumstances that warrant the suspensions, but we don't know that it happened in this instance.

I also find it hypocritical that the same people who rip this coaching staff inside out are willing to back them up on suspensions they know nothing about.
So you are mad about the suspensions. What do you suggest he do to enforce discipline for repeat offenders then?

you want to not have strict discipline, but have the benefits of strict discipline. You can't have your cake and eat it too. So present a solution instead of bagging on people for supporting the methods that will result in wins.

From the latest article it sounds like Moten's suspension was academic related. The other 4 are probably drugs

The other 4 are probably drugs
gghfghgh%5B1%5D.jpg

From the latest article it sounds like Moten's suspension was academic related. The other 4 are probably drugs

I would agree with Moten's situation. As to the others you may be correct but I don't think it is fair to speculate since it really could be anything. If the violations are not severe enough to warrant legal action or university action then it should stay "in house" unless the guys don't take care of what needs to be done to get back into good standing.

That all said, I would not be surprised if at least 2 of the remainding guys never show up again in a Buff uniform. I think that this whole thing is a message from Embree about making the commitment needed to be successful as an individual and a team. My impression is that there are still guys who have not gotten that message and not bought into doing what it takes to meet expectations. In that way this may be an invitation for these guys to think about what they really want to do and leave if they can't buy in.

Thank you to whatever person is convincing people/donors that these suspensions were academic. Makes us look a lot better.

As a parent, if I catch my kids doing some of the things that I did when I was younger I am going to ground them for several years. If I catch them doing some of the things my friends did, then all hell is going to break loose. Does that make me a hypocrite? No, it shows that there's a difference between being the kid and being the parent.

I am frustrated with losing as well but I don't seriously think that this group of players represents the difference between losing and wining. And, finally, since I have no clue what they did, I have no way to judge whether or not the suspensions were warranted. I'm happy to defer to the coaching staff for now.

Back