What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Much Bowl Talk From HCMM & Players

boydbuff

Club Member
Club Member
I have not seen a specific thread on this although maybe there is one. This is the first time HCMM has been so openly willingly to speak about a bowl game being a goal for the season. He says it has been driven by players verbally expressing that as their intention for the first time.

From the news reports we now have a flag on the practice fields which shows all the bowl games with Pac 12 affiliations. Lots of the players are openly talking about it too. I find it interesting that HCMM is willing to go on record this year with the bowl game being the goal because in prior years it was obvious he was avoiding "unrealistic expectations". I think he legitimately believes, and so do many of the players, that a bowl game is actually in reach this year.

I hope that is the case, and if so, we will be in the media plenty b/c that will mean some upsets over higher ranked Pac 12 teams and will be one of the quicker turnarounds of a cellar team in history. With facilities, energy from JL and a bowl year we could have a wicked good and big recruiting class next year and finish off this one with a bang.

I am not saying we are going bowling. I hope we do. But I certainly like that HCMM is willing to say in front of the media that it is his goal this year.

He's been careful to say it's a goal and its not impossible.

This isn't like Hawkin's 10 win predictions or some of the other stuff you see.

To me it comes across more as a message to the kids. conveys the idea that they don't have to lose anymore, they are good enough to win their share of games and should be aiming at that. Also gives a target. You don't usually accomplish things unless you set the goals to get there.

I don't think that this team will get a bowl this year, hope I'm wrong. I do want the team to be disappointed though if they don't get a bowl, not just expect to lose like we have seen in recent years past.

Much Bowl Talk From HCMM & Players

MacIntyre is only saying it because the players have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacIntyre is only saying it because the players have

'zactly. Listen to his presser today and he flatout says he's echoing his team. They believe, and he's pumping it up. The flag on the practice field with the p12 bowl affiliations was his idea because the team didn't know.

This is very encouraging for me. This isn't coach-speak. This is the team buying in, believing in themselves, and setting their eyes on a realistic goal.

more than any practice report posted, this gives me great hope.

How is this different than when the team broke every huddle with "bowl game"?
The team actually believes it and we have competent coaches.

Their was almost a fight in the locker room because someone asked who they were going to beat, or something along those lines, and others said who the hell is going to beat us?

The team mentality is VASTLY different than the past.

I hope so. I admit that I have been imbibing of the kool aid and am having a hard time figuring out who might have a chance to beat us.

Here's a picture of the Pac-12 bowls flag from the practice fields. Thanks RK.

[tweet]630130775392845824[/tweet]

I will believe it when I see it. Embree had the players lugging bricks around and had similar talk of going to bowls. Hawk was blabbing on about 10 wins.

Nothing that is said or messaged right now matters.

I'm glad that the team is confident. Need to open strong, because I fear that it's fragile. I think they've done what it takes to win, but until they do win it's hard to say that they know how.

I will believe it when I see it. Embree had the players lugging bricks around and had similar talk of going to bowls. Hawk was blabbing on about 10 wins.

Nothing that is said or messaged right now matters.

Embree had players do x, y, z.

MacIntyre is echoing what players are saying to him, not the other way around. It's important to distinguish the two.

There have been many reports that this team has a confidence level we haven't seen in a long time and actually believe they can beat anyone they play. That attitude didn't really even exist last year.

I'm glad that the team is confident. Need to open strong, because I fear that it's fragile. I think they've done what it takes to win, but until they do win it's hard to say that they know how.

This is why I think the Hawaii game is critical. Beat Hawaii and the players start believing that they can win and win on the road.

Get that win and they likely go into the sheep game 2-0 and end the OOC 4-0. Lose and they doubt themselves with a good chance of going 2-2 in the OOC and struggling to get any conference wins.

We should beat Hawaii, we are a better team but lots of better teams than Hawaii have struggled on the islands. M2 needs to be ready for the game and handle what happens in it.

The cloud is a fun place.

You should visit the cloud sometime. Bring a guest pipe/bong.

With this OOC schedule, a bowl game should be the goal. If he were setting the expectation lower I'd be disappointed.

I find it incredible that there are still some CU fans who want to jump on other fans who take a "wait-and-see" approach. Players and coaches are going to hype the program every single offseason, just as they have done here at CU every year for at least the dozen or so years that I've been paying close attention. Just because the sunshine is now flowing from the players to the coaches instead of from the coaches to the players doesn't automatically mean that "it's different this time".

Gotta believe before you can achieve. It does come down to getting it done on the field but nothing wrong with setting some goals and holding yourself accountable to them.

I find it incredible that there are still some CU fans who want to jump on other fans who take a "wait-and-see" approach. Players and coaches are going to hype the program every single offseason, just as they have done here at CU every year for at least the dozen or so years that I've been paying close attention. Just because the sunshine is now flowing from the players to the coaches instead of from the coaches to the players doesn't automatically mean that "it's different this time".

No one is getting on anyone, I am merely pointing out that this is a thing the players are talking about, rather than coaches pushing it on them.

This is not the same mentality in recent years. If you think it's the same as previous years you aren't paying as much attention as you think you are. This is a mentality that we have been missing.

Adam from Rivals just posted a front page article "Embracing Bowl Chatter"

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1790321

Like others in this thread have said, it doesn't mean anything exactly and HCMM is not saying bowl or bust. What I find interesting about it is that HCMM has been very reserved before every season. When asked about bowl games in previous years he never committed to that as a clear goal. He always said the goal is to go 1 and 0 every game and get better as a team.

To me it was obvious in previous years he did not believe a bowl was really in their sights yet and didn't want to go on record with the bowl being the goal b/c it could hurt the team and his tenure at CU. This is the first year he is embracing the bowl game which to me means, he believes we can go bowling this year. Because he doesn't tend to be boisterous and blow smoke up people's arses, I am encouraged that the person with the most knowledge about whether we actually can make that jump or not this year, believes it is possible.

Step in the right direction at least.

That is as good as a description of how MM has handled facilities,recruiting,team size,etc. I believe he has built a solid base for us and the team to grow from.

All this shows me is that MM has a plan, and knew he had to build it from the base up. Recruiting is picking up, kids are longer in his program and starting to believe, and my guess is Mac sees 4 or 5 wins he knows we should get for sure, and another 4 or 5 games that all have a chance to go our way if we play smart and maybe get the ball to bounce our way a few times. Not that we will win all of them and go 10-3, but just saying that there is a shot at 7 wins and a bowl game. CU should go 4-0 to start. Yes, Hawaii at home and CSU will be closer than we want probably, but SHOULD come out with wins. I can't wait to see how the team looks and plays with Oregon. Even with a loss, if we keep it somewhat close for most of the game, that can even energize the team for the rest of the schedule. Just have to avoid a blowout in game 5.

I went to the practice last night, and I've been to at least one the last 4 years years. There was a palpable difference in the energy and vocalness of the players. They were having fun and competing hard. Whether it's realistic or not, the players are confident in their abilities and I see a corner turned here...at least in the players energy etc.

I was talking to a few fans last night and one pointed out in 4 conference games that we could've/should've won...a ref call played a major role. I'm not going down that bunny trail of calls etc, just saying if a few calls went our way or were correctly called, we could've been a 5 win team...so 2 more wins from a 5 win team is not as big a jump as a 7 win season from a 2 win team.

I think they have every reason to be confident...here's hoping they execute!

BTW...said a few words to Nembot last night outside Dal Ward and I can not get over just how large that young man is...OMG!

Back in the late 80's, before I even followed the Buffs, I was staying part of the summer with a girlfriend up in the Vail valley. There were a couple of Buff football players hanging (Sal Aunese and Okland Salavea) with a guy from Vail they had met at CU. They told me straight out that they were going to the Orange bowl that year. OU had just gone like 11-1 and I thought "yeah, right." But since Okland was quite a large man, I didn't say anything. Of course they went on a pretty good run in the following years.

Confidence from the players is a necessary ingredient for success. It's not enough by itself to ensure success, but without it a team is going nowhere.

I'm finding myself having a really difficult time not feeling like something bad is going to happen. Like, say, a loss to Hawaii or CSU, for instance, causing all our hopes for the season to come crashing down before the season really even gets started. These years of futility, of having my hopes dashed, have given me a "losers" mentality! I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER DISAPPOINTING SEASON!!!!

I'm finding myself having a really difficult time not feeling like something bad is going to happen. Like, say, a loss to Hawaii or CSU, for instance, causing all our hopes for the season to come crashing down before the season really even gets started. These years of futility, of having my hopes dashed, have given me a "losers" mentality! I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER DISAPPOINTING SEASON!!!!

This seems about as useful as speculating about injuries happening.

This seems about as useful as speculating about injuries happening.

Umm, the point I'm trying to make is that the years of getting hopes up to only have them dashed, season in and season out, for me at least, raises a slight bit of doubt in the back of my mind. It does not mean I am not hopeful. Just call it "cautious optimism."

Back