What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MWC Expands - End of the WAC?

Maybe it will help UNM build a better football program and take them to the next level. I would really love to see them rise to the level of making sense if and when Pac-12 expansion happens again.

They have a long way to go, facilities wise. Their basketball facilities are fabulous. Thier football facilities pretty much mirror what CSU has, only it's on campus instead of being out in the boonies. If I had to guess, I'd peg their football stadium capacity at about 30K. That won't cut it.

pretty outrageous move with a lot of failed foreshadowing when the original WAC teams left the 16 team WAC to form the MWC and preserve the old rivalries and flava along the front range with Utah and SDSU in the mix.

i respect it for that. unheard of in today's conference ad revenue media market reorganizations.

The WAC isn't done!

They just changed the name to the MWC. Really, when I look at that lineup, it's the old WAC combined with the new WAC.

Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State, SJSU... They got as good a chance as anyone to dominate that conference. But will anyone notice? They are really in a world of hurt for revenue (except CSU, which has discovered a money tree somewhere in the foothills evidently).

The WAC isn't done!

They just changed the name to the MWC. Really, when I look at that lineup, it's the old WAC combined with the new WAC.

Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State, SJSU... They got as good a chance as anyone to dominate that conference. But will anyone notice? They are really in a world of hurt for revenue (except CSU, which has discovered a money tree somewhere in the foothills evidently).

CSU's money tree is very limited long term and ,if they don't get spectacular results asap, will dry up faster than the octomom's milk bags during her kids' lunch time.

They have a long way to go, facilities wise. Their basketball facilities are fabulous. Thier football facilities pretty much mirror what CSU has, only it's on campus instead of being out in the boonies. If I had to guess, I'd peg their football stadium capacity at about 30K. That won't cut it.

I was curious so I looked it up...Sure enough New Mexico has a bigger stadium than Wazzoooo.

WAC doesn't have anything left to merge. Down to NMSU and Idaho. If the Sun Belt wants NMSU, they'll just take them.

This is most likely. Idaho doesn't add much if anything to the Sun Belt other than an expensive flight to get there. NMSU is a good fit in a lot of ways including geography and finances.

I was curious so I looked it up...Sure enough New Mexico has a bigger stadium than Wazzoooo.

If New Mexico ever got their act together they could have a gold mine. City with a population closing in on one million people with virtually no pro sports competition. The flagship university in the entire state. Fairly close to Texas for recruiting purposes. Stadium is right in town and seats close to 40k.

If they could put some money and effort into the football program and get the local fans excited they would be a target for a number of conferences looking to expand. Their problem is that they have been so incompetent running it that they have one of the worst programs in the country and lots of locals don't care if they exist. Capture that attention and they could be a powerhouse.

If New Mexico ever got their act together they could have a gold mine. City with a population closing in on one million people with virtually no pro sports competition. The flagship university in the entire state. Fairly close to Texas for recruiting purposes. Stadium is right in town and seats close to 40k.

If they could put some money and effort into the football program and get the local fans excited they would be a target for a number of conferences looking to expand. Their problem is that they have been so incompetent running it that they have one of the worst programs in the country and lots of locals don't care if they exist. Capture that attention and they could be a powerhouse.

Not that they were great (losing 4 of them), but UNM did go to bowl game 5 times in 6 years from 2002 thru 2007.

More than expanding their football stadium, they need to refurbish it with something in the plans that included architectural plans for eventual expansion to 50k. They would have the best basketball arena in the Pac-12 from day one if they joined, so that's something in their favor.

Actually, UNM and UNLV are my favorite targets for getting to a Pac-14. It fills out the map, raises our hoops profile tremendously, and allows us to completely own the west. UNLV's doing the new stadium and our championship game is already there, so that would be a natural fit.

Both have some work to do with academics, though.

As it is UNM has a very difficult time keeping great in-state talent in MBB. There's little to no talent in football since the southern half of the state is the only part that really takes football seriously at the HS level. They'd have to keep good in-state talent first and with academics and Albuquerque being a dump it's going to an uphill battle. Then again, Nebraska won its fair share of MNCs. haha

CSU's butthurt about having SJSU and USU join their conference amuses me

Do they think they're more prestigious than those programs?

But I'm sure have absolutely no idea that Texass and Oklahoma might feel the same way about the idea that they think they're going to join the Big XII.

Only Texass an OU have every right to feel that way... :lol:

You have to give the Mtn. Weenie their due. They win the "keep your marginal conference alive by duct tape, bailing wire and spit" contest with the WAC. Adding USU and SJSU definitely raise the level of the conference prestige to new levels. The SunBelt conference is envious.

i actually think USU and SJSU are decent moves for the conference. USU is tough in hoops and have had some national moments in football playing both Oklahoma and Auburn to the wire in OOC. should have beat Auburn.

let's not forget Stew Morrill left CSU for USU....so, Rammies?

i actually think USU and SJSU are decent moves for the conference. USU is tough in hoops and have had some national moments in football playing both Oklahoma and Auburn to the wire in OOC. should have beat Auburn.

let's not forget Stew Morrill left CSU for USU....so, Rammies?

lipstick on a pig

lipstick on a pig

oh sure. no denying that....i took the pig part as the original premise. not a great trend to go from arguing (not convincingly) for an AQ BCS bid with Utah and TCU a couple years ago...to San Jose and USU...but, that's life as a middling conference.

granted the Pac has washed away the scenario but i used to like to argue for the Mick Mountain Zone conference with a strong Utah, BYU, CU, AFA, and adding the Zona schools in a kind of regional pod in a playoff section type deal. that would have been a legit AQ conf (if the Big East ever was). i thought that would be fun and legit.....was also my solution to get out of the Texas schools shadow.

but, turns out this nowtime Pac thing is better.

Last edited:
Not that they were great (losing 4 of them), but UNM did go to bowl game 5 times in 6 years from 2002 thru 2007.

More than expanding their football stadium, they need to refurbish it with something in the plans that included architectural plans for eventual expansion to 50k. They would have the best basketball arena in the Pac-12 from day one if they joined, so that's something in their favor.

Actually, UNM and UNLV are my favorite targets for getting to a Pac-14. It fills out the map, raises our hoops profile tremendously, and allows us to completely own the west. UNLV's doing the new stadium and our championship game is already there, so that would be a natural fit.

Both have some work to do with academics, though.

Isn't it still scheduled for the home stadium of the highest rated team?

Looks like Boise State is having second thoughts: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ight-be-having-second-thoughts-about-big-east

If Boise State and SDSU come back to the league I will have to hand it to Craig Thompson. The MWC would be a solid 12-team regional western league with a conference championship game and would be firmly entrenched with the Big East in the "next cut" of conferences. Frankly a conference configured like this to me looks far more stable than what the Big East is currently attempting to do:

Boise State
San Diego State
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii
Utah State

Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
New Mexico
UNLV
Nevada

Set up the conference so that each school maintains control over its 3rd tier television rights and you might even be able to entice BYU back into the fold with UTEP to get to 14. Killing the WAC could turn out to be a sound move on the part of the MWC.

This group of teams:

sucks.

Certainly the weaker of two divisions if you structure it that way. However, if you somehow snag BYU and UTEP to get to 14 you could even things up pretty quickly. Plus you would probably create a 3-5 bid basketball league every year.

Boise State
San Diego State
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii
New Mexico
UTEP

BYU
Utah State
Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
UNLV
Nevada

Last edited:
Certainly the weaker of two divisions if you structure it that way. However if you somehow snag BYU and UTEP to get to 14 you could even things up pretty quickly. Plus you would probably create a 3-5 bid basketball league every year.

Boise State
San Diego State
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii
New Mexico
UTEP

BYU
Utah State
Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
UNLV
Nevada

You could call the conference championship game the Bronco/Cougar Bowl.

Back