What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My 1000th post...

BlackNGold

Club Member
1000 is just a number no better than 253 or 7632 but round numbers have always been milestones - 20 game winners, hitting 300, 1000 yards rushing, etc. I also realize that compared to some, 1000 posts is a paltry number. But in honor of this modest milestone, I thought it should be at least a thread starter.

The topic - status of CU athletics (especially football) from my view.

I have been following CU since before many on this board were born. A lot has changed, back in the 60s and 70s CU was the State University and local people really supported CU. But those were different times. Bronco Mania was also something to see in the 70s and though the Broncos are the Big Game in town - the fever pitch of Bronco Mania will never approach those levels again.

All programs go through ups and downs but I don't think I have ever seen the passion for CU athletics at such a low level. Friends of mine who just a few years ago loved to discuss and argue CU football are now mostly disinterested in CU athletics. To me it seems like the CU administration is sending a clear signal that athletics are not a priority. We the fans are suppose to support it financially but not get too excited about success or lack there of for CU athletics.

Maybe the Academics and some of the anti-athletic faction in Boulder have finally won. It has all been set up by weak leadership in Boulder. DiStephano was largely ineffective as chancellor previously, Bud Peterson was a breath of fresh air, shaking hands at tailgates and stressing athletics - but he could not wait to leave. Mike Bohn has been a major disappointment to me. He has done a few good things but I don't think he is cut out to be in charge of the whole AD - he lacks vision. The theme of doing things the right way is so lame...it implys that no one else does it the right way but in reality CU is still failing in the area of APR for athletes - after having a high APR previously. It would be like one of your children bringing home all Fs with their justification being they did things the right way - How about As and Bs and doing it the right way.

I was appalled at the hiring of Neuheisel in 94 because I thought that the CU position deserved a nationwide search. By comparison that was a great process compared to what is going on now in the hiring of CU coaches. Bohn always focuses on a single candidate and does not sway from that. CU has had two winning season between the 3 major sports in the last 5 years. That is 15 seasons of competition and only two winning seasons and only one of those by a Mike Bohn hire.

The credentials of these last two hires are not what Division 1 Basketball programs look for in candidates.

I renewed my Football season tickets this year but this is the end. I remember Tad Boyle when in HS letting it be known his total disdain for CU - I don't need my money going to pay him.

Sorry for the down note but I am reaching my breaking point. I stuck in there during the Fairbanks era and all the bad Basketball seasons but I was always confident that losing was unacceptable at CU and with that attitude the programs would bounce back. Now I think it is acceptable in the minds of too many.

Congrats on reaching 1,000 posts. I always appreciate your contributions to the board. It is a really weird time to be a CU athletics fan right now.

Interesting and straight-forward post. I like and admire it when someone tells it like it is, for good or for bad.

Back