What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My Breaking Point

I agree with Goose. I am a newbie and sometimes can't figure out what is going on in some of the threads. I don't get any of the inside jokes. I made it a point to watch both the men and the women's games this year so I could participate. However, by the time I would get here, I didn't know what was being discussed any more.

My 2 cents.

Welcome! Please forgive our tendency to wander off topic. It doesn't mean we don't still want to hear your thoughts when you get here. We tend to discuss, and when we've said all we have to say we start talking about other stuff. Or about nothing at all (although that's mostly Burrito Palazzo, to be honest...). But that certainly doesn't mean we've said all there is to say. Jump in and give us your two cents more often.

Oh, and get me a sandwich, nOOb... Oh wait, Tante said not to do that. So, I guess you can get me a beer instead.... :smile2:

I agree with Goose. I am a newbie and sometimes can't figure out what is going on in some of the threads. I don't get any of the inside jokes. I made it a point to watch both the men and the women's games this year so I could participate. However, by the time I would get here, I didn't know what was being discussed any more.

My 2 cents.

What's funny is you jumped in right when this thread was about to go off topic and full of inside jokes. It'll be at least another half page till that happens now.

You did get the Nate hate jokes right? Right? I put a lot of effort into hating him, and I would really feel bad if that didn't come through...

Buffgirl just so you know, it is impossible for Darth Snow to hate Nate since they look identical. It is like hating yourself.

To what tante is saying, there's a reason so many of our new members lurked for months before joining. You do need to get a feel for this place. It's always a balancing act to make sure AB doesn't get too Lord of the Flies ish.

For sure. Look what happened to 'tini. He jumped in with both feet right away, and now he's scarred for life.

On a lighter note ...... I'm out of town for a day and an apparent bomb goes off in AllBuffs. wtf.

Excellent thread goose, I am a prime example of sombody who gets sick of a lot of the BS that goes on here, I have been a member for nearly 5 years and always see myself coming back less and less as the season (fball or bball) goes on b/c of the sky is fallng or irrational hype that goes on. I get that we are all fans or we wouldn't spend our time on here but i get why people are a) intimidated to join/post and b) get turned off by the shenanigans, thread jacks and inside jokes.

People do come here for actual insight, read goose's breakdown on class balance, or any of the multipe posts where Buffnik drops some knowledge on the intricacies of the RPI, schedulng or recruiting.

I have mixed emotions about all of this.

On one hand, I agree with Goose that emotion-driven outbursts lacking substance are annoying, and I apologize where I've contributed. Reading Sacky's 2008 Price of Oil thread (recently ressurected) makes me wonder if the dialogue hasn't slipped a bit around here, over the years.

On the other hand, I think there's a real danger in making Allbuffs too welcoming. To whom are we pandering here, exactly? N00bs? **** them. Seriously, if they can't step into a lightly hostile environment and hang they can go graze at Buffalo Mamby-Pamby land, but they don't belong here. Got yer feelings hurt, buckaroo? Well go **** yourself.

When I joined the Allbuffs community, not so long ago, I found myself attracted to the inside jokes. Whom are hoping to accommodate by limiting them? People too lazy to read the BDC/Longmont times and too cheap to pony up for Rivals/Buffscoop?

In summary: Allbuffs is a good place with mostly good people. But "**** you" is only funny when 96 says it and "**** you Meg" is never funny. "Twatwaffle" was once funny but isn't any longer. "Fishhead" is always funny.

Don't go changin'.

Welcome! Please forgive our tendency to wander off topic. It doesn't mean we don't still want to hear your thoughts when you get here. We tend to discuss, and when we've said all we have to say we start talking about other stuff. Or about nothing at all (although that's mostly Burrito Palazzo, to be honest...). But that certainly doesn't mean we've said all there is to say. Jump in and give us your two cents more often.

Oh, and get me a sandwich, nOOb... Oh wait, Tante said not to do that. So, I guess you can get me a beer instead.... :smile2:
n00b. Zeros. Not O's.

Maybe there's a happy medium?

Wally touches on something I've seen mentioned here before. This is an outlet for fans, so sensorship is kinda taboo. The folks on this board are fans, and these fans have a voice. Sometimes we don't want to hear what they have to say, but ......

This thread alludes to the "ban hammer". While that may be a bit drastic, the threat may be a viable tool (at least for some).

Maybe we need a "ban warning"? Something that says we're gonna snip your access for an hour or two based on "x" criteria? Kinda like the mute in chat. I think our mods could handle that one.

I have mixed emotions about all of this.

On one hand, I agree with Goose that emotion-driven outbursts lacking substance are annoying, and I apologize where I've contributed. Reading Sacky's 2008 Price of Oil thread (recently ressurected) makes me wonder if the dialogue hasn't slipped a bit around here, over the years.

On the other hand, I think there's a real danger in making Allbuffs too welcoming. To whom are we pandering here, exactly? N00bs? **** them. Seriously, if they can't step into a lightly hostile environment and hang they can go graze at Buffalo Mamby-Pamby land, but they don't belong here. Got yer feelings hurt, buckaroo? Well go **** yourself.

When I joined the Allbuffs community, not so long ago, I found myself attracted to the inside jokes. Whom are hoping to accommodate by limiting them? People too lazy to read the BDC/Longmont times and too cheap to pony up for Rivals/Buffscoop?

In summary: Allbuffs is a good place with mostly good people. But "**** you" is only funny when 96 says it and "**** you Meg" is never funny. "Twatwaffle" was once funny but isn't any longer. "Fishhead" is always funny.

Don't go changin'.

No one is arguing that all inside jokes, emotional outburst, and threadjacks need be eliminated - but I think we need to find a better balance.

Maybe there's a happy medium?

Wally touches on something I've seen mentioned here before. This is an outlet for fans, so sensorship is kinda taboo. The folks on this board are fans, and these fans have a voice. Sometimes we don't want to hear what they have to say, but ......

This thread alludes to the "ban hammer". While that may be a bit drastic, the threat may be a viable tool (at least for some).

Maybe we need a "ban warning"? Something that says we're gonna snip your access for an hour or two based on "x" criteria? Kinda like the mute in chat. I think our mods could handle that one.

Banning isn't something we really do around here. I would say we ban 3 or less people a YEAR - which is remarkable on a board our size. We have a whole warning and infraction system in place - but it tends to just fan the flames of whatever that user is doing, rather than calming them down and teaching them a lesson.

Really, what I would like to see is our regular and long-time users do a better job of self-policing.

I believe he thinks you are less than burrito but he didn't show his work so I'm going to withhold my opinion until then.

I got that part. The older/wiser part seemed like a bit of a non-sequiter; I was just trying to understand where he was going.

You guys managed to demonstrate what's wrong with this board within the same thread that it's pointed out. Well done.

You guys managed to demonstrate what's wrong with this board within the same thread that it's pointed out. Well done.

Just as you managed to demonstrate what's becoming wrong with it, in my opinion.

Banning a poster doesn't necessarily have to be a permanent ban. A week or a month ban would probably suffice.

Just as you managed to demonstrate what's becoming wrong with it, in my opinion.

AIM provides a chatroom feature, if you're into that. If you only want to talk to a handful of people you already know from a bar, you could probably do that, and you'd never have to deal with the inconvenience of a message board.

Back