1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My form letter from DiStefano

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by dio, Dec 1, 2009.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

For reference, here is my original letter

This was from a while ago... I was kind of pissed off that day :lol:

ThndringHerd likes this.
  2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Two interesting things:

1. Your letter (lol), and

2. His comment, 'regarding CU Athletic Director Mike Bohn’s decision'. (was it really?)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

A question occured to me last night. With all the emphasis they're placing on Hawkins' "success" at recruiting kids who stay out of trouble and get good grades, etc., who has similar responsibilities for the student body at large? If a non-athlete gets into trouble on campus or flunks out, does it show up on somebody's performance evaluation at the end of the year? The Chancellor of the Boulder campus, perhaps??

Or is this whole emphasis something that's only being applied to the football program, out of some misplaced fear that they are somehow more likely to create trouble than the student body at large??

4. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

On the first point, I'm not sure, probably Mick Ronson or some of the others can best address that.

On the 2nd, the NCAA has the obligation to "further the academic mission" of its members as part of their non-profit status that the US Government granted to them, so there has to be minimum standards that the athletic departments must maintain. If this isn't done, then they will not be exempt from anti-trust provisions.

5. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Oh, I understand that when it comes to the second part. There are a lot of reasons for the NCAA and the schools to have academic standards. Without them, college football basically becomes semi-pro football that doesn't have to pay the players.

But the current CU administration seems to have taken a unique view that somehow accomplishing that mission at what seems to be a fairly average level is somehow cause for the head coach to keep his job. My question is, is there an administrator somewhere on campus who is being evaluated on whether or not non-athletes can maintain a 2.6 GPA and avoid arrest for the most part?? Or in the University community at large is that behavior expected to be the responsibility of the student and not something that any administrator should be held responsible for or rewarded for if it occurs?

It just seems to me that the administration is making a fairly big deal out of the football coach being able to make the football team maintain standards other students are pretty much expected to meet on their own, and I'm wondering why that is... :huh:

6. dio

There is def. someone who is reviewing grades and behavior of normal students. But I don't know if they're held accountable for those results. I think they just issue suspensions/expulsions/probations

7. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I would think the emphasis on the football team being "good citizens" should be fairly obvious.

Of course, this should be the expectation of being the HC, not a feather to stick in his cap. Benson seems to have the clearest concern with avoiding more scandals even if it means the performance suffers, so I think this one is on him. DiStefano seems content with just improvement in GPA's etc, not that the level is some kind of awe-inspiring GPA, just that it is improving.

As for other students, if they are paying their own way then I think they have to follow whatever University standards are in place. If they are on scholarship, grants, etc there most certainly are academic conditions that have to be met. All of these things are monitored by the university. Not sure if any of them involve personal issues like getting into a fight, I would doubt it though, except for housing assistance.

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

If your on a first name basis with the Chancellor why the hell didn't you just call him up? :lol:

9. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I understand the motivation to vent, but Phil Di Stefano is not even seeing these letters.

10. dio

I realize Phil isn't reading these... but I sent it last Wednesday when I was mad :lol:

11. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Come on, Dio. I don't care if you are a critic or a supporter. Let's unite in support of DiStephano's wise judgement.

12. dio

You're right - Let me get my shovel and my checkbook. I will call Bohn right now to see where I can help!

13. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

I looooooove this part of the letter:

...Mike Bohn’s decision to honor the contract of CU head coach Dan Hawkins...

That reads like this decision was some sort of honorable move that we should all applaud because it makes the school look altruistic and pure. Gag.

14. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I think the reply letter from DiStefano should be sent to Bohn asking Bohn to comment on "his decision" to retain Hawkins, since Bohn avoided answering this line of questioning from Alfred on 104.3 today.

15. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

Everybody is running for cover on who made the decision on Talkins.. :lol:

16. Nor Cal Buff

Nor Cal Buff Well-Known Member

I got the exact same response. My response to the response: