What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My hopes for ACC tournament

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
As a lifelong Big East fan, I'm really hoping for a Pitt-Syracuse final.

Big East was always >>>>> than ACC and this would just be further proof.

Nothing will ever match what the ACC was in the 9 team round-robin days.

In the beginning there was:

Syracuse
Georgetown
UConn
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall
Boston College

All but BC made trips to the Final Four during the original Big East era. I'll take that Big East 8 over your ACC 9.

Later members like Pitt, West Virginia, Marquette, Louisville, Cincinnati and Notre Dame have also all been regular tourney teams that delivered more Final Fours and National Titles.

Depth that made it impossible for a program or two to dominate the conference every year is what separated the Big East. Just about every game was a war.

As a lifelong Big East fan, I'm really hoping for a Pitt-Syracuse final.

Big East was always >>>>> than ACC and this would just be further proof.

Speaking of the Big East, have you seen the promos for the 30 on 30 on the BE on Sunday? Should be a damn good one.

In the beginning there was:

Syracuse
Georgetown
UConn
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall
Boston College

All but BC made trips to the Final Four during the original Big East era. I'll take that Big East 8 over your ACC 9.

Later members like Pitt, West Virginia, Marquette, Louisville, Cincinnati and Notre Dame have also all been regular tourney teams that delivered more Final Fours and National Titles.

Depth that made it impossible for a program or two to dominate the conference every year is what separated the Big East. Just about every game was a war.

Duke, North Carolina, Maryland, NC State all with national titles.

Virginia and Georgia Tech with multiple Final Fours.

And then you take into account Wake Forest's teams with the likes of Tim Duncan (4 straight years of Elite 8 and Sweet 16) FSU with Sam Cassell & Co. (Elite 8). Even Clemson managed two Sweet 16's in the 90's and had some very good teams.

It was depth and cannibalization at a level that's hard to fathom.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Big East, have you seen the promos for the 30 on 30 on the BE on Sunday? Should be a damn good one.

I'm so fired up for that. Nothing better to watch after the selection show, imho.

That 1985 Big East was the best any conference will ever be. 3 teams in the Final Four (Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova) and it was only a 2-pt loss in the Regional Final from Boston College making it a Big East sweep. And I'm not sure that Syracuse wasn't the 3rd best team in the conference that year behind Georgetown and St. John's. But Nova won the national title. Ridiculous.

btw, folks... the fact that the Big East and ACC were so amazing during this era that you can look at either of these conference's resumes and debate that the one you like was better... that's why there is so much east coast bias in college basketball. Everyone over 40 (most of the key media people) got used to the NCAA tournament being the Big East-ACC Invitational with only about a half dozen other teams each year that mattered.

You think the Big East had a prolonged run like the ACC had? I'll give you 1985, great year btw!

Yes. Because then you had Pitino leading Providence to a Final Four, PJ Carlesimo taking Seton Hall there (screwed in final), UConn becoming an elite program, etc. It's different because Georgetown and St. John's didn't go on sustained runs from that time like UNC and Duke have. Nova's had down years, too. Syracuse was the closest under Boeheim or maybe UConn under Calhoun. The Big East has been a lot more in flux at the top, especially with the changes in membership which brought both good (Marquette, Pitt, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, Notre Dame) and bad (Rutgers, DePaul, South Florida, Miami).

While the new Big East will never be what it was, I think that going forward it's going to be a much more stable league that will always deliver some teams that could win it all. Being the Catholic non-football league should be good for the long-run.

I'm also on board with wanting to see a Pitt-Syracuse final. I was listening to local radio the other morning and they were urging all the fans of the NC schools to band together and root against Syracuse and Pitt because they're the new guys and shouldn't be allowed to come in and take over their conference. Get over yourselves. Then maybe the Carolina baby blue mafia shouldn't have invited these teams into their conference in the first place.

I also find it humorous that they are looking to play the 2017 and 2018 ACC tournaments at Barclays:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...20140314/acc-tournament-barclays-center-2017/

I'm also on board with wanting to see a Pitt-Syracuse final. I was listening to local radio the other morning and they were urging all the fans of the NC schools to band together and root against Syracuse and Pitt because they're the new guys and shouldn't be allowed to come in and take over their conference. Get over yourselves. Then maybe the Carolina baby blue mafia shouldn't have invited these teams into their conference in the first place.

I also find it humorous that they are looking to play the 2017 and 2018 ACC tournaments at Barclays:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...20140314/acc-tournament-barclays-center-2017/
When they announced it was coming to DC last year, MD fans raised hell.

Nik's wish didn't happen. I hope UVA wins, but both programs should be in good positions regardless of the outcome. It would mean more for UVA though since it's their first ACC Tourney title in nearly 40 years.

This is gonna go down the wire it looks like, Jabari is waking up. UVA's D is really good, their whole team for that matter.

Here in Virginia, both UNC and Duke are hated but Duke is hated the most. I can see where in NC with all the Heel fans (and so few Duke fans in comparison) leads to even more Heel hatred.

It just pisses me off how all the casual, generic fans latch onto UNC and seem to alienate the other 3 big in-state schools. It's amazing how little coverage and attention Wake gets around here and they're the closest BCS school to this area.

It just pisses me off how all the casual, generic fans latch onto UNC and seem to alienate the other 3 big in-state schools. It's amazing how little coverage and attention Wake gets around here and they're the closest BCS school to this area.

Part of the issue is Wake being so tiny. It's the same size as University of Richmond, add in so many kids coming from out of state and the support just isn't there.

Back