What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My Ideal situation...

Dark Bohner

Cooler than a Popsicle Stand.
Club Member
Is Tyler Hansen taking a strangle hold on the starting qb position in the spring.

First and foremost, I am a huge Cody Hawkins fan. I have been a staunch defender of him since day one. However, I do understand that Tyler Hansen has far more upside potential and would really give the offense a chance to blossom. Plus if this were to happen, Colorado would go from having the most uncertain qb situation in the conference to having the deepest. Talk about a security blanket of having a backup that can come in and win games if the starter goes down.

That is my rambling input for the day.

Me too. I think the offense we struggled to run this year would be a lot better with him at the helm. I'm also going out on a limb here, but I think a healthy Scott next year could be a Jonathan Stewart type of big fast back running all over the place out of the spread. I'm curious as to how the coaches are going to get all of our RBs involved next year. Honestly at the very least Scott, Stewart, Sumler, Lockridge and probably Polk all need to get the ball in their hands a number of times every game, I just don't see how all of them get a good number of touches at RB. Polk to WR maybe?

Polk to WR maybe?

I think it's a little bit early to be setting the RB depth chart. Who's to say that Polk won't be the starting back? Did you think preseason that Stewart was going to end up being the featured back this year? Did you even think he'd get many if any touches? That being said, there isn't much of a reason that you wouldn't see 3 backs getting touches in a game, and I think the only time you would see a RB lined up at WR is in a 5 wide formation.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but are u just going to dismiss Sumler and Lockridge? Sumler started to play pretty well towards the end of the year and Lockridge was quite the pre-Speedy. I've just seen people mention that Polk would make a good WR so I threw that in there, I'm just trying to think of ways to get the most talent on the field as possible.

I like Sumler. I say keep him involved in our running game as a short yardage guy. I think we should stick with the rotation of Scott, Stewart, and Polk.

The only weakness in Polks game imo is his receiving. He had his share of troubles during the fall camp.

I think Lock is just the odd man out. It sucks because he's a great talent. I think we should get him on the field somehow. Maybe at WR.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but are u just going to dismiss Sumler and Lockridge? Sumler started to play pretty well towards the end of the year and Lockridge was quite the pre-Speedy. I've just seen people mention that Polk would make a good WR so I threw that in there, I'm just trying to think of ways to get the most talent on the field as possible.

I'm not dismissing anyone. It's wide open as far as I'm concerned. Anyone of those guys could be the starting back when we step onto the field to play the Sheep. Yes there will be a couple of those guys who probably hardly step onto the field, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a three back rotation.

I think it was best said by buffaholic.....

If I were them, I'd be happy proving myself, getting better, getting ready for THE LEAGUE. No reason to carry it 30 times per game in college.... Split the duty!!!!

Considering the 14 offensive linemen, numerous tight ends, backs and a couple of fullbacks, the Buffs should be going to a run based offense with a play action passing game that has a mobile quarterback who can throw all over the field. The hybrid shotgun pansy passing offense we saw this year without the proper personnel in the passing part of it was plain stupid.

And to those who say, "you're not a coach, the coaches know what they are doing because they are coaches." I say bull****. Not everyone is good at the job they happen to get. No one would ever get fired from any job if everyone was good at what they were doing. You don't have to be a painter to know a bad paint job when you see one. Same goes for coaching or any job.

Considering the 14 offensive linemen, numerous tight ends, backs and a couple of fullbacks, the Buffs should be going to a run based offense with a play action passing game that has a mobile quarterback who can throw all over the field. The hybrid shotgun pansy passing offense we saw this year without the proper personnel in the passing part of it was plain stupid.

:yeahthat:

I totally agree. It's time to impose our running game on the rest of the Big 12. There's nothing wrong with having a mobile quarterback running a pro-set power I formation offense. A few designed QB runs will keep the defense from keying on the RB's. But we have the personnel to run the ball effectively, we need to do it.

With the Big XII schools defenses being in question, why not run the ball on them? We would then control the clock and keep their passing offenses off of the field. It deffinately could work. Besides I enjoy watching the running game a whole lot more.

I'm not dismissing anyone. It's wide open as far as I'm concerned. Anyone of those guys could be the starting back when we step onto the field to play the Sheep. Yes there will be a couple of those guys who probably hardly step onto the field, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a three back rotation.

Oh yeah for sure I'm not saying the coaches should be setting the depth hart right now or something. I was just thinking out loud of what the coaches might do with some of these guys. Apparently Polk's one weakness was receiving? Well that doesn't sound like a very good receiver to me :(. Lockridge impressed me last year, in fact Speedy reminds me of him in a lot of ways. His size doesn't seem to make him a legitimate candidate for a move to WR though.

Also I think any fan of Colorado football of the past 10-15 years would agree that the heart and soul of the good teams we've had were solid power running teams. Naturally I think we should stick with that, but at this point I wouldn't be upset with anything the coaches put on the field that scores points.

Allright!! A real football thread discussing actual football topics. Notice how those threads are a majority of the time Ladyblaise free.

I'm with all of you. Running the ball is going to have to be our strength. The offense we ran didn't work because we had no real threats at WR and the QB wasn't a threat to run the ball. When we inserted Hansen, the QB run opened things up, until they realized he couldn't deal with the pass rush when he was throwing it, and they adjusted once again to our one-dimension. Of course, the O-line was a big problem.... But even then, I don't think the spread works unless the QB is athletic AND you can line up 4 WR's who can run after the catch AND block as well.

I'd like to see something more like the West Coast we ran before. We were effective running the ball and the play options worked as well. Tight ends in the seam and QB's rolling out on boots with the option to hit receivers coming across the middle not only worked pretty well, but we seem to have the right personnel to run it.

Lastly, Lockridge will be some sort of WR. Polk won't. Summler, Scott, Stewart and Polk is a lineup that demand we run the ball 60% or more. Keep them fresh and keep them healthy.

Lastly, we need Solder to gain 40 pounds. I have heard how he will be a NFL player someday. Every game I watched he was being pushed around like a rag doll. He's 6'9" and (listed as) 290 lbs. He needs to be 340 pounds to be good.

I'm with all of you. Running the ball is going to have to be our strength. The offense we ran didn't work because we had no real threats at WR and the QB wasn't a threat to run the ball. When we inserted Hansen, the QB run opened things up, until they realized he couldn't deal with the pass rush when he was throwing it, and they adjusted once again to our one-dimension. Of course, the O-line was a big problem.... But even then, I don't think the spread works unless the QB is athletic AND you can line up 4 WR's who can run after the catch AND block as well.

I'd like to see something more like the West Coast we ran before. We were effective running the ball and the play options worked as well. Tight ends in the seam and QB's rolling out on boots with the option to hit receivers coming across the middle not only worked pretty well, but we seem to have the right personnel to run it.

Lastly, Lockridge will be some sort of WR. Polk won't. Summler, Scott, Stewart and Polk is a lineup that demand we run the ball 60% or more. Keep them fresh and keep them healthy.

Lastly, we need Solder to gain 40 pounds. I have heard how he will be a NFL player someday. Every game I watched he was being pushed around like a rag doll. He's 6'9" and (listed as) 290 lbs. He needs to be 340 pounds to be good.

Just say no to the WCO....

Too complicated for the college game, even Shanny says pro Qb's don't really get it until their third year in the system. Collgfe QB's don't have htat kind of time. It killed NU and even teams that run a variation of it with success are those who have monumental talent advantages, i.e. U$C....

And to those who say, "you're not a coach, the coaches know what they are doing because they are coaches." I say bull****. Not everyone is good at the job they happen to get. No one would ever get fired from any job if everyone was good at what they were doing. You don't have to be a painter to know a bad paint job when you see one. Same goes for coaching or any job.

We have Bren advocating this for years. I don't think you will see it with the current coaching staff though.

To me the answer lies in the coaches and they're approach to implement the playbook. If they want to really expand the play book this year and base the starting QB on who knows the playbook best, Cody will be the starter and we'll see more running out of the gun. No way will Hansen out playbook Cody. The deck so to speak, is stacked against Hansen.

If they think the way to expand the playbook is by staffing positions based on ability to best run the plays to set up the next play, then Hansen not only has a shot but should win out.

Everything I've seen from this staff screams for a QB that can effectively run out of some of those formations and is tall enough to utilize the middle.

A lot of it is on Hansen but he could be fighting a battle he can't win this year.

To me the answer lies in the coaches and they're approach to implement the playbook. If they want to really expand the play book this year and base the starting QB on who knows the playbook best, Cody will be the starter and we'll see more running out of the gun. No way will Hansen out playbook Cody. The deck so to speak, is stacked against Hansen.

If they think the way to expand the playbook is by staffing positions based on ability to best run the plays to set up the next play, then Hansen not only has a shot but should win out.

Everything I've seen from this staff screams for a QB that can effectively run out of some of those formations and is tall enough to utilize the middle.

A lot of it is on Hansen but he could be fighting a battle he can't win this year.

If CU is going to stay with the shotgun hybrid dipsy doodle spread, it will only work with any consistency if you have a Qb who will, and more importantly can, pull the ball on the shotgun draw and go around the weak side. This keeps the backside DE home and not crashing down the backside of the LOS to tackle the RB in the backfield. You have to have the ability to stretch the field horizontally and vertically which requires a strong armed quarterback who can hit passes all over the field INCLUDING THE MID TO DEEP THIRD OF THE FIELD. Finally, WR's who can block and break a tackle or two for YAC. Without that, CU will still be at or near the bottom of the Big 12 in offense.

So, Hansen is the better choice at QB and he must get reps this spring and fall camp. WR help must come in the form of Josh Smith improvement, Simas getting his grades in order, and althoug it is a long shot, Simmons from JUCO. An improved OL will help too.

If CU is wed to Cody, they need to go power I with a play action attack because CH simply lacks the physical tools to run the spread effectively. He would be adequate at a power running attack with play action. JMO.

Last edited:
They could abandon the spread completely, run a power I formation running attack and Hansen would remain the best option at QB. Mobile is better than immobile. Strong arm is better than not strong arm. He just needs some time with the first team to get his timing and accuracy down, and he'll be terrific. Cody makes a wonderful backup.

What we really need is a QB who can make all the throws, a cannon for a right arm, but with soft touch and pinpoint accuracy, and who can also beat a defense with his feet, and he has to make good decisions as well. The type who can manage the offense and stay cool under pressure. He should have good "pocket presence", the kind of guy who will stand his ground and deliver a strike to a slanting receiver in the face of a blitzing middle linebacker. Oh but he should also be slippery and elusive as well.

Then we need an offensive line that amounts to 5 road-graders in the running game, yet nimble on their feet with sound technique to be effective pass blockers. They should communicate well and form a special bond and be inseparable both on and off the field.

Our running back should be lightning quick, with good break away speed. He should leave opposing DB's in his rearview mirror, yet have tremendous power to bowl over linebackers and pick up those tough 3rd-and-short yards. I'm thinking a hybrid of Reggie Bush and Christian Okoye should do the trick....

Finally, our receivers should be both big and fast, with super glue hands. Excellent route-runners who can shed tacklers and pile up the YAC numbers. Oh and they also have to be "team-first" guys, willing to block on running plays, etc. An entire cadre of Michael Crabtrees.

There, now that I've spelled it all out for the coaches they should have no problem. Yeahhhhh......we're gonna be saaweeeeet!! :thumbsup:

They could abandon the spread completely, run a power I formation running attack and Hansen would remain the best option at QB. Mobile is better than immobile. Strong arm is better than not strong arm. He just needs some time with the first team to get his timing and accuracy down, and he'll be terrific. Cody makes a wonderful backup.

Note my use of the word "adequate" re: CH. He has a marvelous grasp of the game, and a pretty accurate arm. He just isn't the type of QB who will burn a D with any sort of frequency that will make a difference... I can only imagine how difficult that makes things for the staff, but it is what it is.

So then we have four offensive schemes in four years? That makes little sense to me and I don't see the current coaching staff doing that. If they do, then I would become very concerned about their ability to make a coaching decision and stick with it.

As far as ideal situations next year. I don't really care who gets the starting positions anyways but I'd like somebody to step up at each position and prove that he's the man without question, week in and week out.

I think the key next year is getting a big time WR threat to step up. Not just a speedster deep threat but a catch the ball over the middle and run over/around the db kind of threat.

So then we have four offensive schemes in four years? That makes little sense to me and I don't see the current coaching staff doing that. If they do, then I would become very concerned about their ability to make a coaching decision and stick with it.

As far as ideal situations next year. I don't really care who gets the starting positions anyways but I'd like somebody to step up at each position and prove that he's the man without question, week in and week out.

I think the key next year is getting a big time WR threat to step up. Not just a speedster deep threat but a catch the ball over the middle and run over/around the db kind of threat.

I guess my point is that it wouldn't matter what offense they run, Hansen would be the better choice to run it. He has better physical skills.

I guess my point is that it wouldn't matter what offense they run, Hansen would be the better choice to run it. He has better physical skills.

That settles that argument. Signed Joe Montana and Dante Culpepper.

It was clear to me this year - Hansen is a much better fit for this offense... obviously as a true-freshman he wasn't adjusted to the playbook or the D1 speed... but I think he is ready to go come camp.

Back