What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My signing day take aways

I don't think we've given up. I think the issues are, one, we suck and,meow, we don't play in Texas anymore.
The rise of Baylor and TCU have certainly made it harder to get tier-one athletes. But I still think there is more than enough talent to go around in TX, and CU is missing out. For example, UofH's starting running back, Kenneth Farrow, was a beast this year and he was a CU commit until Embree pulled his scholly late in the 2011 cycle.

The rise of Baylor and TCU have certainly made it harder to get tier-one athletes. But I still think there is more than enough talent to go around in TX, and CU is missing out. For example, UofH's starting running back, Kenneth Farrow, was a beast this year and he was a CU commit until Embree pulled his scholly late in the 2011 cycle.

Florida ant Texas have similar population sizes but Florida has half the D1 programs of Texas which has about 12 programs if you include OU and OSU. That soaks up a lot of talent. Im sure we can win some of the players but those kids just have a lot more options. For a state we dont play in I think we should schedule some games.

The other item that helped Herman is/was the current state of the Longhorns. Herman came in right when Texas stopped being cool.
Not really. In the state of Texas, UT and Austin will always be cool. UofH may benefit from UT being down in the future, but the team that Hermann inherited was not full of UT-caliber recruits. UofH relies on 2-3 star Texas kids, with a 4-star athlete here and there.

Florida ant Texas have similar population sizes but Florida has half the D1 programs of Texas which has about 12 programs if you include OU and OSU. That soaks up a lot of talent. Im sure we can win some of the players but those kids just have a lot more options. For a state we dont play in I think we should schedule some games.
I have always thought that CU should put more of an emphasis in Florida, I love what Leavitt is doing. Wisconsin, Oregon State, West Virginia, even CSU all recruit FL pretty heavily. We should too.

We have scheduled games in Texas.

I think playing a game or two in Texas will help. Winning will help more.

Maybe CU could adopt a coaching hiring practice that offers assistant coaching positions to the the best and brightest HS coaches that are most active in recruiting hotbeds.

In addition to creating a Sports Governance institute, also get on the cutting edge and offer undergrad and graduate degrees in 1) coaching athletics, 2) sports marketing.

We have scheduled games in Texas.

Yikes. 2020 is a long, long time into the future unless your talking about that Texas State (FCS) game in 2017. Thats not going to be on TV in Texas. So Id guess you can sell the 18' and higher recruits on playing a game near home.

Yikes. 2020 is a long, long time into the future unless your talking about that Texas State (FCS) game in 2017. Thats not going to be on TV in Texas. So Id guess you can sell the 18' and higher recruits on playing a game near home.

A 2017 recruit would be playing there as a SR or RS-JR.

Last edited:
Yikes.

Biggest take away is a change in attitude.

We still took some kids who our conference mates would have asked to walk on, mostly kids who we took fairly early in the process.

Difference is thought that we for the first time since M2 got here we started competing for kids that our opponents and other P5 schools wanted. We have a significant number of kids signed who had offers from multiple P5 schools including schools other than Wazzou and Utah. schools that are winners. We lost more of those battles but at least we were on the field, not just giving up before things even started like we have been.

We started acting like a big time school. We used twitter and facebook, we let people know that we were present and showed the jet used to get there.

Others have talked about the Houston situation with the coaching connections Boracho also touched on a bigger issue. Texas is in a bit of turmoil right now with some real question about how long their coach will be there. aTm lost 5 of their last 8 and have lost some of the luster they had with Johnnie Football. A lot of Texas kids like to stay home and Houston took advantage of a tough year for the two heavy hitters. Fair to expect that eventually that balance will swing back.

Biggest take away is a change in attitude.

We still took some kids who our conference mates would have asked to walk on, mostly kids who we took fairly early in the process.

Difference is thought that we for the first time since M2 got here we started competing for kids that our opponents and other P5 schools wanted. We have a significant number of kids signed who had offers from multiple P5 schools including schools other than Wazzou and Utah. schools that are winners. We lost more of those battles but at least we were on the field, not just giving up before things even started like we have been.

We started acting like a big time school. We used twitter and facebook, we let people know that we were present and showed the jet used to get there.

Others have talked about the Houston situation with the coaching connections Boracho also touched on a bigger issue. Texas is in a bit of turmoil right now with some real question about how long their coach will be there. aTm lost 5 of their last 8 and have lost some of the luster they had with Johnnie Football. A lot of Texas kids like to stay home and Houston took advantage of a tough year for the two heavy hitters. Fair to expect that eventually that balance will swing back.
Texas may be is some "turmoil" but they still had the #13 recruiting class this cycle. A&M was #16, Baylor was #17, TCU was #21, and Houston and TTU were 44 & 45, respectively (Rivals rankings). Not sure if I would relegate UT and A&M to turmoil or lost luster status in the recruiting game.

Texas may be is some "turmoil" but they still had the #13 recruiting class this cycle. A&M was #16, Baylor was #17, TCU was #21, and Houston and TTU were 44 & 45, respectively (Rivals rankings). Not sure if I would relegate UT and A&M to turmoil or lost luster status in the recruiting game.

The Longhorns and A&M to a lesser degree have had some high profile departures and have some widely reported turmoil. More so in the Texas local media then nationally. Additionally, both programs have underperformed their recruiting. Neither is running like a well oiled machine. There are some Texas kids who will pause and consider other options because of that.

Back