What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My thoughts

amazing how bad our OL look when you see osu had 2 freshmen and 1 red shirt playing OL ? san diego st. put more pressure on the QB. osu has a crappy defense and we could not run or throw?? amazing

amazing how bad our OL look when you see osu had 2 freshmen and 1 red shirt playing OL ? san diego st. put more pressure on the QB. osu has a crappy defense and we could not run or throw?? amazing
That is what got me. Not the loss, I expected it. I saw OSU as a team the Buffs could at least look competitive against. They got their ass kicked in every phase of the game. Adkins was a bright spot though.

Hey, at least he didn't start this post with "Ummm..." Progress.

really hard to be positive. we had a couple of games where the Buffs looked decent. Made a couple of BIG plays to either get or keep some momentum. Now we are back to BUFF football. Calls against us, turnovers that we do nothing with, our turnovers are huge for the opponent. Like i said, really hard to stay positive.

really hard to be positive. we had a couple of games where the Buffs looked decent. Made a couple of BIG plays to either get or keep some momentum. Now we are back to BUFF football. Calls against us, turnovers that we do nothing with, our turnovers are huge for the opponent. Like i said, really hard to stay positive.

You've been struggling to stay positive??? Hadn't noticed...

Sometimes I wish I could see the world through 'Tini's eyes.

Well let's see...

-It's never happened in our 100+ year history
-Not even Embree managed to go 0-9 in conference
-We get Arizona, USC, and Cal at home. Cal on a neutral field is marginally better according to the updated Sagarin rankings (84 vs. 87) but home field tips that in our favor
-We will continue to improve, as will others
-Road vs home games
-Duff says it's really hard to go 0-9 so yup

Well let's see...

-It's never happened in our 100+ year history
-Not even Embree managed to go 0-9 in conference
-We get Arizona, USC, and Cal at home. Cal on a neutral field is marginally better according to the updated Sagarin rankings (84 vs. 87) but home field tips that in our favor
-We will continue to improve, as will others
-Road vs home games
-Duff says it's really hard to go 0-9 so yup

Duffman says a lot of things.

I certainly don't think it'll happen. But even if all 3 games you mentioned were toss ups, the odds would be 1/8.

No, 0.001% we go 0-9 in conference play. Road games vs. home games -- different ball of wax by a significant margin.

Since you are providing numbers, please provide your calculations on how you got to that result.

Let's just go with this link

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/team/colorado-buffaloes/projections

Does not factor in the make up game and the most likely scenario is 3-8 which means 1-8 in conference play. The actual number I posted is not significant, it's just stating that the probability of losing 9 straight games in conference play is very low.

Statistics aside, I'd like to believe that the Buffs will win a conference game and I realize that some of them are winnable. I think a lot will depend on how the team responds to what is likely to be three blow out losses in a row. Go into the Arizona game completely demoralized and it may not matter what your link says.

Yes, I realize that I am ignoring the possibility of a win on Oct 19th.

While I'm concerned with how bad we looked, I also know that it's difficult this early to judge teams. OSU could in fact be a horrible team. They also could be as good as last year. They were bad early for sure.

We have the talent depth right now of a WAC team. I think HCMM is recruiting somewhere between San Jose State and mid range lower tier PAC12 right now. If we win 3-4 games, he'll have to rely on some no name guys. I'm sure his database is full of those types as they were well into recruiting 2014 kids when they packed and left San Jose.

OSU is better than most posters here think.

OTOH, we definitely make other teams look good.

If Embree could find conference wins including one last year then I think it is highly unlikely that M2 with a much better plan and staff is unable to find at least one.

We are bound to have at least one not so good team look at us based on last year and us getting pounded by the likes of OSU and the Ducks and chalk up a win while forgetting to show up.

The thing is, with the obvious example of $C, everyone in the conference seems to be improving, as well.

While I'm concerned with how bad we looked, I also know that it's difficult this early to judge teams. OSU could in fact be a horrible team. They also could be as good as last year. They were bad early for sure.

We have the talent depth right now of a WAC team. I think HCMM is recruiting somewhere between San Jose State and mid range lower tier PAC12 right now. If we win 3-4 games, he'll have to rely on some no name guys. I'm sure his database is full of those types as they were well into recruiting 2014 kids when they packed and left San Jose.
Holic, I know you know your stuff. You Sir are being kind, saying we are talented and as deep as a WAC team. I really do not see that. Not across the board. I see maybe 5 to 6 players that would start for a WAC team. I also see 2 to 3 WAC teams CU could beat. Our talent level or better yet our players that truly think they can win on any Saturday is truly lacking. Until the mindset of we can lose is replaced by we can beat anybody. We are screwed. HCMM is getting it done. I just hope after this Saturday, the rest of the team is not lost.

Statistics aside, I'd like to believe that the Buffs will win a conference game and I realize that some of them are winnable. I think a lot will depend on how the team responds to what is likely to be three blow out losses in a row. Go into the Arizona game completely demoralized and it may not matter what your link says.

Yes, I realize that I am ignoring the possibility of a win on Oct 19th.

You nailed it. All the winnable games everyone is talking about (and IMO Cal is the only one that is winnable) come AFTER we get cornholed by OR, ASU, UCLA and WA, and almost certainly beaten by AZ. I know from my HS playing days, getting trucked 4-5 in a row makes you doubt what you can do even against beatable teams.

Just because we've never gone winless in conference in our history means nothing. Those players aren't playing, these players are. Only a pure fluke prevented it last year. I just think, aside from an FCS makeup, going winless the rest of the way is very possible. The Pac-12 overall is better this year than last. USC is at the bottom of ESPN rankings, yet has numerous walkons that would start for us.

That said, I completely agree that merely showing progress (like losing 44-17, instead of 69-14) is something to build on and will translate to wins ... in 2014 or 15.

I think it's pretty clear OSU has taken a step backward from last year. They finished with some great defensive stats last year, but had abominable games against lower tier schools to start the year. Maybe you think they fixed it just in time for us?

You nailed it. All the winnable games everyone is talking about (and IMO Cal is the only one that is winnable) come AFTER we get cornholed by OR, ASU, UCLA and WA, and almost certainly beaten by AZ. I know from my HS playing days, getting trucked 4-5 in a row makes you doubt what you can do even against beatable teams.

Just because we've never gone winless in conference in our history means nothing. Those players aren't playing, these players are. Only a pure fluke prevented it last year. I just think, aside from an FCS makeup, going winless the rest of the way is very possible. The Pac-12 overall is better this year than last. USC is at the bottom of ESPN rankings, yet has numerous walkons that would start for us.

That said, I completely agree that merely showing progress (like losing 44-17, instead of 69-14) is something to build on and will translate to wins ... in 2014 or 15.
:congrats:well said.

This team will continue to scrap for any win they can find throughout the season. Even Embree kept resolve in the team after a 1-9 start in '11 and then won a couple, and even last year's abomination showed fight in the Utah game. It's not like Cal will be rolling into Boulder riding a streak of wins that provide confidence.

This team will continue to scrap for any win they can find throughout the season. Even Embree kept resolve in the team after a 1-9 start in '11 and then won a couple, and even last year's abomination showed fight in the Utah game. It's not like Cal will be rolling into Boulder riding a streak of wins that provide confidence.

USC will also be rolling in with few scholarship players (albeit talented) and after playing Stanford and then they play UCLA after us so it's not like we will be the only team dealing with adversity.

This team will find a way to win one or two games in conference play between Cal, USC, Arizona, and Utah. All of those are at games and we all know our home/road splits.

Holic, I know you know your stuff. You Sir are being kind, saying we are talented and as deep as a WAC team. I really do not see that. Not across the board. I see maybe 5 to 6 players that would start for a WAC team. I also see 2 to 3 WAC teams CU could beat. Our talent level or better yet our players that truly think they can win on any Saturday is truly lacking. Until the mindset of we can lose is replaced by we can beat anybody. We are screwed. HCMM is getting it done. I just hope after this Saturday, the rest of the team is not lost.

You went full retard

We also are not even close to the only PAC team that is going to be getting blasted a few times this year. Oregon is as talented as anyone in the country and has the speed to make virtually every play a track meet no matter who they play. They have seen how easy it is to get screwed out of shot at the NC title game so are going to be lighting up the scoreboard not only against us but against everyone they can to try to force the poll voters to give them some votes.

Stanford doesn't rely on speed but has more than they have had in the past. What hasn't changed is Shaw having a bunch of tough guys on the LOS willing to smack people in the mouth as they score, and score, and score some more. Even if they lose to Oregon Stanford believes they belong in a BCS level game and will be trying to make sure everyone knows it.

Washington is busy proving that they aren't the UDub that sucked a few years ago. They also want national rankings and a nice bowl trip. They are going to land on some people as well. ASU is historically up and down but showed this week against USC that they aren't afraid to light up a scoreboard.

It is easy to say, with reason that the Buffs may be down after a stretch of tough conference games where they will be completely outclassed. It is also easy to see that they won't be the only ones in that situation. Some other schools they play are as likely to be shellshocked as the Buffs were last year when the coaching staff had no clue how to overcome the weekly blastings.

M2 took a sad sack program at SJSU that was used to losing. In his first year they got stomped a few times but he has shown that at least in the past he was able to keep a team together and win some games after getting beat up on. We are very likely to get at least one or two teams coming off ugly games themselves and not emotionally in the best of places. Winning in that situation is not unlikely even when the opponent on paper still has somewhat more talent than we do.

USC will also be rolling in with few scholarship players (albeit talented) and after playing Stanford and then they play UCLA after us so it's not like we will be the only team dealing with adversity.

This team will find a way to win one or two games in conference play between Cal, USC, Arizona, and Utah. All of those are at games and we all know our home/road splits.

We'll be dogs in every game the rest of the way. I'm too realistic to assume we'll win at least one, but hope you're right.

If you have coaches like Embree and staff that beat you down and beat you down then yes, you definately have fear in the foxhole. But, I think this staff is about accountabilty and develop a culture that includes keeping things positive and developing learning experiences.

If you have coaches like Embree and staff that beat you down and beat you down then yes, you definately have fear in the foxhole. But, I think this staff is about accountabilty and develop a culture that includes keeping things positive and developing learning experiences.

Different level of competition but this staff faced a similar situation at SJSU. They and the players managed to get through it and overcome. M2 knows what he is doing unlike our last staff, or two.

Back