What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mystery FCS team on 2013 schedule revealed!

Nope not at all. This isn't the 90's. We don't need to pad our schedule with tough OOC games every year. We play nine conference games plus CSU. We need a week or two where we don't play a BCS team. I'm fine with a marque OOC game every few years but we don't need to revert to the 90's scheduling.
I want BCS teams only on the schedule. There are plenty that aren't world beaters without having to play non-AQs or drop down to the FCS.

rutgers, west virginia, syracuse, penn state, pitt, etc. these are all programs i'd like to see us do a series with. i think maybe we'll get penn state as part of the new b10/p12 scheduling thing. i'm hoping we get the fuskers a few times as well as a part of that.

die fusker die!

I want BCS teams only on the schedule. There are plenty that aren't world beaters without having to play non-AQs or drop down to the FCS.
That's not very beneficial. Recruits DO NOT CARE who you play in the OOC. They care about who you are playing in December and January.

Name one AQ team who played every game against a BCS team.

That's not very beneficial. Recruits DO NOT CARE who you play in the OOC. They care about who you are playing in December and January.

Name one AQ team who played every game against a BCS team.
BOOSTERS do! And I don't give a flying **** about any other team's schedule.

BOOSTERS do! And I don't give a flying **** about any other team's schedule.

SuperiorBuff has a point because paying season tickets to watch 3 blow outs in OOC sucks. Season ticket holders are charged the same amount no matter the opponent and with 3 home games against weak competition they are the ones who are screwed. People like me can easily pick up a $10 ticket to the weak OOC games (Like all 3 Ducks OOC games next year) while the season ticket holders pay the full price.

I can see the argument for bcs teams only on the schedule but we are a win starved program starting from the ground up. There is nothing wrong with beating the crap out of a few fcs teams along the way to get things started. 2014 Id like some of the schools mentioned above if we can get them on board.

I'm not ok with the terrible seasons. I am also not ok with beating up the little blind girl down the street to make yourself feel better.

So instead of making the rebuilding process easier by scheduling wins you'd rather make it harder by scheduling tough wins? I'll go with the option that gets us winning the fastest.

UCA was down last year, but Conque is a good coach. UCA will probably be one of the better FCS teams at that point and may even have started a transfer into a Sun Belt type of conference by then. They regularly beat bottom level "D1" (whatever they call the top tier division now days...) schools for recruits. Still shouldn't be even close to an issue if Embree wants to keep his job, but there could have been an easier cream puff out there somewhere...

It's critical to find a team willing to schedule a one-n-done. Somebody please confirm CU doesn't have to schedule a visit Bucksnort Arkansas, or wherever the hell these bumpkins play.

With CU's nine game conference schedule on top of the CupcakeSU game at mile high, it's critical to play two home games in the OOC in the odd years. In order to have the bare minimum sacred six game home schedule the logistics works best by finding schools willing to schedule these one-game stands in Boulder.

So instead of making the rebuilding process easier by scheduling wins you'd rather make it harder by scheduling tough wins? I'll go with the option that gets us winning the fastest.

Here we go again...

The road to victory includes playing sound fundimental football. Having good disciplined players and good coaches is more important than having an easy schedule.

If winning were the most important things, Boise would have more respect. Any Michigan fan can tell you the pitfalls of booking Appalachian State. Most CU fans over the age of 19 remember what happened when CU played Toledo.

Here we go again...

The road to victory includes playing sound fundimental football. Having good disciplined players and good coaches is more important than having an easy schedule.

If winning were the most important things, Boise would have more respect. Any Michigan fan can tell you the pitfalls of booking Appalachian State. Most CU fans over the age of 19 remember what happened when CU played Toledo.

If you suck. Then you suck. Would you rather lose a close game to Toledo or lose by 60 to Ohio State? They both suck equally.

How about we just get a bunch of talent ASAP and hedge our bets to collect the most amount of wins possible?

Seriously? No MWC, Sunbelt, MAC, C-USA? Is there a major school in the US that only plays BCS conferences without exception?

If you suck. Then you suck. Would you rather lose a close game to Toledo or lose by 60 to Ohio State? They both suck equally.

How about we just get a bunch of talent ASAP and hedge our bets to collect the most amount of wins possible?

To answer your question, I'd rather get soundly beaten by OSU and net $1M revenue at 1pm on Saturday and have the opportunity to visit the horseshoe rather than lose to Toledo, get 100K revenue, visit the Glass Bowl, and kickoff at 9PM Friday night.

Chicken and egg. You need to win to get good players. You need good players to win.

Winning a bunch helps attract talent. Going to meaningful bowl games attracts talent. Upsetting ranked teams attracts talent. Keeping ticket holders happy provides money used to build facilities and pay coaches, which attracts talent. Playing on nationally televised games during prime time matters, too.

If CU only scheduled cupcakes during the OOC, our games would be relegated to regional networks, perhaps some outlet like the MTN, with bush league announcers and no HD. Kickoff might be at 11AM or 8PM. Or maybe it's not broadcast at all.

Lets say option 1 is an ABC schedule, where A= Nebraska, B= CSU and C=Central Arkansas.
Option 2 is CBC, where C1=Sacramento State, B=CSU, C2=Central Arkansas.

Which option do you think will sell more tickets and bring in more network revenue?

Folsom can be a pretty dull place when New Mexico State comes to town for a game only broadcast on KOA. It can rock when West Virginia plays a blackout game on ESPN.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your question, I'd rather get soundly beaten by OSU and net $1M revenue at 1pm on Saturday and have the opportunity to visit the horseshoe rather than lose to Toledo, get 100K revenue, visit the Glass Bowl, and kickoff at 9PM Friday night.

Chicken and egg. You need to win to get good players. You need good players to win.

Winning a bunch helps attract talent. Going to meaningful bowl games attracts talent. Upsetting ranked teams attracts talent. Keeping ticket holders happy provides money used to build facilities and pay coaches, which attracts talent. Playing on nationally televised games during prime time matters, too.

If CU only scheduled cupcakes during the OOC, our games would be relegated to regional networks, perhaps some outlet like the MTN, with bush league announcers and no HD. Kickoff might be at 11AM or 8PM. Or maybe it's not broadcast at all.

Lets say option 1 is an ABC schedule, where A= Nebraska, B= CSU and C=Central Arkansas.
Option 2 is CBC, where C1=Sacramento State, B=CSU, C2=Central Arkansas.

Which option do you think will sell more tickets and bring in more network revenue?

Folsom can be a pretty dull place when New Mexico State comes to town for a game only broadcast on KOA. It can rock when West Virginia plays a blackout game on ESPN.

Good points. I'm thinking the CBC route works for the next couple years and then back to ABC by 2014 or 2015. I'd take getting recruits attention by playing in a bowl game with an extra win over an FCS team rather than getting 1 mil and bad exposure by being blown out by Wisconsin next year.

I also think that wins are valued higher than facilities. See: Hurricanes, Miami.

USC and Miami had old facilities that needed a lot of help. You can get around that when you drive past more BCS talent on your way into work than there is in the entire state of Colorado.

Good points. I'm thinking the CBC route works for the next couple years and then back to ABC by 2014 or 2015. I'd take getting recruits attention by playing in a bowl game with an extra win over an FCS team rather than getting 1 mil and bad exposure by being blown out by Wisconsin next year.

2012 and 2013 are pretty much set. We wont be seeing Wisconsin or Alabama or LSU during Embree.2 or Embree.3.

With Larry Scott and Mike Bohn looking at a B1G deal, we might be destined for the A game slot to be filled with a leader or legend.

And with CSU locked up until 2020, we have our B game.

The big variable is game 3. CU would be well served to do whatever they need to do for six home games in Folsom. That means a steady diet of cupcakes who will take CU's money to play one-and-done.

If CU needs CBC scheduling to reach a bowl in Embree year 4, then we have the wrong coach

Good god people don't want to change. We don't need a damn marque game every season when we play in the PAC 12 and play 9 games. A marque game every two or three years is fine but playing mine conference game really changed the dynamic. Easy OOC schedules benefit the program by getting sure wins. When a program is building, once again, recruits do not give a **** whether we play a easy OOC schedule or a tough one. They care about winning and going to bowl games.

Predictable.

Guess what...ABC isn't a 90's schedule.

Rebuilding is what we did in 2011 and what we are doing in 2012 and 2013.

2012 has CSU and Sacramento State and Fresno

2013 has CSU and Fresno and Central Arkansas.

2014 has Hawaii and CSU and an opening.

How much time does CU need to rebuild? How much time do we need to spend on whether it's okay to finally schedule a BCS team 3 years from now?

I'm not sayin no BCS teams and you'd know that if you read my previous posts earlier today because I said we should schedule a team like Rutgers or Virginia or Cuse to get recruiting exposure out east. I am saying we don't need to be scheduling Bama or LSU or another powerhouse yet until we are a threat to win the PAC 12 every year like Oregon.

I'm not sayin no BCS teams and you'd know that if you read my previous posts earlier today because I said we should schedule a team like Rutgers or Virginia or Cuse to get recruiting exposure out east. I am saying we don't need to be scheduling Bama or LSU or another powerhouse yet until we are a threat to win the PAC 12 every year like Oregon.

With Scott and Bohn working the network angle with the B1G, CU may not play Bama or LSU in a generation.

I live in Boise and even I think UCA's turf is ridiculous.

UCAField2.jpg
When we play there, I hope it's not a rainy day. The dirt road leading in to the stadium probably can be a real mess, after 20,000 cars have pushed thru. But, at least they can't stick you in endzone vistor seats.

When we play there, I hope it's not a rainy day. The dirt road leading in to the stadium probably can be a real mess, after 20,000 cars have pushed thru. But, at least they can't stick you in endzone vistor seats.

Did you find something indicating CU has a home and home?

You have to look at the modern realities of scheduling. CU is not in a financial position to offer a one and done contract to a BCS school (see OSU last year). So then you have to get into a home and home situation but the top teams do not want a home and home unless ESPN gets involved and makes it a big Payday game. The top schools get a lot of wins because even if they do play AQ talent they don't go on the road until October. CU last year played OSU for a big payday (13th game) but left CU with only 5 games in Folsom because we signed a home and home with Hawaii.

Even the teams from the MWC or C-USA want a home and home or about $1 Million for a one and done. Texas, OU, Tennessee, Penn State, tOSU, etc can offer big payouts to those teams because they put 100,000 in the stadium every Saturday regardless of who they are playing and they are not offering 4 tixs for $100 either.

This has nothing to do with padding the schedule and everything to do with finances. But I for one think it will work out well for CU, we will get 6 games in Folsom and a more manageable schedule. If things fall right CU should be in a bowl game and that will help recruiting...the staff can certainly point to things turning around.

Boosters? Does cu have any of those?

CU needs WINS, if playing teams like central arkansas helps in that process, i'm fine with it for a couple years.

But please, people who want cu to play 3 top 10 teams to please boosters is hilarious.Yes, let's please them while the "million dollar secret boosters" stay invisible and cu continues losing.

CU has had 6 straight losing seasons, whatever needs to be done to start winning and NOW is fine with me. The "be patient" responses have no merit. 6 years is long enough.

Schedule valor christian .......

Back