1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nation's #1 Recruit: Using his leverage on Clemson

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Robert Nkemdiche of Grayson High School in Loganville, Ga., is the top football recruit in the nation, but he hasn't fully committed to a college just yet because he is trying to get one of his high-school buddies a scholarship, too. Clemson University has already signed on two of Nkemdiche's teammates, but the 6-foot, 5-inch 260-pounder wants 5-foot, 10-inch 175-pound Ryan Carter to get in on the free ride from the Tigers as well. "I am waiting on Clemson to offer Ryan; when that happens, it's locked ... it's a done deal ... it's over," Nkemdiche told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Hey, at least least he isn't looking for a nice car.

http://now.msn.com/now-plus/0706-college-recruit-football.aspx

This will not end well.

2. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

his buddy does have some offers so it is not like they are getting a complete dud:

although it is possible the guy just have offers in order to land the big fish.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/201...-deal-if-they-offer-another-grayson-teammate/

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Imagine what the kid is going to want once he is on campus

4. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Personally, I don't blame him one bit. He has a skill very few, even elite, HS players have that colleges are in demand for. He doesn't get paid while he's on the team and is in all likelihood a 3 year starter barring injury. Jadeveon Clowney at SCar made a major impact this year as the #1 recruit last year (8 QB sacks, 5 FFs) and this guy may be as good.

If you were the #1 guy in your job in the nation you'd probably make a HUGE list of your own demands to a new "employer." Fortunately or unfortunately--depending on which side you are on--this is the only leverage he has. He can't get more vacation time. He can't get more $$$ (let's face it, probably all D1 FBS players get "free" things whether it's a round of shots at a bar or a new car). He can't get ownership or stock options. He can try and get a friend of his who has D1 offers, just not AQ level, one to the place he is willing to attend.

We can say all we want about him not being a team player, but he has yet to sign a LOI and isn't on the team yet. Looks like his buddy can play, maybe not at the ACC-level, so he may just be a bench warmer or ST guys. Clemson doesn't have to sign the guy and if they were to pull their offer that's fine too.

What I want him on the team? ****-yes I would. We haven't had an elite pass rusher since Abe Wright. Would our coaches? I'm just a fan and don't have to deal with internal drama if any exists. I really only see the team for 13x3=39 hours a year give or take some hours. I'd have to defer to them if they'd want him or not. I just want Ws in the W/L column.

5. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Hasn't CU kind of done this? "Come play at CU, we'll take your buddy, too?"

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they did do that before. Hell we took two offensive lineman from the same school this cycle

7. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It´s a bit different when the player tells everyone who wants to hear it that he´s only available in a package deal.

8. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Well the Hawkins were a package deal

9. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I have no problem with it at all. Hell, that's how the Rockets signed the Skywalker.

10. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Same with R2D2, C3PO never would have gotten an offer.

11. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I envision Mr. Carter signing with Clemson and suffering a freak and career-ending injury in fall practice, necessitating a medical hardship scholarship.

12. walk

walk Member

I bet this happens all teh time, just not in the open. Clemson is in a bad spot here b/c if they offer the other kid, it looks like they caved - a message to send.

13. manhattanbuf

manhattanbuf Well-Known Member

Rivals lists him as a 3-star player with some offers -- best offer is from Ole Miss. Clemson isn't listed as an interest on their site. Great story. Alabama fans are salivating to get another crack at signing Nkemdiche.

14. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I guarantee it happens all the time, just not this publicly. Schools know that a certain number of their recruits aren't ever going to contribute on the field. You would like every one of them to but it just doesn't happen that way. The question is are you willing to trade a roster spot for a kid who you don't really want to get a kid who you think could be a difference maker for you.

Most of the time the tag along kid simply occupies a spot on the roster for a couple of years and then they either find some other way to keep him around and he doesn't mind because he isn't playing and isn't going to or the friendship drifts apart and the kid drops out of school or he magically gets a career ending injury.

This case is rare because the tag along kid might actually be able to play some. If he steps up he could at least contribute on special teams or even as a depth guy in the secondary. I guarantee that if Clemson doesn't want the package deal that a lot of other schools would gladly take this deal. If they were in it I would bet CU would be one of them.

15. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

**** that Nmkedeche guy. I wan't Carter.

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This certainly puts Clemson in a really tough spot. I don't think they can offer Carter at this point. They may have prior to this interview, but at this point, they can't look like they're caving. In the end, Carter and Nmkedeche will end up going to different schools, neither of them named "Clemson".

17. MtnBuff

You also have to wonder if Nmkedeche isn't all that sold on Clemson and is looking for a reason to go or not go. I could see a situation where Clemson gives in and offers only to have Nmkedeche back out before he signs.

18. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I don't think Clemson could do something like that. It sends the wrong message. It's fairly well known that this stuff goes on, but it happens behind the scenes, not out in the open. You can't have the inmates running the asylum.

19. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

If I'm the Clemson coach, I'd have zero issues with this. The potential gain of the number one recruit in the country outweighs one extra scholarship.

Coaches at this level often make these kind of deals.

20. MtnBuff

Agree with what you are saying but also agree more with Sacky. It's not making the deal, it's making the deal in public in a way that makes it look like the kid is calling the shots, not the coaches.

I also as mentioned earlier wonder if a kid who would say yes or no to a program based on an offer to his buddy is really commited to the program anyways. It would look bad enough for it to look like he forced them into making the deal for his friend. It would be an embarrasment if after that he backed out of the commitment anyways.

Sexton Hardcastle likes this.
  21. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Good points.

22. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

is it just his one friend or did he have a hand in clemson's offers to the other two kids from his high school too? i wonder if there is such a thing as legally structured "contingent offers" in the recruiting game? anybody know?

23. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

There is only the signed LOI., which has one name on it. Nothing is "legal" unless and until that is received.

24. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Clemson just needs to sign 'em both then cancel one guy's scholly afterward. Simple.

25. MtnBuff

that would be a typical move for that part of the country. Sign them both then find a reason not to take the LOI from the friend. Once the other kid is signed Clemson basically owns him.