1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBA Lock out in 11-12

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buff_since76, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

I had a discussion with a friend the other day, and we were trying to figure out whether an NBA lockout will help CU B-ball. If a Lockout occurs will Burks stay at CU for one more year? We will lose Higgins and Relphorde for sure, but it would be nice to have Burks for our first year of PAC-12 play.

If a lockout means keeping Burks, I hope the Owners shut it down again.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I've been speculating on that for a long while. NBA contracts only pay the players during the actual season. If it doesn't look like he would get paid or get to play a full NBA rookie season, staying an extra year at CU has to become a consideration.

3. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

The only bad part about an NBA lockout is that it would eventually end... :huh:

4. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

This would be awesome. I can't imagine he would go pro during a lockout. All that leaves him is Europe. I would think we would have a pretty good shot at keeping him for an extra year.

Plus you get the added bonus of not having to watch the NBA. The worst pro sports product out there.

5. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Exactly. If I had any stake in the NBA (players/owners whatever), I'd be really careful about a work stoppage.

6. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons set it best about how long a NBA lockout would last. The big stars of the NBA live large but the majority of players are living pay check by pay check since they are supporting their homies, girlfriends, wives, child support, etc.

Eventually the players will come back (like they did in 99) because they need the money.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

All the players are doing pretty well in the bad paper association.

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

I'd go with the NHL on that.

9. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

:lol:

NHL may be one of the worst managed leagues in sports. But the product is light years better than the junk the NBA produces.

10. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

In a way, an unsigned kid coming out of college would have and advantage, wouldn't he? He would, if good enough, have the option of playing in Europe, honing his skills, and making money.

11. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

**** betman

12. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Ugh. I know that some kid playing for the Timberwolves or something did well that way, I just don't see why a kid would want to do that. Other than the payday.

13. Buffnik

They already have that option and don't take it. Even the guys who are so good they'd never go to college if the NBA drafted high schoolers. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Getting drafted doesn't force an obligation on a guy to play in the NBA.

14. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Playing in Europe is not a good idea for a kid coming out of high school, even if he's good enough. He won't get the playing time he would get in college ball, which means less exposure to NBA scouts. Even if he was a starter for a Euro club, college ball is still the better option for a player looking to get drafted.

15. Buffnik

David Stern admitted on the Jim Rome show today that "it was a fair number" when Rome suggested the owners were looking to reduce salaries by about 1/3. Contraction is also on the table. Budget cuts are definitely coming and the negotiation of the new collective bargaining agreement is going to be an absolute war.

Maybe Alec will wait until the dust settles and stay for his junior year?

16. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Let's just hope he has the type of year where we have to worry about him leaving. :thumbsup:

This statement released yesterday from the head of the players union doesn't sound very good:

The owners never should have agreed to guaranteed money back in the early 90's. It's been downhill ever since then, and it's just going to get worse starting next summer. :huh:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  17. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

i hope the nba locks out for a year... **** them... go get 'em david!!!

18. MEBuff

MEBuff Member

Europe may not be a good option for exposure, but if a player is in it for money, why not? Look at Josh Childress. He was offered 5 years with the Hawks for $33 mil but got a contract in Greece for 3 years at $32 mil. I'd hate to see him leave for Europe, but if he's in it for the money....

19. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

My greatest hope is that there is a lockout before Melo signs his $62 million contract. Stern wants to cut salaries by 33%. That'd be great. Not holding my breath though. At the very least, Stern saying that gives the Nuggets a little more bargaining power. That is if $20 million even matters to Melo anymore.

20. canuck_buff

canuck_buff Active Member

More College BB would be on TV and less BS who gives a faaaackkk regular season NBA games. If the players do not comply with revisions they are true idiots. I love Basketball but love NCAA ball way more because the effort is there far more. granted it is a lot less games but Jesus show that you care NBA players sheesh.

Watching most games on TV of the NBA are like watching the uninspired players in the fish that saved Pittsburgh movie.

Oh yeah and **** Kobe and Lebron!

21. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

The NBA is unwatchable. I hope they lockout for at least a year and clean it up, improve the product. Whoever says that the NHL is worse has no taste.