1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBA Lockout = Lost Season

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by SECOBuffsFan, Jun 30, 2011.

1. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

This was my argument as to why it would have been better for Alec Burks to stay in school one more year and find out the labor situation. NBA experts are saying 75% chance there is no season next year because the situation is so bad right now. Burks would have been better off staying at CU. Does he continue in school and lift and workout with the team...that is the next question I guess?

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

europe

3. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

What experts are saying 75% chance of no season? I've seen a lot of talk about missing a lot of season, maybe only playing 40-50 regular season games, but I've seen very little threatening the entire loss of a season. Just curious to see who's saying that?

4. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

When were 2 "major" sports leagues last in a lockout at the same time?

5. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

PTI interviewed a former exec from Portland and Memphis on ESPN that said season in real jeopardy because the owners are split, the players are split and David Stern is bound and determined to get the system he wants for this CBA

6. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

We can only hope

7. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Got ya, Thanks.

8. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Depends, insurance costs could be prohibitive. I guess some guys would play in Europe for less, way less, money, but what if they blow out their knee or twist their ankle and have to retire because of it?

9. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

:nod:

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make any noise?

Would anybody actually notice if the NBA were gone?

11. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We basketball fans would. But I really don't care much about the sport before Christmas and I don't mind an extended lockout if it means they're able to fix some of the problems with cap, contracts, player movement, and mid-market viability that are hurting the game.

12. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

Many places with multiple pro teams may not care. Not good for Portland, however.

13. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

nba is much more popular with the younger crowd than you give it credit for. It would be missed.

14. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I don't mind basketball - just hate the NBA.

15. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I'm with Nik. I was a die-hard NBA fan up until this last season (to the point where I would take Martin Luther King day off from work because they have NBA games starting at 10 am and not ending until 11 pm) but the "decision" and "Melo-drama" and all the other BS made it hard to follow. They can fix that stuff, I'll be right back where I was.

As for the Burks argument, yeah I guess you can say it would be better for his game to say he should have stayed, but there is no way that Burks would have gone as high as 13 next year. Next year's draft is already being compared to the 2003 draft and is probably the deepest one in years. As bad as it was for him to go pro for us, it was a great move for him.

16. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Sounds like it's only happened once before:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6723645

17. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

TV ratings from the playoffs would indicate that a lot of people would miss it. I realize it is not for everyone, but I think it has become an all too convenient punching bag.

18. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

But won't he get in under the existing system, since he was drafted under it?

I think the players in real trouble are the people who will be getting contracts in 2 or 3 years. They will likely lose millions by the new CBA, especially if the hard cap is low, like Stern is trying for.

19. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

some of this with me, too. i really despise all the "psychology" and drama of the NBA--much of which is actively covered and promoted by it's TV "analysts"....which is sort of like listening to ESPN talking heads complain about too much "media hype" around any type of sporting event. c'mon?

I'm a big Nuggets fan, but less of an NBA fan in toto. further, i despise the 24 second shot clock and the NBA plays WAY too many games.

20. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Won't someone think of the posses? If the lockout happens, I shudder to think what the posse members will do without the bankroll of their principal to sponge from....

21. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Maybe when Ray Lewis talked about crime rising due to the lockout, he meant the NBA one and not the NFL one.

22. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

TV ratings to see the LeBron show either win it all or go down in flames? That's like watching a train wreck. People aren't necessarily fans of train wrecks, but they still watch.

The NBA sucks.

23. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

The best outcome would be a hard cap which would kill The Heat since their Big Three would, pretty much, put them at the cap. I, too, hope for a season long lockout.