1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC/Comcast and Pac-12

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by NashBuff, Jun 15, 2010.

1. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/images/2010/06/14/colorado.pdf

NBC and Comcast very well could be interested in paying $$$ to the Big East and Pac-12 in this situation.

Let's not forget what Larry Scott did for women's tennis when it comes to $$$ and TV contracts. That is something that the mainstream media is overlooking.

Who do you have more confidence in to bring in the most $$$? Larry Scott or Dan Beebe? Weren't the current Big 12 TV deals put together by Kevin Weiberg (Pac-10 #2 guy) who also put together the Big Ten Network?

Take comfort in those facts that CU still made the BEST move to the Pac-10!

2. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

3. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

SHHHHHHH! :D

Maybe the MWC should have gone after Larry Scott in the first place!

4. B1Buff

B1Buff Active Member

After everything that transpired in the last 2 weeks and am surprised that this question is even being asked...at this point i wouldnt even have confidence in dan beebe ability to negotiate an out of conference game let alone a TV contract. From here on out, Dan Beebe is simply a figure head for the the advancement of the UT AD.

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I hope not Comcast! I've got sattlite. There would be a big battle between DirecTV and Comcast on fees.

6. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

I am not trying to spend anyone's money here.... but I have both for the sole reason that CU is better on the dish and Philadelphia sports are all on comcast. after you pay for the dish for 1 year, you can go on suspension and just pay for the dish during football season. It is certainly less than spending $$$$ on season tixs!

7. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

There is no Comcast in my hood. We have some piece of **** called United Cable. That is why you see so many dishes west of Indiana St., :lol:

8. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

By "Comcast" I'm assuming he means the NBC family of channels which Comcast will soon own, in addition to the new proprietary sports channel Versus, not sure if Versus is on satelite or not but I'm pretty sure it is.

9. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

This is kind of the future of pay tv. Exclusivity. Comcast will do whatever it takes to get people to switch to their network. See altitude and the big 10 network. They know a large percentage of people will switch so they don't miss a single game.

10. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Well I better be able to get the Buffs on DirecTV or a damn antenna here in the Denver area!

11. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Comcast/NBC/Versus would play games on their national over-the-air networks: NBC and Versus, and then the Pac-10 would have a conference owned (with Comcast as partner) network that would have to work its way onto regional cable and the satellite providers lineup, just like the Big Ten Network, Versus, and the .mtn have had to do.

This is one of the advantages of working with Fox as they have greater distribution on those outlets, and also Newscorp was formerly the controlling owner of DirecTV (which is how the Big Ten Network got their initial deal).

12. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

You'll see the Buffs for sure. But don't expect NU games or OU or KU games to go away given the outlandish number of alums of those schools that call Denver home. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Big 10 coverage usurped Pac 10 coverage in Denver for that matter.

13. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Versus is on satellite, but for several months, including last football season, it wasn't on Directv. They got into a bad negotiation with Comcast over the rights fees to carry Versus. The problem is, Comcast stands to win if networks they own disappear from satellite providers during crucial times and satellite subscribers switch to cable providers (like, say, Comcast) in order to get the channel.

I'm not sure I like Comcast's blatant conflict of interest getting control of any networks, much less one that would be carrying the Buffs (or NBC, but that's for a different thread).

14. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

sweet jesus and all that is holy...

...this is why there are things called "sports bars"!!

do i have to explain everything to you people?

:rolling_eyes: