1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCAA hands Bowden his a$$

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by LaserDeathHawk, Mar 6, 2009.

1. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

http://www.fanblogs.com/florida_state/008059.php

Not sure the implications of this. If they vacate the win against us do we then add a win that season? And if so does it make any difference at all?

2. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

A couple of years ago when OU forfeited its wins as a result of Bomar-gate, kNU fans claimed that they were the Big XII North Champs since they had one more win. I said it then, and I'll say it now: horse****.

short answer is "no" we do not. and should not, add a win. Vacting wins is a meaningless punishment. At worst, they simply have to remove any trophy from the trophy case and remove a championship banner from the rafters of the gym. It is pinky slap on the wrist.

Loss of schollies, a ban from post season play, or loss of television rights is the worst a violator will get. Since FSU only lost schollies, I'd say that came out rather unscathed.

3. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

Won't make a difference except to DH's overall record at CU. Seems like they are getting off rather easy for the violations.

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Did anybody read the remark at the bottom regarding Alabama's program? Was that just some fan talking ****?

5. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Agreed. Light slap on the wrist indeed. The only one it really hurts is Bowden and his record. It won't hurt the program much though.

6. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Bowden has to be so redassed right now. He wants that record so bad, and now he's trailing JoePa by a considerable margin.

7. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

He'll be around longer than JoePa IMO. Joe hasn't looked to healthy......I wonder if anyone took JoePa in the Death Pool, or Bowden

8. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

if you mean the self-reporting that Alabama came out with today, it is real:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3956039

Of course, when the talking heads and media discuss Florida State and Alabama football, it will be about football, and none of this - whereas for about 3 years Colorado football couldn't be discussed without first mentioning "the scandal." It's fair, though, no really.

9. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

So... did the NCAA impose the same penalty on FSU (1 lost schollie) for Academic Fraud as they imposed on CU (1 lost schollie if I remember) for self-reporting the training table violation?

10. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Yeah, more bs from No Credibility At All.

11. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Does this mean we get to go to a bowl?:smile2:

12. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

1st off to correct beltway, OU has the 8 victories from 2005 when RB was the starting QB, the NCAA determined that they "made a mistake" when they 1st took "forfeited" the vicoties instead of "vacate" the victories. They had to reinstate the victoruies to OU and could not seek the victories be vacated.

per ivan maisel at ESPN:

Vacation is one step up from forfeit. Vacation means that Florida State can't claim the victory. It will go unclaimed in perpetuity, like a piece of luggage that never comes off the airport carousel.

so what this means to CU and their record is possibly the game was never played. It does not go in the wim or loss column and CU only played 11 games of record that year, but only if its determined that a student-athlete played in this game that received the favorable grades. if no student-athlete that received the favorale grades played in the CU/FSU game, then the record for the game stands.

13. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

I found this today looking at a story about Bobby Bowden..... seems the UT press puts a nice spin on Mack Brown and the total number of his victories...

Should I-AA wins count?
    Speaking of the wins record, the Texas spring football guide just arrived – all 308 pages of it. On the back of the guide is a chart listing the "NCAA Active Victory Leaders," with Paterno and Bowden first and second, followed by Texas' Mack Brown.
    Upon close scrutiny, one notices that Bowden is 32 wins behind Paterno, not one. Upon even closer scrutiny, one notices a line saying "Record at FBS [i.e., Division I-A] schools only." Bowden got 31 of his wins at Howard, which now is known as Samford – and Samford is a FCS (i.e., Division I-AA) school. Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer would be ahead of Brown, but Beamer began his career at Murray State (also a FCS school), and when the Murray State victories are removed, Brown moves into third.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=921458
    but, but, but we're Texas.......