1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCAA legislative changes for football

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Passed

Proposal: 2010-17
    What's it mean: In football, the previous limit of two graduate assistants will be increased to four graduate assistants.
    When does it take affect: August 1, 2012.

Proposal: 2010-59-C
    What's it mean: Any player who doesn't pass nine hours (or eight quarter hours) in the fall, shall not be eligible to play in the first four games of the following season. The player may regain eligibility for the third and forth game by completing 27 hours (or 40 quarter hours) before the next fall term. The player may regain his eligibility for all four games once during his five years of playing eligibility by completing the 27 hours (or 40 quarter hours)
    When does it take affect: August 1, 2011.

Tabled

Proposal: 2010-18-C-1
    What it is intended to do: Limit of nine non-coaching staff members, including clerical staff, director of operations, video coordinator, quality control people, player development staff and director of community relations. Any full time student (graduate or undergraduate) who supports the football program shall be exempt.

Proposal: 2010-26-3
    What it is intended to do: Maintain the current restrictions on athletes in advertisements but opens things up for them to appear in school, charitable, educational or non-profit promotions. It also adjusts the language so there's no distinction between doing this during the season or during the offseason.

http://college-football-blog.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/28498134

I like what passed. Tightened up the academics so that guys have to take a somewhat real course load during the season in order to be eligible the following season. Doubled the number of grad assistants to 4. Both rules make a lot of sense.

2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Could the first one potentially hurt schools with tougher academics. You know, schools that don't have the "cake" classes and majors?

3. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

I the GA additions, this will be a big help in the future.

4. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Would this have had an impact on Andy Katzenmoyer's eligibility?

Excerpts:

Katzenmoyer, an All-America linebacker for the Buckeyes, maintained his eligibility by taking classes last summer in music, golf and another course titled "AIDS: What Every College Student Should Know."

Katzenmoyer: "I earned every grade I got," he told television station WBNS on Wednesday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/1999/06/09/katzenmoyer_grades/

5. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

So that must mean it won't hurt the Butthuskers?