What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Ski Championships (Hosted by the Buffs in Steamboat Springs, March 9th-12th)

At approximately the half-way point, Buff freshman Petter Reistad has been in a solo breakaway from early on, but his lead appears to be shrinking and is only ~6 seconds ahead of a following group of 8 with a LONG ways to go. Hopefully he has the conditioning to make it strong the whole 20Km!

Assume this is the Buffs trying to keep the pace strong so as to possibly break down some of the skiers from the teams ahead of them and maybe gain some big points in this race.

Aztec deserves some love for all of his hard work

Ah- I love this stuff so would be watching anyways. Writing my ramblings makes me think of the event in a stronger way, so just makes it more exciting.

By the way, corrected link for live timing- http://summittiming.com/live_results/data/live_splits_for_men.html

Per a course report by the announcers, Mr. Reistad has been absorbed by a pack of ~6-7 racers. 2 of those (including Mr. Reistad) are Buffs!

After 3 of 4 laps, Petter Reistad has fallen back a bit but is still in 7th so could earn big points for the Buffs if he can hold on. Buff leader Mads Stroem is 1 of 3 skiers in a lead group, so as expected is in the hunt for his 2nd individual championship this year.

Mads Stroem has taken the lead but is still being stalked by a DU skier. A Ute is in 3rd a little ways behind.

By the ways, looks like the 3rd Buff skier was in ~18th the last time the live splits were updated (which looks like it was awhile ago), so hopefully the Buffs will be getting points from ALL its skiers in this race.

In the team race, looks like DU got 2 top 10 finishes (2nd and 10th) and the Utes got 3rd and 7th, while it looks like all the Montana State racers were quite a ways back. With their 1st finisher way back in 27th, looks like MSU's chances at a huge upset has been ended. With the DU 3rd skier also finishing in a very solid place (13th) and ahead of the Utes 3rd (who finished in 16th), looks like the Pioneers may have extended their leading margin over the Utes by a few points, and it will take a MONSTER performance by the Ute women and a horrible one by the Pioneers to keep the Championship trophy from staying in Colorado, albeit a little to the southeast of where Buff fans would like it to reside.

With MSU's minimal points (maybe 4-5), I'd say the Buffs have probably worked their way onto the podium by I'd guess 15 points or so over the Fighting Bobcats, but it's obviously still close enough that the Buff women will need to finish strong in the championships' last race to guarantee the podium will contain a waving yellow Buff flag.

Unofficial points after the Men's Classical race-
DU 481.5
Utah 436
Colorado 414.5
Montana State 395

Should be said that, in the recent RMISA championships, the Ute women had a monster performance in the Classical race, and scored 108 points vs. 58 for DU, so they do still have a chance. (The MOST a team can score in any one race, with a 1st-3rd finish, is 111 points, so Utah had the near perfect race that day.) In the unlikely event a Utah skier or two has a bad day, assume the Buffs have an outside chance of catching them for 2nd, as CU was 2nd in points at the RMISA's classical race with 78 points, and I believe that was without CU's top 2 ranked skiers racing, while they are both part of the three member Buff team in the field today for the race starting in ~15 minutes.

Last edited:
Afer lap 1 of 3 in the women's race, it's still a big pack. Looks like all Buffs in good position so far, I'd say in or near the top 10, with a LONG way to go.

After one lap, it was definitely a top team dominated race, as the live splits showed CU, DU and Ute racers all in the 1st-9th positions. As noted above, though, it was still a tight pack, so anything can still happen.

A couple tweets with short highlights from today's earlier Men's race.

In the women's race, a Pioneer and Ute skier have gone ahead and had a (per reporters on the video) an ~5 second lead awhile ago.

After 2 laps, looks like the Buffs were all in decent shape. (Per scoring, they're in 6th, 7th and 11th.) The 1st Buff seemed quite a bit behind (maybe ~15 seconds???) the DU and Ute lead two, so unless the Buffs can pull a great move in the last lap, no Buff is in individual championship position.

DU currently has racers in 2nd and 3rd, so unless one or both blow up, looks good for them regaining the championship.

Last edited:
DU skier now in front by ~17 seconds over a Ute. Looks like they'll have a nice exclamation point of another individual championship to go along with their team championship.

2 more Buff 1st team All-American honors as Ane Johnsen and Jesse Knori finish 3rd and 5th!

Wow- unofficially looks to me like a great comeback by the Buffs to earn 2nd place overall!!!

CU's 3rd racer earned some points with a 17th place finish, so I think their 3rd, 5th and 17th place points should be enough to make up the 21.5 point deficit to Utah going into this race, as Utah finished in 4th, 13th and 34th.

Big congrats to the DU Pioneers on their NCAA leading 23rd overall NCAA skiing championship. (The Buffs will get them next year to close the gap again!)

Wow! I was hoping for third, at best, coming into today. Looking forward to the official standings.

Wow! I was hoping for third, at best, coming into today. Looking forward to the official standings.

Just to test how accurate my running totals (and Excel spreadsheet skills) are, I unofficially have-
DU - 567.5
CU- 491.5
Utah- 485

We'll see how close that is to the final scores.

Just to test how accurate my running totals (and Excel spreadsheet skills) are, I unofficially have-
DU - 567.5
CU- 491.5
Utah- 485

We'll see how close that is to the final scores.
I really want to meet you in person. How do you drink your coffee?

Aztec, great job keeping us informed. You are better than the media does it.

Great job Buffs, Back to back would be nice but coming from fourth to second is big, great start on next year.

How big an impact did injuries have on the Buffs. Saw that they lost a female skier a couple weeks ago to injury. Would we have been in range of the title if healthy?

Both the Daily Camera ( http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-colle...s-national-championships-classical?source=rss ) and DU (http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports/c-ski/spec-rel/031216aaa.html) seem to be confirming the Buff's 2nd place finish . (Note- my VERY unofficial points totals in post #53 do jive with the numbers listed in the DU article, so seem to have ended up to be (at minimum) pretty accurate.)

Congrats to the Buffs once again for the comeback 2nd place finish, and DU for the championship.

Back