What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NEBRASKA CANS PELINI!

Still not buying that buyout.

The buyout language is real enough, I think, but remember that the liability for the buyout is with Sparkles himself, not with his a hypothetical employer (unless he makes them indemnify him through a new contract). My understanding is that it is dirty little secret in athletics administration that schools rarely, actually sue a head coach who flees for better pastures for the money. From an article a few years old about the phenomenon:

In college football, coaches' contracts might as well be written in pencil.
“They have taken the position that a coaching contract is like a prenuptial agreement,” said Dan Fitzgerald, a noted Connecticut-based sports attorney. “It spells out the terms of the breakup, nothing more.”
Exorbitant liquidated damages clauses — or buyouts — are mainly unenforceable because the award, by law, must be a true measure of the cost caused by the coach's departure. It is difficult to quantify.
“Urban Meyer leaving hurts Florida, but what's it cost?” Fitzgerald said. “It's hard to say. If it were a $20 million buyout, it probably wouldn't hold if they went to court.”
And precious few lawsuits ever enter a courtroom. No buyout amount has ever been overturned in court, Fitzgerald said, mainly due to unwillingness by the affected schools to sue. Northeastern brought suit against coach Donald Brown and conference rival Massachusetts in 2004 to prevent him from leaving. West Virginia sued coach Rich Rodriguez to recover a $4 million buyout after he left for Michigan in 2007.
“Universities are non-litigious when it comes to this,” Karcher said. “They view it as bad PR.”
Added Fitzgerald, “The custom for the marketplace is that the contracts are not enforced. They don't have strong enough buyout language. Another reason — and how do I say this? — is the school that sues their coach for leaving, where do you think they got their coach?”

So, yeah, CSU has a contract with Sparkles, but the probably won't sue him if he leaves. They will move on to the next guy. That's not to say Sparkles won't stay even if he gets an offer from Nebraska, but I don't think for a second that the buyout would stop him from going. I do not, though, think that Sparkles is the kind of guy that Nebraska is looking for. I think that a guy like Rich Rod or Graham is more likely.

Pelini didn't keep the stadium full. The football program on the whole did. The stadium was full all through the dark ages of the Callahan tenure. AD Eichorst just said in his presser that the buyout money will come from a reserve operating expense fund and that there is mitigation language in the contracts of each of the football coaches. If they get jobs at another school or even at Nebraska, the buyout is less. Nebraska has the money to hire whom ever they pick as the new head coach and his staff.

:lol:

You guys are clueless.

Unfortunately in some regards surveyor is right. This is the same program that sells 35k seats to a spring game, and did it when Callahan was there. It would take a big sustained drop-off before they start having to work to sell tickets there.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if that "reserve operating fund" wasn't actually some checks from some major boosters who think that kNU should be playing for a NC every year. I don't think they are realistic in that expectation but it's their money.

$7.5 million may sound like a huge chunk of money as well but if they really want Sparkles that wouldn't be an overwhelming obstacle. All it takes is a couple of supporters who sell their farms and are pissed enough at their kids to give it to the fuskers instead.

What I do know is that if they do buy out Sparkles he better have a plan to win because for that kind of money being "pretty good" isn't going to be good enough.

I wouldn't be in any way surprised if they don't end up getting turned down by a number guys if they try to go high profile. The money may be good with a lot of resources but expectations may also be unrealistic.

The buyout language is real enough, I think, but remember that the liability for the buyout is with Sparkles himself, not with his a hypothetical employer (unless he makes them indemnify him through a new contract). My understanding is that it is dirty little secret in athletics administration that schools rarely, actually sue a head coach who flees for better pastures for the money. From an article a few years old about the phenomenon:

So, yeah, CSU has a contract with Sparkles, but the probably won't sue him if he leaves. They will move on to the next guy. That's not to say Sparkles won't stay even if he gets an offer from Nebraska, but I don't think for a second that the buyout would stop him from going. I do not, though, think that Sparkles is the kind of guy that Nebraska is looking for. I think that a guy like Rich Rod or Graham is more likely.
This is my point. If he leaves, CSU will never get $7.5M in return.

Tough to find out Bo is gone. He and his family are good people. I can see that Bo was getting tired as the season went along. This may be somewhat of a mutual decision. We'll never know for sure.

As it is, the Nebraska AD Eichorst has some big ones to pull this off now. He is throwing the dice big time to get the Husker program to the next level.

There are many names being thrown around to fill the next position. I would expect a decision will be made within the next 2-3 weeks.

Assistant Coach Barney Cotton will coach the team for the Bowl game.

No doubt this AD is taking your nubs to the next logical level. You're just not going to like it.

Unfortunately in some regards surveyor is right. This is the same program that sells 35k seats to a spring game, and did it when Callahan was there. It would take a big sustained drop-off before they start having to work to sell tickets there.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if that "reserve operating fund" wasn't actually some checks from some major boosters who think that kNU should be playing for a NC every year. I don't think they are realistic in that expectation but it's their money.

$7.5 million may sound like a huge chunk of money as well but if they really want Sparkles that wouldn't be an overwhelming obstacle. All it takes is a couple of supporters who sell their farms and are pissed enough at their kids to give it to the fuskers instead.

What I do know is that if they do buy out Sparkles he better have a plan to win because for that kind of money being "pretty good" isn't going to be good enough.

I wouldn't be in any way surprised if they don't end up getting turned down by a number guys if they try to go high profile. The money may be good with a lot of resources but expectations may also be unrealistic.

Go read his post:

He called the Callahan years the dark ages. Where are they now. They won conference championships and played for a national title then. Bo kept the stadium full by winning 9 games a year.

Bo's closing record. 26-25 against teams above .500. 40-2 against teams below.500. 9-14 against top 25 teams. TO went on the cheap to get Bo, I don't think SE will. IMO I like the move. Not a Bo guy.

SIAP, any shot we get back in on Anderson and Lee would had committed to NU? Think they may have been slated for early entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough to find out Bo is gone. He and his family are good people. I can see that Bo was getting tired as the season went along. This may be somewhat of a mutual decision. We'll never know for sure.

As it is, the Nebraska AD Eichorst has some big ones to pull this off now. He is throwing the dice big time to get the Husker program to the next level.

There are many names being thrown around to fill the next position. I would expect a decision will be made within the next 2-3 weeks.

Assistant Coach Barney Cotton will coach the team for the Bowl game.
9124fe3f2c4892c248f35a6f48e9b225.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SIAP, any shot we get back in on Anderson and Lee would had committed to NU? Think they may have been slated for early entry.

Anderson doesn't have an offer, and Lee is a Husker legacy. No way IMO.

Be careful what you wish for Huskers. The Buffs have been trying to find the coach that puts them back on a championship trajectory for 20 years.

Be careful what you wish for Huskers. The Buffs have been trying to find the coach that puts them back on a championship trajectory for 20 years.

Look at the facilities each team has, look at the fan support, look at the money each school is willing to spend. I think Nebraska wins these battles.

False, for much of that time the administration couldn't give a crap as long as athletics stayed out of their way.

The threw Barnett under the bus.
The Hawk hiring at the time looked to be big time but when it became clear that he wasn't going to make it they held on to be cheap, held on to long because they didn't want to pay to fire him.
Then they went absolute cheap hiring Embree, a guy who wasn't even in consideration for a coordinators job anywhere else. If they could have found a reason to give him another year they would have done so as well but he was to bad to ignore.
Finally they seem to have tried for an upwards trajectory with M2, let's see where it goes.

Fuskers fired a coach who won more games this season than we have won in the last 3 1/2, more games than we have won in a single season in over a decade.

I think they are delusional but at least they are willing to try, we haven't been.

In fact, no coach in the history of a Power 5 program had been fired for on-field performance after winning as many games in his first seven years. Only Alabama and Oregon -- first and second this week in the College Football Playoff rankings -- can match the Huskers in winning nine games each year since 2008.
7361206a3b2f1efad5864032615eb0ef990c2d03176595b8511f961bf27f737f.jpg

I want some of his staff. Just sayin.

D'oh. :lol:

Seriously, though, many of Bo's assistants may be on the move because of this. Scott Frost as a HC may want to go full Fusker and retain Barney Cotton for loyalty reasons, but the majority of that staff will be free agents. I mention this because Rich Fisher and Charlton Warren are both relatively young and are connected to the state of Colorado, so if MacIntyre wants to make a staff change or two which I support, he should at least get to know more about each.

Kendall Bussey, Eric Lee, and Avery Anderson are three names connected to those coaches who should at least warrant a second look now that there is a shakeup.

D'oh. :lol:

Seriously, though, many of Bo's assistants may be on the move because of this. Scott Frost as a HC may want to go full Fusker and retain Barney Cotton for loyalty reasons, but the majority of that staff will be free agents. I mention this because Rich Fisher and Charlton Warren are both relatively young and are connected to the state of Colorado, so if MacIntyre wants to make a staff change or two which I support, he should at least get to know more about each.

Kendall Bussey, Eric Lee, and Avery Anderson are three names connected to those coaches who should at least warrant a second look now that there is a shakeup.

I think the best coach on that staff is Ron Brown (RBs), but he's been there forever. Pelini inherited him from the previous staff.

I hope they hire Sparkles. He is also a leading candidate for the Florida job. I just hope he leaves so CSU goes back to being a crappy team we destroy every year.

Would literally LOL if Nebraska hires Frost. That's a disaster waiting to happen imo

I don't want sparkles to go. It would irk me for ANY CSU coach to leave with a winning record against CU.

Would literally LOL if Nebraska hires Frost. That's a disaster waiting to happen imo

They like him very much in Eugene. I was sitting next to an ex-Duck player at the game and he had really good things to say about Frost. He figured they'd lose him if the Nebraska job came open.

Not sure he's a home run but I don't see him as a disaster.

They like him very much in Eugene. I was sitting next to an ex-Duck player at the game and he had really good things to say about Frost. He figured they'd lose him if the Nebraska job came open.

Not sure he's a home run but I don't see him as a disaster.
I see Embree all over this. Frost has been riding coat tails

Pelini coached Nebraska teams were must see TV for me the last handful of seasons. I was like one of the guys who watches auto racing hoping to see a crash. There was always a decent chance that I would get to see Bo completely lose his ****, and it was always riveting.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad that I don't have that to look forward to any more.

:sad2:

Also, what is going to happen to @fauxpellini on Twitter?

Back