What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nebraska to 12 Pac? Husker fans invited to reply

Would anyone miss anything about the association with Nebraska, seriously?

I'm one of the biggest lobbyists on here for joining the Pac. But, come on. The game with Nebraska is a big deal. That's been a big part of my Thanksgiving week for a good chunk of my life. Of course I'll miss it.

I understand that, but don't share the feeling. McCartney built it into something that hadn't existed before, and that can be done again.

I think the only way Nebraska gets into the Pac-10 is if there is a "merger" between the elite Big 12 and Pac-10 programs to form a 16-team conference.

A buddy of mine from Chicago is convinced that UT and A&M are off to the Big 10...the deal has been cut.

A buddy of mine from Chicago is convinced that UT and A&M are off to the Big 10...the deal has been cut.

Man, Dallas if that happens, that will create quite the s**tstorm down here. All the talking heads down here are quite frankly scared to go to the B10 because the competition goes up for them. Of course, UT has the Austin media in their back pocket anyway, so they may be telling them to keep things quiet until the time comes (like when we make the announcement of a jump to the Pac 12! I hope, I hope...)

IMHO the P10 would be a far 3rd place for NU to end up. Big 10 would be a better fit. I know what you will be saying about the academic angle but lets face it the B10 is screwed, they need to grow and $$ talk loudest. Mizzu goes B10 and NU has built in rivals with them, Iowa and Penn St. I really think NU stays put in the retooled and weaker B12 if for no other reason than TO can have something to complain about. Rumors are Ark may be interested in the B12 and it will bring with it total restructure of divisions. TCU comes in and the conf gets renamed the Texas 6 + 6.

If CU goes to the P10 do they need to bring back a full slate of sports to do so?

this might be the 2nd dumbest thought i've ever read here - the dumbest was hawkins being retained...

IMHO the P10 would be a far 3rd place for NU to end up. Big 10 would be a better fit. I know what you will be saying about the academic angle but lets face it the B10 is screwed, they need to grow and $$ talk loudest. Mizzu goes B10 and NU has built in rivals with them, Iowa and Penn St. I really think NU stays put in the retooled and weaker B12 if for no other reason than TO can have something to complain about. Rumors are Ark may be interested in the B12 and it will bring with it total restructure of divisions. TCU comes in and the conf gets renamed the Texas 6 + 6.

If CU goes to the P10 do they need to bring back a full slate of sports to do so?

WTF are you talking about? The Big 10(11) is raking in more TV cash by far than any other conference including the SEC. The success of the Big 10(11) network is a big reason other conferences are also scrambling to expand. I would hardly call them screwed.

Man, Dallas if that happens, that will create quite the s**tstorm down here. All the talking heads down here are quite frankly scared to go to the B10 because the competition goes up for them. Of course, UT has the Austin media in their back pocket anyway, so they may be telling them to keep things quiet until the time comes (like when we make the announcement of a jump to the Pac 12! I hope, I hope...)

That's contrary to my impression. While I concur that this was a down year for the Big XII overall, I'd still argue that the Big XII has been far more competitive than the Big 10 since 2002. And frankly, the Southern Division--where Texas plays--has been carrying the bulk of that load.

I would be more convinced if your buddy was from Austin, unless your buddy is an "insider" at the Big Ten office?

Just speculation....separately, I ran into a huge LSU booster today, who also suggested the Texas/A&M move to the B10. I agree...seems ludicrous to me, but there is a lot of chatter about it.

Who else would they take in? Because I really doubt they would stop at becoming the Big 13.... If it's Mizzou, the Big XII is officially on life support and CU needs to get out while the getting's good... :huh:

That's contrary to my impression. While I concur that this was a down year for the Big XII overall, I'd still argue that the Big XII has been far more competitive than the Big 10 since 2002. And frankly, the Southern Division--where Texas plays--has been carrying the bulk of that load.

What I meant was that the competition for prestige/BMOC went up for them. But they have said that Mack would not be happy (and go to blows over) with a schedule that (this when it was thought aTm would stay B12) included OU and aTm out of conference and a conference schedule with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn St. and Wisconsin. I mean there was actually a tinge of FEAR in "lifetime LongWhorns" Rod Babers' and Ahmad Brooks' voices.

Doesn't surprise me if it would worry Coach Brown. The greatest team he ever had barely beat Ohio State.

WTF are you talking about? The Big 10(11) is raking in more TV cash by far than any other conference including the SEC. The success of the Big 10(11) network is a big reason other conferences are also scrambling to expand. I would hardly call them screwed.
screwed is wrong..... that does not even look right to me as I read it, sorry. Screwed got used and it reads way out of context from how I meant it, but it was more from the standpoint of the B10 taking NU into their conf, my bad. The B10 needs to grow to 12 teams and trying to keep their academic standards will be tough with NU. Other than that, it would be a good fit but for that to happen they will have to overlook a few things...
The B10 would be prefered by NU over the Pac10, obviously the B10 is in the drivers seat on this. NU would bring quite a bit to the table: national drawing power, built in rivals, a team also in the top 10 for revenue, a full slate of sports offered, facilities are top 1/3 in the nation and there are plans on the books for improvments to that, womens athletics are very good, fan support is as good as any top 10 program, fans travel (and spend money) for road games, etc... NU is an attractive get for more than just football. Money talks, NU has it, in yearly figures and infrastructure. Sorry for the poor attempt earlier.

I really don't care where UT goes so long as it's away. However, if they do jump to the Big 10, then OU becomes a serious possibility for expansion into the Pac 10 with CU.

Problem solved.

A rumor making the rounds on another board is that Les Miles has one more year to get back to a BCS game, and Bo Pelini is next in line at LSU if he fails to do so.

A rumor making the rounds on another board is that Les Miles has one more year to get back to a BCS game, and Bo Pelini is next in line at LSU if he fails to do so.
i for one would love that LSU goes retarded by firing les, lil bo peep gets assraped in the SEC and miles replaces rich fraud at Miiiiiiiichigan!!!

I heard the same thing last weekend from a big LSU booster. They hate Les in Baton Rouge....

Several responses to this thread:

-- NU, while a stretch geographically for the Pac-10, would give the Pac-10 more attention to the rest of the nation. Face facts here: even though NU has sort of been in a "lost decade," the fact remains is that the white helmet with red N on it is well-known all over the place. NU is one of the few schools that people back east would "check in on" if they were on TV. That alone means the Pac would have an opportunity to showcase itself back east in the big media markets, especially if NU continues to improve. They're one of the big programs in college football history and they get attention for being good and for being bad. Not quite to the level of Notre Dame, but not far from it, either. I hate Nowledge U. as much as the next guy, but I could see why they would be attractive to the Pac-10 for several reasons.

-- Oklahoma won't be going anywhere without Oklahoma State. Period. And the only conference I see those two in beside the Big 12 is a super-expanded SEC.

-- CU better hope that a solid 12th is made, as I believe the Big 12 is on life support.

-- UT and A&M to the Big 10 seems strange, but the Big 10 has admitted it basically wants to take over the world, and there's no better way to do that than by taking two 50,000-plus enrollment universities in the Republic of Texas, a state with 25 million people. And they would get EVERY TV by adding those two and every cable provider would add the Big 10 Network the next day. They would print money and travel and other issues would be fixed by the green.

-- If Texas left the Big 12, it would collapse, or revert to a Big Eight-type deal, which is one in the same.

A couple of thoughts to frame my question:

1. I think the Pac 10 would like to take CU if there was another logical candidate to come with CU. As everyone knows, it needs to make economic sense for the Pac 10 to split its revenue 12 ways (up from 10). CCG will boost revenue, but it appears unlikely that revenue from CCG only justifies expansion. TV market and national perception also play a large role here. CU is desirable because Denver is the 16th largest TV market in the country, and would give the Pac 10 a one hour earier time slot for TV purposes. I'm not yet sold on Utah -- 32nd largest TV market, and it splits collegiate fanswith BYU (most people I know say SLC is 60-40 BYU to Utah fans). No way Pac 10 will consider BYU given Sunday issues (among others), and I'm not sure Utah brings enough to the table for the Pac 10 to expand with Colorado. In fact, Pac 10 is now inquiring about holding a CCG with only 10 teams despite current NCAA regulations. This makes me worried as a CU fan.

So CU needs an expansion partner....and Utah might not be enough to get us into the Pac 10.

2. Big 12 is in trouble. Commissioner hasn't shown any foresight here (I'd think about extending offer to BYU and Utah to fend off Pac 10 poaching, but that's another post), and TV deals are poor and locked in for next 5 years, which means things aren't going to be getting better in the intermediate term. Texas is a problem: it leaves and Big 12 exposure goes way down, or Texas continues to rule the roost and dominate conference affairs. Possible that Mizzou leaves, which would further strengthen Texas as the population hub of the Big 12.

So it's possible that a Big 12 team in addition to CU would look outside the conference since no Texas and probably more $$$$....

3. I think the school that may fit best is...Nebraska. In addition to maintaining the Pac 10's rivalry setup (CU and Nebraska come into the 12-Pac with great rivalry), it brings a lot of national exposure and a name brand that will help strengthen the national perception and, I believe, the TV dollars. TV games can be broadcast nationwide one hour earlier. Nebraska is an AAU school, which is important to Pac 10 presidents. I know some out there are pre-disposed to hating kNU, but they do have a large national following that expands beyond a relatively weak population base. I'd also like to see the CU/Nebraska rivalry to continue.

So my question is this -- would Nebraska consider moving to the Pac 10 with CU? And woiuld CU fans want this?

My take: if Nebraska helps clear the way for Pac 10 expansion, I'm all for it. I think Nebraska has stronger ties to the prairie schools in the B12 than CU does, but money talks and Tom Osborne is NOT a fan of the Big 12 being hijacked by Texas. And lastly, I'm concerned that if CU doesn't come with a travel partner that brings a lot to the table, there won't be Pac 10 expansion.

there is a strong movement in Texas for Hornz to go national independent...........no conference..............pick and choose scheduled teams, keeping Swooners and Agroids and maybe Gaylor.............and have thier own TV network etc.............they tire of sharing revenue with the eleven little sisters. They lead all college football in marketing official logo sales, have identity everywhere and know how to win big games.........................they do well in all major sports.............(psst - they even have a BASEBALL team !)

CU to Pac 12..........good fit................Corn to Big 10.........good fit..........Swooners, Okielite, ISU , KU, KSU< Agroids and Gaylor, Tech could add TCU

They have more NFL players than any current school and get exposure that way too...................I expect them to try it, rather than dick around with other conference alignments

there is a strong movement in Texas for Hornz to go national independent...........no conference..............pick and choose scheduled teams, keeping Swooners and Agroids and maybe Gaylor.............and have thier own TV network etc.............they tire of sharing revenue with the eleven little sisters. They lead all college football in marketing official logo sales, have identity everywhere and know how to win big games.........................they do well in all major sports.............(psst - they even have a BASEBALL team !)

CU to Pac 12..........good fit................Corn to Big 10.........good fit..........Swooners, Okielite, ISU , KU, KSU< Agroids and Gaylor, Tech could add TCU

They have more NFL players than any current school and get exposure that way too...................I expect them to try it, rather than dick around with other conference alignments

:rolling_eyes: :rofl2: :lol: :rolling_eyes:
They can talk all they want about going "national independent". Not going to happen. Notre Lame owns that side of the street, and once conference play starts for everybody else they get to fill out their schedule with teams like Army, Navy, BYU and Air Force every year. I'm sure Texass folks are convinced that USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida, Bama, LSU and every other top school is just dying to drop everything in the middle of conference play just to play them. Not going to happen. I'm sure wHorn fan would get really fired up after 5 or 6 straight years of closing out the season against New Mexico, TCU and Tulsa in November....

Going independent would be fantastic - for everybody else. I hope they do this. There's a reason Notre Lame is finally coming around to the idea that they may have to be in a conference.

:rolling_eyes: :rofl2: :lol: :rolling_eyes:
They can talk all they want about going "national independent". Not going to happen. Notre Lame owns that side of the street, and once conference play starts for everybody else they get to fill out their schedule with teams like Army, Navy, BYU and Air Force every year. I'm sure Texass folks are convinced that USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida, Bama, LSU and every other top school is just dying to drop everything in the middle of conference play just to play them. Not going to happen. I'm sure wHorn fan would get really fired up after 5 or 6 straight years of closing out the season against New Mexico, TCU and Tulsa in November....

Exactly. It sounds all great when considered in a vacuum, but this isn't a vacuum and you need quality annual opponents that make it a priority to schedule you, like Notre Dame had developed for decades and decades before the waves of conference alignments occured.

IMO, the only other teams that even have a slight chance of being equal or more successful financially by being independent in football would be: USC, BYU, and Air Force.

Air Force is easy because they get federal aid, are a national draw for fans, and have other distinct advantages, including rivalries with two other independents. Combining with the other service academies to get some of their games on national TV could provide a solid revenue base.

BYU is "Notre Dame"-lite in that they are a flagship school for a religion and therefore have a more national appeal. Regardless of their opponents, BYU will sell out their stadium and still be a decent TV drawing team. The main drawback for them is that the majority of the Mormon population is in the western U.S. region of Utah, California, Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona, with a good sized number in Texas and Oklahoma. That is a good regional draw, but not a "national" draw that would get them their own TV network.

The current deal for the MWC with the .mtn isn't exactly flowing with cash (around $1 to $1.2 million per year per team), so BYU or Air Force wouldn't have a huge hurdle to overcome to see a net gain.

USC and Miami are "high powered" football programs located in major metropolitan areas that recruit nationally and have national fan appeal. USC is the king of L.A. football and draws big crowds week-in-week-out. They are on another level compared to their conference mates in the Pac-10, any big bowl game would love to cut a deal with USC if they were independent and they could leverage their own TV network deal more than any other candidate, maybe even on NBC to pair up with Notre Dame (being 2 hour gap in time zones). The current Pac-10 contract is pretty crappy and almost entirely dependent upon the Trojans, so USC could easily make enough, or more, to make going independent a net gain.

USC would have the same issues that UT would have. They'd end up playing the likes of Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV every single year. Their SOS would take a nosedive. They'd be on TV a lot less, and they'd start to be much less attractive to potential recruits.

I have to say I'm getting a kick out of the hubris exhibited by the whorns here. To think that they could go independent is laughable. I hope they go.

USC would have the same issues that UT would have. They'd end up playing the likes of Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV every single year. Their SOS would take a nosedive. They'd be on TV a lot less, and they'd start to be much less attractive to potential recruits.

I have to say I'm getting a kick out of the hubris exhibited by the whorns here. To think that they could go independent is laughable. I hope they go.

I agree it would be hard for them too, but it would be a lot easier for USC to make it as an Indy than Texas.

Back