What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nebraska to 12 Pac? Husker fans invited to reply

USC would have the same issues that UT would have. They'd end up playing the likes of Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV every single year. Their SOS would take a nosedive. They'd be on TV a lot less, and they'd start to be much less attractive to potential recruits.

I have to say I'm getting a kick out of the hubris exhibited by the whorns here. To think that they could go independent is laughable. I hope they go.

Texas, while failing miserably if they go indy, would fare better than USC. At least the 25 mill in Texas would still follow the Horns because of Texas Pride. Texas apparel may sell well because it looks cool but most of those folks probably don't follow the team at all and just know the name from recent success. ND has the whole catholic thing going on and that will carry them in the lean years(as in the last 20).

If you think CU struggles with fan apathy, get a load of USC after a few mediocre seasons. That is a fair weather fan base if there ever was one. USC's fan base was in hibernation for about 15-20 years in the 80's & 90's and will be again.

I hate to say it but the beak is right about trojan fans.

Yes, he is. I remember seeing the Mausoleum in the late 80's, early 90's. It was the place NOT to be. If there was ever a team that needs to win to keep people's attention, it's USC.

Yes, he is. I remember seeing the Mausoleum in the late 80's, early 90's. It was the place NOT to be. If there was ever a team that needs to win to keep people's attention, it's USC.

they have improved the stadium a decent amount since then, they took out the track lowered the filed and added in some new seats closer to the field, it isn't a great place to play but for an old multipurpose stadium it inst bad.

I tend to think that Nebraska has a far better chance of receiving an invitation from the Big Ten over the Pac 10.

Also, contrary to a prior post, the Big Ten is in the proverbial catbird seat. They are the wealthiest, smartest and oldest conference around. Like it or not (and most Big XII folks hate it), they are calling the shots in terms of major NCAA realignment. Whether or not you think their football is up to snuff lately, they offer academic prestige and money that no other conference can match.

I tend to think that Nebraska has a far better chance of receiving an invitation from the Big Ten over the Pac 10.

Also, contrary to a prior post, the Big Ten is in the proverbial catbird seat. They are the wealthiest, smartest and oldest conference around. Like it or not (and most Big XII folks hate it), they are calling the shots in terms of major NCAA realignment. Whether or not you think their football is up to snuff lately, they offer academic prestige and money that no other conference can match.

How do you reconcile your first sentence with your last (except for the "up to snuff lately" part--that actually made sense)?

I'm not following?

Basically, I think the Big Ten has the ability to make the first move, i.e. many schools rumored to leave their current conferences have the BT on speed dial #1. Nebraska, KU and Mizzou would love to get into the Big Ten for the money and academic prestige it would afford them. The same is true for the Big East teams being rumored. Notre Dame is a bit different. They already think they are smarter and richer than the Big Ten, hence their hold-out.

How do you reconcile your first sentence with your last (except for the "up to snuff lately" part--that actually made sense)?

Ok, though I was referring to the BT as a whole.

But yes, that is definitely one of the hang-ups for inviting any of the Big 12 North teams to the Big Ten. They don't stack up academically. Perhaps their athletic traditions will rule the day...?

I think he was noticing the dichotomy between these elements in your post:

Nebraska and academic prestige

i don't think Texas has near the _national appeal_ that Texans think they do. people are not going to stop tuning into their regional conferences so they can watch UT.

until UT starts playing legit, inter-regional OOC games, 60% of their games as an indy would be against the same former SWC also-rans they play now. when everyone else plays Rice, it's a cupcake. on the UT boards when the horns play Rice, it's a "traditional SWC rivalry". getting "screwed" in 08 didn't even teach them...their future OOC's are just the same. the Ohio State series is the last decent team i can remember them playing OOC (Arkansas still falls in the trad SWC rivalry mindset). they would schedule a 2 maybe 3 game season (RRS, ATM, and maybe another legit game) with a view towards going 12-0 every year with a bunch of UTEP and North Texas type scalps. that's their fan mentality. the latter is one of the reasons i've always disliked UT immensely.

Last edited:
Back