1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negative Recruiting -- a few media examples

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by AlferdJasper, Oct 10, 2009.

1. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Found this interesting. Top recruits who don't pick Texas are cursed. :wow:
    Top recruits who didn't pick Texas

Have to give the author credit for this line, which cracked me up:

2. AlferdJasper

Terrell Pryor's College Choice called into question

After true freshman Tate Forcier shows well and top-ranked Pryor struggles, Michigan says Pryor got it wrong.

Side note. (Yes, Pryor is young, and someone ought to be "coaching" him about speaking with the media, too.)

Terrell Pryor on his idol, Michael Vicks:

3. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I'm not a believer in the Mack Brown curse (and while some sportswriters at the paper in question have been personal friends, they reach for any angle they can take to fill column space during football season, just like the big boys news in this town), but Mack's personal recruiting style is the opposite of Hawkins' so a lot of that plays into how he recruits and why so few players have actually waffled on their decision over the years. While Danny likes to give recruits time to think their decision over to make sure they're 100% on board with his pitch come Signing Day, MB is a hard sell to most by the summer before their senior year and wants them to already have their minds made up if they're committed to play for him. As you can see by Perilloux's life decisions and their consequences, he's not cursed. Just an idiot.

4. AlferdJasper

I don't beleive in the curse either ... the question is, can UT use this to convince recruits they are making a mistake (and not just against CU, which has a lot of things a college might "mention" when competing for a recruit.)

5. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Looks like just an excuse of an article to continue whining about Scott's decision. Adrian Peterson seems to have landed on his feet, and 3 names is hardly a trend, so the basic contention is, well, ridiculous.

6. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

The worst kind of negative recruiting isnt by word of mouth, its getting bitchslapped by Toledo on national tv.

7. aik

This. Also, I heard at lunch today that Bryce Givens also "jerked" with Texas during the recruiting process. I didn't believe it, saying I thought Nebraska was the only spurned party. Any truth to what I heard?

8. BuffLuKe

wouldnt be surprised, Texass is pretty attractive facilities and female wise. plus they usually win 10 games a year which we havent done in quite sometime.

9. AlferdJasper

They must still be pissed about Darrell's decision. :smile2:

Let's make it clear to DS how glad we are he's a buff. Give him the ball once or twice tonight?

10. BuffLuKe

what do you really mean by "jerked" tho? like entertaining he might go there or ****ing around with them what?

11. BuffLuKe

Like I said before, if DS is ever gonna break out, this is the game to do it.

12. aik

He was being lumped in with Scott and Katoa as guys Texas had a chance for and rumored he had even reported a Texas lean in his decision before choosing CU. I know he decommitted from Nebraska, but this could have been a silent commit or something that he changed? It wasn't an insider source, but I was just surprised because I had never known UT was in the running for Bryce.

13. BuffLuKe

He was one of the best Oline prospects in America so im not surprised if they took a late run. He probably visited and was euphoric for awhile? Honestly, if Texas really wanted him to go there, he would probably be there. With DS it was different because family was involved, otherwise i think he goes to Texas as well.

14. BuffLuKe

Before anyone says he shouldve, their rb's dont exactly tear it up.

15. AlferdJasper

If I notice any more articles, I'll add them.

We suspect that college staffs negative recruit, overtly and subtly. To be expected. But I was wondering if newspapers did, too.

One thought I had was that "some" teams have local reporters who may actually be pro=the local team. I can't imagine Henderson writing an article claiming that kids who don't choose CU are cursed, can you?

16. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Also, a number of the less reputable team site publishers for the major recruiting web sites get more involved in the process than they should. There's definitely influence going on, positive and negative.