What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nelson Spruce vs. Paul Richardson

Spruce or Richardson? Who's the better receiver?

• Nelson Spruce

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Paul Richardson

Votes: 40 83.3%

• Total voters
To me:

Tier 1 - Charles Johnson (my personal favorite), Westbrook, Branch, Pritchard, Dowler
Tier 2 - Hackett, Carruth (off field of course aside, otherwise, but him in hell), Richardson, and others
Tier 3 - Spruce, Savoy, and others
Tier 4 - everyone else that didn't suck

I think our decade of suckitude has made our recent good players great in people's eyes, numbers having gotten inflated.

How can you argue with stats?! All I'm saying isSpruce was the most productive receiver CU has ever had. I am not wrong.

One you didn't say most productive, you said best.

Two, I can argue with stats. Cody Hawkins owned most of the CU passing records until Sefo started picking some off. Does that make them great QBs?

The guys you are comparing Spruce to played in an era when CBs could mug WRs and on teams that threw the ball less in a game than the Buffs now throw it in a quarter, apples to oranges. On top of that most of those guys played on teams that had other options. With Spruce it was often him or nothing, the ball kept coming his way play after play.

To an extend PRich benefited from the same thing. In his era if CU was going to get a big play it was probably coming from PRich. Balancing that though was the fact that he played with a QB who wasn't a great downfield passer and an OL that rarely gave deep passing plays the time to develop. They were forced into throwing large numbers of quick, short patterns, Spruce type plays.

How can I argue with stats? Because I also know that Kordell Stewart was a better QB than Cody Hawkins.
That, the offenses are way different, the rules cater to the offense. I think Nelson is probably top 7 or 8 but my history doesn't go back too far. Is that fair? Top 10 perhaps?

To me:

Tier 1 - Charles Johnson (my personal favorite), Westbrook, Branch, Pritchard, Dowler
Tier 2 - Hackett, Carruth (off field of course aside, otherwise, but him in hell), Richardson, and others
Tier 3 - Spruce, Savoy, and others
Tier 4 - everyone else that didn't suck

I think our decade of suckitude has made our recent good players great in people's eyes, numbers having gotten inflated.

Looks good.

How can you argue with stats?! All I'm saying isSpruce was the most productive receiver CU has ever had. I am not wrong.
Apples and oranges in terms of eras and offenses. Hackett and McCoy caught a lot of passes from Klatt who threw fewer passes than Sefo, that doesn't make them the GOAT. Not a knock on Spruce, knock on your argument.

What? None of those guys were on Spuce's level. Spruce is the best receiver to ever come out of the University of Colorado.

Nelson Spruce is the best receiver we have ever produced, if I'm throwing a Hail Mary I want Spruce, Westbrook, or Pritchard to catch that ball. I don't trust any other guy. Spruce is the epitome of a "receiver'.

This is embarrassing.

If Flounder was an NFL executive he'd be Matt Millen.

There is no question that Charles Johnson, Michael Westbrook and Mike Pritchard are the 3 best I've seen play. (I was born in '73 so Cliff Branch's Buffs years were before my time.) Carruth and Richardson are right behind them. Hackett was a little more physically gifted than Spruce, but I'll put them at about the same level. Very good, but not in the conversation as GOAT.

This is embarrassing.

tropic_thunder_2.jpg

You never go full Flounder.

Whenever we have these kind of conversations, I feel the need to point out How incredible Mike Pritchard was.

why is charles johnson never talked about in the top tier. i might have been drunk - well, I definitely was - but I always thought that he was better than Westbrook as a college player

Back