1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nevada joining Mountain West

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by JimmyBuff, Aug 18, 2010.

1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

2. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

Great move by the MWC. It basically dares BYU to make the move and leaves them with slim pickings to fill its football schedule from the leftover WAC.

3. JimmyBuff

press conference on mtn channel right now. Just flipped it on and flipped it off since I don't care that much.. :lol:

4. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

:nod::lol:

5. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

6. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Interesting. I didn't expect this out of the MWC. Looks like they have more foresight than I gave them credit for.

7. JimmyBuff

craig thompson is a smart guy. Mountain West wasn't going anywhere and wasn't going to be topped by the WAC..

rumor is lousiana tech is about to bolt the WAC as well.

8. CsquaredCC

Most interesting is how quickly Nevada and Fresno State made the jump. They didn't even hesitate to accept once the bid was offered. Also read that Nevada never signed the $5 Million dollar buyout clause meaning they may be able to get out without penalty.

9. JimmyBuff

Hey I flipped it back on.. Fresno press conference on now.. We make fun of this channel but it is kind of cool that a conference has its own network. Can't wait for the Pac 12 channel so we could flip on the channel whenever news happens in the conference.

10. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

So the MWC is back to a nice, comfortable 10 teams for next year without BYU. And BYU is now left in a league for non-football sports of LA Tech, Idaho, Utah St., New Mexico St., Hawaii and San Jose State. And that assumes LA Tech doesn't just go ahead and jump to the Sun Belt with their peers in the Louisiana system, which would leave 5 WAC schools for football and pretty much no D-1 programs in the area for them to poach. On the plus side, they should be pretty much automatic for the NCAA basketball tourney if they can get past Stew Morrill and USU...

I'm sure the MWC would still prefer to bring BYU back into the fold. If they can, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take in Hawaii in order to get back to a more manageable 12 team league...

11. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I think it is a net loss for MWC if BYU doesn't come back. They pick up 2 teams who don't bring much to the table in revenue, yet they have 2 more mouths to feed. BYU brings a nice, national TV audience. It is a slight gain for the MWC if they keep BYU.

12. CsquaredCC

I can't imagine Hawaii being a part of that equation, but I can imagine a scenerio that includes Houston and SMU.

13. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't Commish Thompson's next stop.

Adding Hawaii to the MWC would probably keep BYU in the fold, as the Mormons have a huge presence there.

Splitting into divisions would be easy:

Pacific
    Hawaii
    San Diego State
    Fresno State
    Nevada
    UNLV
    Boise State

Mountain
    BYU
    Wyoming
    CSU
    Air Force
    New Mexico
    TCU

CCG in Vegas?

Takeover the Holiday Bowl as top bowl (since Pac-10 punked them anyway).

Probably can't get BCS AQ status unless they land 3-4 top 25 teams each year for the next 2 and crash the BCS at least once more.

Utah State, Idaho, San Jose State, New Mexico State, and Louisiana Tech would then probably try to petition the Conference USA West members to form a new version of the WAC, otherwise they could be forced to drop down to I-FCS, or petition the NCAA to give them an exemption and try to convince Montana to step up.

14. JimmyBuff

Throw in UTEP too since they have the Sun Bowl, Mountain West might be able to angle for a spot in that bowl in the future.

Tulsa could be a possibility as well.

15. CsquaredCC

As a side note how stupid does the Salt Lake City Tribune look right now? They are asking questions of Thompson right now....looks like their "done deal" proclamation wasn't exactly accurate. Thompson just told the reporter for the SLC that he wasn't sure what BYU was going to do, but quote "we all heard about about a press conference being scheduled for tomorrow and we saw how that turned out." He shouldn't have been that polite.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  16. CsquaredCC

I think UTEP is a possibility. My guess is that getting TCU some in-state rivalries is a priority right now if BYU leaves.

17. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

If BYU goes independent then I think they'll give serious consideration to the WCC for their other sports, that would make for a pretty good basketball conference as far as mid-majors go since they'd be joining Gonzaga and St. Mary's.