What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Basketball Roster

I have a feeling that Mills will give us some effective minutes as a senior this year.

You really get a kick out of baiting Goose don't you? :smile2:

exactly....my first thought was, "he's got to be trolling Goose"

What are you guys talking about? I thought that Goose was driving the Mills bandwagon these days.

And as long as we're talking about Mills, I want to re-iterate a point I had previously made: legit 7 footers are so rare that if Mills plays real minutes while showing offensive skills, there's a good chance an NBA team will spend a 2nd round pick on him in the next draft as a developmental project.

What are you guys talking about? I thought that Goose was driving the Mills bandwagon these days.

And as long as we're talking about Mills, I want to re-iterate a point I had previously made: legit 7 footers are so rare that if Mills plays real minutes while showing offensive skills, there's a good chance an NBA team will spend a 2nd round pick on him in the next draft as a developmental project.

The problem with Mills is that he hasn't really picked up much weight. Came in as an undersized big, and is still undersized even against underclassmen. Would need a Colton Iverson type turn around for him to be a 2nd round pick. There's quite a few legitimate 7 footers in college basketball, but you have to have the skills and weight to go along with it as well. I'd be okay with even 5-10 solid minutes from Mills to give Scott and Gordon some rest.

You really get a kick out of baiting Goose don't you? :smile2:

I was talking to JG about this there is actually a pretty consistent statistical "leap" with big men who stay this long. I wouldnt be surprised by anything, and in talking to 1 member of the staff I can tell you they expect big things from Ben this year. We should be prepared to watch him play 8-10 a game. The combo of his age the weight and strength gains he's made and our need to spell Scott will see him being fairly effective.

I suspect we will see Mills a lot in the early part of the season while guys like Thomas and Gordon get their game legs. By the time the conference games start, I think his minutes will drop unless he really shows something in those early games.

I was talking to JG about this there is actually a pretty consistent statistical "leap" with big men who stay this long. I wouldnt be surprised by anything, and in talking to 1 member of the staff I can tell you they expect big things from Ben this year. We should be prepared to watch him play 8-10 a game. The combo of his age the weight and strength gains he's made and our need to spell Scott will see him being fairly effective.

Yeah, from a seven-footer, you should expect "big things"---NPI, right?.

You hear coachs claim that for certain guys a "light clicks on" during their career and they realize what it takes to play at D1 and start to do it . Let's all hope it happens for Ben this year. Tad can teach "D", but he can't teach height.

Happy to hear this. He can alter shots in the paint, grab some boards and get some put backs. There'll be some facepalm moments I'm sure. Nobody on the team gets a rise out of the students quite like he does.

That 'statiscal leap' is what I'm thinking of with another 7 footer Boyle is recruiting right now. Although I'd hope it would come sooner given he's bigger than Mills before his senior year in high school started.

Coach Winters on Jelly Scott: " We're not doctors, gentlemen. The NCAA has testing programs for this. Let's let them worry about it. Besides, it's not that hard to put on 35 pounds in a summer, if you really hit the gym.

Coach Winters on Jelly Scott: " We're not doctors, gentlemen. The NCAA has testing programs for this. Let's let them worry about it. Besides, it's not that hard to put on 35 pounds in a summer, if you really hit the gym.

What?

Jelly Scott is Evolving...

Congratulations! Your Jelly Scott Evolved into
Muscle Scott!

Last edited:
What?

Congratulations! Your Jelly Scott Evolved into
Muscle Scott!
Pokebuff haha. From the great movie "the program" when they are discussing Lattimer's recent size increase.

If Gordon is only 6'9", then I'm the same height as wispy. Kid is almost 7'.

If Gordon is only 6'9", then I'm the same height as wispy. Kid is almost 7'.

That would be awesome. I think the big looming question on this team is how do they replace the rebound production of Roberson. I think they will do it. Between experienced guys like Scott, Johnson, and hopefully some of the newcomers. Who knows maybe Mills? Definitely, the guy I have my eye on is Wes Gordon. The guy has physical tools and skills to get it done on the defensive side of the ball and I am eager to seem him hit the court.

That would be awesome. I think the big looming question on this team is how do they replace the rebound production of Roberson. I think they will do it. Between experienced guys like Scott, Johnson, and hopefully some of the newcomers. Who knows maybe Mills? Definitely, the guy I have my eye on is Wes Gordon. The guy has physical tools and skills to get it done on the defensive side of the ball and I am eager to seem him hit the court.

it's definitely mills

Tad is sandbagging on Wesley. Every now and then he brings him up. In yesterday's post-practice interview (BuffStampede - you can probably find it on youtube), he was talking about his pressure defense and where he got the system -- bought a video by a D2 coach who developed it. Anyway, he was talking about who will do well in that defense. He absolutely lit up when he mentioned Wesley in this "D".

Look for big things from WG this season. He's going to be a monster on defense, the glass and a total glue guy on offense who sets great screens, passes well, can finish through contact and will knock down a mid-range jumper.

Tad spoke about Wesley again in today's post practice interview. Mostly about how he's going to block every shot that's near him.

Tad spoke about Wesley again in today's post practice interview. Mostly about how he's going to block every shot that's near him.

Cool. Need to check that out. The other thing Tad has said is that Wesley has that rare ability to challenge and block shots without fouling much.

Cool. Need to check that out. The other thing Tad has said is that Wesley has that rare ability to challenge and block shots without fouling much.
[video=youtube;ObWmtBdd3iA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObWmtBdd3iA[/video]

I cannot wait until Nov. 8th.....this team is going to be special

You can just feel it. Its all been building to this. This is the year Tad finally has his types of guys at all positions and quality depth along the entire bench. Some inexperience due to the amount of redshirt freshman and true freshman, but its tough to not be extremely excited for this team. I think we see an elite 8 from this group, and next year depending on who leaves and who stays... final four. Never thought I would see the day when a Final Four appearance is not just a pipe dream.

You can just feel it. Its all been building to this. This is the year Tad finally has his types of guys at all positions and quality depth along the entire bench. Some inexperience due to the amount of redshirt freshman and true freshman, but its tough to not be extremely excited for this team. I think we see an elite 8 from this group, and next year depending on who leaves and who stays... final four. Never thought I would see the day when a Final Four appearance is not just a pipe dream.

Let's not put NCAA Tournament performance expectations on them in the pre-season.

As I posted on Rivals, I see the goals as follows:

1. Get a top 4 seed to the Pac-12 tourney with that bye.
2. Make the Dance.

If that happens, just enjoy the ride.

Wow...I wasn't quite referring to an elite 8 and final four run...just that this group has turned a predominately football-driven state into one that will follow this team with great pride and hope. A Pac 12 championship (regular season or post season) is definitely achievable.

NCAA Tournament quite honestly depends on match ups. We get some good match ups and we can go far, bad match ups could get us bounced early.

Let's not put NCAA Tournament performance expectations on them in the pre-season.

As I posted on Rivals, I see the goals as follows:

1. Get a top 4 seed to the Pac-12 tourney with that bye.
2. Make the Dance.

If that happens, just enjoy the ride.

Top 4 seed definitely in the Pac. I want a top 2 finish though. Also I would love to win the Pac-12 Tourney again (we need another rock in the rafters)

Making the dance is also the new bar I think. It defines a bad season or good season for us. I don't think its out of line to suggest the team has the potential to be an elite 8 team. I don't know if I am to the point where I expect it though.

So excited for this season though.

Do I detect a bit of cockiness from Tad in the video? Almost like, "yeah, were going to be real good". I love it and can't wait!!!

We would be wise to pay heed to what Nik said. When you start saying "I want 28 wins and at least the Sweet 16" or something along those lines, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment.

Top 4 in the Pac, make our 3rd straight Dance.

It's fun to actually have a straightforward and candid coach. Unfortunately this isn't the norm, as most coaches spew BS and cliches.

I'm still in the transition mode that b-ball is competitive. I was on the same dorm floor as Rodell "House" Guest and Stevie Wise and enjoyed throwing some beers with those guys and watching their little run. But we have been so bad for so long, it has taken a bit for me to come around. My now 9yo daughter LOVED the game we went to last year and keeps asking when we will do it again, so I look forward to that.

We would be wise to pay heed to what Nik said. When you start saying "I want 28 wins and at least the Sweet 16" or something along those lines, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment.

Top 4 in the Pac, make our 3rd straight Dance.

Yeah, the tournament is such a crapshoot, that predicting a Sweet 16 appearance, can make someone lose sight of the rest of the team's accomplishments.

With that said, Tournament success is what I think really gets player's attention. It's certainly a goal of some players on the team (if not the whole team)

We are going to see how this team gels during the non-conf schedule to try and guess anything about how they will finish off the season. I would like to see a top 4 finish in the pac 12, as we've had 5th place on lock for the last 2 years after some inexplicable late season losses (OSU/UTAH this year, and I think OU/OSU the season before).

If these guys get on the same page, we could be looking at a mighty fine year. Even though I was at CU during bad bball days, I honestly expect this team to go dancing (as well as future teams of tads). Perhaps my expectations are high, we should have 3 consecutive dances for each of his seasons, but got screwed in '11.

As far as tourney runs, Im hoping for a sweet 16 - I think we were just too gassed in the pit and that canadian came out of nowhere and retreated just as quickly for us to overcome. Last year we had a good shot, but played too poorly to close out the first half and couldnt dig out. These things happen, but this year I think we will be able to make some good movement as long as dre's rebounds can get replaced. 12/gm is about 2.25 rebounds per person more than last season, but I think that wesley, jelly and probably XJ will be corralling most of the stuff off the glass.

Back