1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New basketball tradition? Do we stand until the other team scores a field goal?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The tradition has always been that we stand until CU scores.

I noticed at the game today that the arena announcer switched it up. He said that we should stand until the Buffs give up a basket.

This is in line with Boyle's emphasis on defense. At practices, when they scrimmage he gives points for defensive stops instead of for made field goals.

And it makes sense from a fan perspective, too. Just like in football, the team needs us standing and making noise when it's on defense.

I'm in favor of switching this up so that we stand and cheer the team on for as long as it gets stops on defense.

Thoughts?

2. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Well, if I lived there and had season tix - I'd be all for it. I'll tell my sis to do that when she gets to the games next.

3. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

Yeah they started this after the Harvard game. Nobody does it, but i think it's a really interesting way to "change the culture" so to speak

4. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i was eating nachos...kind of whiffed on the whole standing thing.

5. Buffnik

I'm just glad I wasn't sitting behind you... having to whiff on your arena nacho aftermath. :wink2:

6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Rugged and I were way to drunk to notice this. However, I'm all for it and 13 point victories over top 10 teams where they don't come closer than 8 the entire 2d half... That game was a ****ing blast. And that was with no students in town. When/if they show up, the keg is gonna explode!!!

7. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Tomorrow my friend is when everyone is back.

8. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

We're talking about basketball tradition at CU? Things they are a changin'

9. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

i say we stand until the supadupatubacheer happens...

10. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

We need to petition that they sell burritos at the Events Center. Those you can eat standing up, and besides... they are burritos!

11. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I am sensing something with basketball at CU...I believe we are on the verge of big things down the road.

12. Ocho-Buff

Ocho-Buff Club Member Club Member

Big things are already happening... and it began last year as far as the results go anyway, but now recruiting is there and yes, tradition... a new tradition, but a good tradition and positive vibes to be felt! Coors Events Center was rocking last year for KU, BU, K-State games, including the wins over BU and K-State, and now that will continue this year and started with 9,000 fans, approximately, out of 11,000 capacity at the Mizzou game. let's just keep doing what we have going and see where it leads us... As for as the standing for defense at the beginning idea... I have been to every game this year (and last), but I didn't even notice the change lol.... I like it the way it was before, standing just until we score.... then on defense... we get the crowd up to cheer and make some solid noise when we want or need a big stop! That's when we shake up the place... When it counts the most. :) Gotta save some energy right? I don't think we'd get everyone to be on their feet alllll game.. but when it counts. Go Buffs!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  13. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I just hope Burks stays through his senior year. I don't think he will but it would be nice to say the least.

14. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

We can only hope.

15. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

it's a law of diminishing returns of a sort.....the more games like 35 against the #9 team in the nation the better it is for CU this year....but more for the NBA for Alec come next. AB in the League can only help recruiting down the road, so it's mostly win-win....or at least one of the those problems that's good to have.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  16. Buffnik

Alec needs to do what's best for Alec.

On the one hand, he would benefit from a year in the weight room before entering the NBA. There is also the labor issue hanging out there, so it may not be the best year to come out.

On the other hand, if he can get picked in the first round (especially in the lottery), he'll be a multi-millionaire and be living the dream. Boyle can use that in recruiting.

I just don't want to see Burks leave to become a 2nd round pick. I'm hoping that he takes that next step and leads the Buffs to a lot of big wins this season like he did on Saturday, gets us into the NCAA tourney, and cements himself as a lottery pick.