What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Basketball/Volleyball Facility

I meant to post the pics I took yesterday. I got a few other angles I might put up later. It's really nice to see all things athletic moving forward these days though. Even if it's just big holes and piles of dirt at this point.

We had better be competitive in basketball and volleyball....this is the Pac-10, Baby!!!!!!!

Not to be a dick...but, are you kidding me? At this rate, we will have a new facility in ten years. Throw a buttload more equipment and headcount at this project, for God's sake...

Not to be a dick...but, are you kidding me? At this rate, we will have a new facility in ten years. Throw a buttload more equipment and headcount at this project, for God's sake...

They just got started in earnest. They had to wait till finals and high school graduations were over. Slow down, they have a schedule.

They just got started in earnest. They had to wait till finals and high school graduations were over. Slow down, they have a schedule.

Do we know what that schedule is? When is this thing supposed to be completed? Anybody know?

Thanks for the update, Golden. Rep to you.

I went ahead and merged it with the stickied thread.

Do we know what that schedule is? When is this thing supposed to be completed? Anybody know?

April 2010, they will likely do most of the heavy lifting this summer before school starts, then they will finish up the rest during the winter. They will need to finish a lot of it during the summer because once school starts it is much harder to to do work, and they will not be able to do too much when Basketball season starts. We should see most of the structure up before the season starts

April 2010, they will likely do most of the heavy lifting this summer before school starts, then they will finish up the rest during the winter. They will need to finish a lot of it during the summer because once school starts it is much harder to to do work, and they will not be able to do too much when Basketball season starts. We should see most of the structure up before the season starts

April 2010 was two months ago. Are you sure that's not when they said they're starting?

Per the BG Brooks article from back in March .................. "scheduled for completion in August 2011, "

Yeah, B.G. has it. They want it to be done before the fall semester of next year. Lets hope for a mild winter.

Yeah, B.G. has it. They want it to be done before the fall semester of next year. Lets hope for a mild winter.

The only stuff you can't do in the Winter is excavation & foundation. They're excavating right now, and I suspect that foundation will be completed by the end of the summer.

So i was walking by the CECC today and noticed that one of the doors was open. I poked my head in and saw construction starting to hang something from the ceiling of the building. Does anybody know if thats where they're planning to put the new scoreboards?

I think I heard somewhere that the video scoreboards are going to be part of the "practice facility upgrades"

I think I heard somewhere that the video scoreboards are going to be part of the "practice facility upgrades"

Indeed they are. There's a mockup of what they expect them to look like in the construction bid forms. From the CU facilities page:

scoreboard..jpg

It will be a nice improvement, but I wish we could have just gotten a center scoreboard.

It will be a nice improvement, but I wish we could have just gotten a center scoreboard.

I know that Bohn really wants one and would totally put one in if he could. The issue is that the roof might not be able to support the weight of a massive videoboard hanging off of it. If it could, he would put one in. At least, that's what he told us in KC for the past 2 years.

I know that Bohn really wants one and would totally put one in if he could. The issue is that the roof might not be able to support the weight of a massive videoboard hanging off of it. If it could, he would put one in. At least, that's what he told us in KC for the past 2 years.

I do believe him on that, but I don't believe there is nothing you can do to strengthen the structure for it. I'm sure it was looked into, I just think if you really want something, you get **** done.

I do believe him on that, but I don't believe there is nothing you can do to strengthen the structure for it. I'm sure it was looked into, I just think if you really want something, you get **** done.

I would be INCREDABLY suprised if there was anything to do to strengthen the structure. The CEC is a glorified dome, that roof likly can barely hold up its own weight, and to strengthen it would be pretty close to impossible without tearing down the roof and rebuilding it. Next time you are in there look at the strucure, there are no true structural beams in the entire roof, I would imagine they probably have limits to how many people can be on those walkways, and I am sure there is some facilities guy worried at every large snow.

I would be INCREDABLY suprised if there was anything to do to strengthen the structure. The CEC is a glorified dome, that roof likly can barely hold up its own weight, and to strengthen it would be pretty close to impossible without tearing down the roof and rebuilding it. Next time you are in there look at the strucure, there are no true structural beams in the entire roof, I would imagine they probably have limits to how many people can be on those walkways, and I am sure there is some facilities guy worried at every large snow.

so run a beam from one end to the other and hang the video scoreboard from that. It doesn't have to be hanging from the ceiling.

If we were drawing better, I'd suggest taking the roof off and adding a second level. With the new roof, make it structurally able to support a large mid-court scoreboard. Might as well dream big, right?

Back