What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Basketball/Volleyball Facility

If we were drawing better, I'd suggest taking the roof off and adding a second level. With the new roof, make it structurally able to support a large mid-court scoreboard. Might as well dream big, right?

you know I was thinking the same thing. build a new shell around the whole building going the whole nine yards. flagstone, red tile. make it look nice, then you can tear down the existing roof and walls. We can leave the whole concourse open and move the restrooms to the new exterior walls.

I would be INCREDABLY suprised if there was anything to do to strengthen the structure. The CEC is a glorified dome, that roof likly can barely hold up its own weight, and to strengthen it would be pretty close to impossible without tearing down the roof and rebuilding it. Next time you are in there look at the strucure, there are no true structural beams in the entire roof, I would imagine they probably have limits to how many people can be on those walkways, and I am sure there is some facilities guy worried at every large snow.

I'm no engineer, but there has to be something that could have been done.

so run a beam from one end to the other and hang the video scoreboard from that. It doesn't have to be hanging from the ceiling.

If you hung a beam from that height the scoreboard would be hit consistantly while playing volleyball, and think of the leverage that would be on a beam spaning that. I would also be willing to say there is likely no where they would be able to anchor the beams. The wall would have to be built to withstand that kind of load. Yes it is all doable, anything is doable, but at what cost? I would say that if you were going to go through the hastle with building beams across you may as well use Sakman's suggestion and add a new level, the cost would probably not be too far off.

Overall its probably much better to just do it the way they are doing it now.

But as far as other improvements, what about some better lighting, that court always seemed pretty yellow and dull to me

How did the good news of adding video and ribbon boards turn into a bitchfest over what we don't have?

This is America. We ****ing Do **** Goddammit, and I want a huge ****ing video screen!

I completely agree, but lets not pull a Hyatt Regency

bridges_down_03.jpg

114 dead, largest structural collapse in the US until the WTC

I'm no engineer, but there has to be something that could have been done.

FYI, I am a engineer

Whatever, glorified construction worker. :smile2:

This is America. We ****ing Do **** Goddammit, and I want a huge ****ing video screen!

And bacon!!

How did the good news of adding video and ribbon boards turn into a bitchfest over what we don't have?

It is a great start. Just looking toward the future possibilities.

We put a man on the moon, goddamit, and now they're trying to tell us there's no way to hang up a ****ing scoreboard in a goddamn arena??? That's just crazy defeatist loser talk there!!

I like the idea of building a new shell around the building, lifting the roof, adding a second deck. And we should also fit it for hockey while we're in there. I see no reason this can't be done before we move to the 12-Pac. Who's with me!!!! :woot:

We put a man on the moon, goddamit, and now they're trying to tell us there's no way to hang up a ****ing scoreboard in a goddamn arena??? That's just crazy defeatist loser talk there!!

I like the idea of building a new shell around the building, lifting the roof, adding a second deck. And we should also fit it for hockey while we're in there. I see no reason this can't be done before we move to the 12-Pac. Who's with me!!!! :woot:

I'm with you!!!!!

ummmm. who's going to pay for this, again? Just askin'.

I'm with you!!!!!

ummmm. who's going to pay for this, again? Just askin'.

I believe women's basketball. I heard they doubled their season ticket base since Lappe was hired. :wink2:

Seriously, though, I think it's great that we're making significant improvements that will give our teams a great place to practice and our fans a much better place to enjoy a game (and it should look a lot better on tv now, too).

If we were drawing better, I'd suggest taking the roof off and adding a second level. With the new roof, make it structurally able to support a large mid-court scoreboard. Might as well dream big, right?

not a bad idea sacky...

[video=youtube;Z0HM0RtRv-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0HM0RtRv-E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0HM0RtRv-E[/video]

Here you go

Scoreboard System Upgrade

Go down to the end to Specification Section 116643 and it has the specs on the scoreboard system. That is, if you are really bored. Otherwise, there isn't much to see. This is just the Project Manual and doesn't have any drawings. There is a rendering on the front few pages though.

Last edited:
Minimum Active Viewing Area: Approximately 10’6" in height and 19’ 0" in length.

It looks like they are getting two displays, which will replace the etc-a-sketch crap they have now.

okay we need pics of the construction, they have to be pouring some concrete right now.

Wasn't that building sitting on the top of the cliffs above Normandy?

Back