What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Bowl & Championship Format

Math works. Money doesn't. The two "byes" are two premium games that are never played. I like it, but we'll never see it.
ah, well, I wasn't worried about the $. Compared to the current system, my ideal would be a bonanza. Could it make more? Yes, a lot more. But I was talking about ideal way to determine a champion in CFB.

Of course if we go to a 4 team playoff, we will essentially already have an 8 team playoff because off CCGs in the major conferences, so don't need more than 4 as it is.

MMM splain to me how 24 is a power of 2?

Lots of playoff formats have first round byes for a number of teams. 16 play first round, winners play the top eight seeds. NCAA basketball did that a long time back.

To me the whole thing is BS but the screaming would be loud every year from the teams who see themselves as being the first ones left out.

“My opinion is people want to see the best four teams play,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said after playing in the Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge celebrity golf tournament in Greensboro, Ga.
“I don’t think we need to be watering it down with ‘You need to win a [conference] championship’ … they want to see the best four teams play.”

“My opinion is people want to see the best four teams play,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said after playing in the Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge celebrity golf tournament in Greensboro, Ga.
“I don’t think we need to be watering it down with ‘You need to win a [conference] championship’ … they want to see the best four teams play.”

Can we say self serving?

Go root for your high school team then. Should be safe there from all of us moronic fans. I go out of my way at CU games to help reverse CU's bad fan reputation undeniably created and perpetuated by CU students and soon to be alums. Now end threadjack.

Oh and Go Buffs!

So you're the dick that's been destroying our image. I suggest that in the future you remember and consider the unofficial CU motto: "Here come the assholes."

It may well be but I agree with it. Take the top 4 BCS ranked teams, no conference champion auto bids.

A system whereby you take the winners of the four major bowls would have the same effect, and would still allow those conference winners to have their shot.

A system whereby you take the winners of the four major bowls would have the same effect, and would still allow those conference winners to have their shot.

It wouldn't necessarily have the same effect. Let's say a 7-5 team wins one of these hokey CCG's thereby getting an auto bid to one of the 4 major bowls. Then that same team wins their major bowl game and now they're suddenly one of the 4 teams in the playoff just because they won 2 games at the right time. This is why there should be no auto bids into the 4-team playoff.

It wouldn't necessarily have the same effect. Let's say a 7-5 team wins one of these hokey CCG's thereby getting an auto bid to one of the 4 major bowls. Then that same team wins their major bowl game and now they're suddenly one of the 4 teams in the playoff just because they won 2 games at the right time. This is why there should be no auto bids into the 4-team playoff.

^^This^^

As much as possible you have to protect the integrity of the regular season. Should be the top 4. I would say the top 4 but must have also won their conference.

In that case, your 9-5 team would have won two straight games (CCG & Bowl) against Top 10 teams and would need to win the next 2 against Top 3 teams in order to finish 11-5 with a championship. That's the most unlikely scenario for a champion (for a decent regular season team to become great at the end), but if it happened I think it would be fun and I'd be completely fine with it. Just as I was fine with it when the Steelers, Giants and Packers won the Superbowl.

In that case, your 9-5 team would have won two straight games (CCG & Bowl) against Top 10 teams and would need to win the next 2 against Top 3 teams in order to finish 11-5 with a championship. That's the most unlikely scenario for a champion (for a decent regular season team to become great at the end), but if it happened I think it would be fun and I'd be completely fine with it. Just as I was fine with it when the Steelers, Giants and Packers won the Superbowl.

This isn't the NFL playoffs and a college playoff shouldn't be anything like that when it comes to how the teams qualify for the playoff. That 9-5 team doesn't deserve a shot at the national title, period.

Just put the 4 top teams from the regular season into a playoff regardless of whether they're all from different conferences or not.

Last edited:
This isn't the NFL playoffs and a college playoff shouldn't be anything like that when it comes to how the teams qualify for the playoff. That 9-5 team doesn't deserve a shot at the national title, period.

Just put the 4 top teams from the regular season into a playoff regardless of whether they're all from different conferences or not.

ymssr

And you took the outlier. At least a conference championship is an objective criteria. You're saying that the opinions of the grad assistants who fill out the Coach's Poll should carry all the weight.

The problem with choosing the 'top four teams' is that it is inherently subjective. The requirement that you must win your conference makes the criteria more objective.

The problem with choosing the 'top four teams' is that it is inherently subjective. The requirement that you must win your conference makes the criteria more objective.

Which is why you simply take the four winners of the major bowls for the playoff.

And you took the outlier. At least a conference championship is an objective criteria. You're saying that the opinions of the grad assistants who fill out the Coach's Poll should carry all the weight.
Nope, go back to the old BCS formula just after they dropped margin of victory.

OK so I have some things I wanted to say... sorry if they are repeats from earlier...... I am all for the plus one system but I think any expansion beyond that fundamentally destroys what I think we all love about the game. I love that every game makes a difference in college football. I would hate to see the day college football teams start resting players the last week cause they know they are in the playoffs. I love that when a 9-0 team plays a 9-0 team in Nov it is essentially a play in to the national title. It would suck knowing no matter what both teams are in. (for example how much excitement would have been lost when bama played LSU in the regular season knowing the winner AND loser would almost be promised a spot in the playoffs 3 weeks later?) The passion of college football is what makes the game great and anything that diminishes that sucks. I understand what some people are trying to say when they say they want a 16 team playoff, but if you want that just go watch the NFL. Enjoy the lack of caring after week 12, enjoy the division championships not meaning a damn thing (in college would be conferences not meaning a damn thing). Also I know people will disagree but what we have now is NOT that bad. Critics argue all the time that screwed everyone... but end of the day it did its job MOST years (not all). Almost every year the best teams played for or won the title. There are some exceptions like NU playing in 2001, or Auburn not playing when they went undefeated. But a plus one eliminates that rare occasion without diluting the meaning of the regular season or the other bowls. I for one just cannot believe the #6,7 or 8 team deserves a shot at the title so why include them in a playoff? Look at this year, the 8th team would be Arkansas. Are you telling me 3rd best in a conference gets to play for a NC when they cannot be 1st or even 2nd in their own conference? I looked back over the past 10 years and I can honestly say I don't think there is a single year when a team outside the top 4 had a LEGIT claim to play in the NC. Because of all these reasons I think a playoff is not only not needed but a terrible idea, and I don't love the BCS but it did its job MOST of the time, adding a plus one is a good idea cause I think it eliminates the rare exception.

Now how to make it feasible..... I am with the people who say make it the top 4 period. I don't want the #2 team (as would be have been the case this year with bama) getting excluded cause #1 was from same conference. If they are #2 I assume they deserve to be there. I think the BCS should add up 2 more bowls. Each major conference has a "home" bowl and if are #1 or #2 you play at your home bowl for the semi and a national championship game in a host city 2 weeks later. I've heard arguments that this gives an advantage to the higher ranked school (for example LSU playing in Sugar Bowl). I say HELL YEAH IT DOES!!! That's the benefit of being undefeated and being #1 or #2!! That's the beauty of college football....... The regular season actually matters. Yes its true whatever bowl picks up the big east or ACC has less of a shot at hosting a semi game... but whatever you still get the chance to have 2 very good team play in your bowl. Last change is get rid of the conference champion guarantee to play in the BCS. UCONN had no business there. Teams like Pitt 2 years ago had no business there. I say conference champs are guaranteed IF they are top 10 maybe top 15. This way we would never again have to see OU vs UCONN as a "marquee" BCS matchup. This would also be more enticing for the BCS bowl getting "stuck with the big east/ACC champ cause they would know if that champ wasn't a top 10 team the bowl committee gets it pick of whoever it wants and it can create some really unique match ups. Sorry for the really long post... Had a lot of thoughts I had and wanted to say so just thought I'd put it all in one long ass one.... hope it all made some sense cause it made sense in my head.

Because all conferences are not created equal.

The proposal I liked the best was it would be the 4 highest ranked conference champions from the Power 6... unless there weren't 4 ranked in the Top 6. If that was the case, the highest ranked non-champion would move into the mix.

I could easily see a scenario where a USC-Oregon or Florida-Alabama conference championship game knocked the loser from an undefeated #1 to a 1-loss #4 ranking. It would suck if that team got excluded from the tourney by a conference champion that wasn't ranked in the Top 6.

OK so I have some things I wanted to say... sorry if they are repeats from earlier...... I am all for the plus one system but I think any expansion beyond that fundamentally destroys what I think we all love about the game. I love that every game makes a difference in college football. I would hate to see the day college football teams start resting players the last week cause they know they are in the playoffs. I love that when a 9-0 team plays a 9-0 team in Nov it is essentially a play in to the national title. It would suck knowing no matter what both teams are in. (for example how much excitement would have been lost when bama played LSU in the regular season knowing the winner AND loser would almost be promised a spot in the playoffs 3 weeks later?) The passion of college football is what makes the game great and anything that diminishes that sucks. I understand what some people are trying to say when they say they want a 16 team playoff, but if you want that just go watch the NFL. Enjoy the lack of caring after week 12, enjoy the division championships not meaning a damn thing (in college would be conferences not meaning a damn thing). Also I know people will disagree but what we have now is NOT that bad. Critics argue all the time that screwed everyone... but end of the day it did its job MOST years (not all). Almost every year the best teams played for or won the title. There are some exceptions like NU playing in 2001, or Auburn not playing when they went undefeated. But a plus one eliminates that rare occasion without diluting the meaning of the regular season or the other bowls. I for one just cannot believe the #6,7 or 8 team deserves a shot at the title so why include them in a playoff? Look at this year, the 8th team would be Arkansas. Are you telling me 3rd best in a conference gets to play for a NC when they cannot be 1st or even 2nd in their own conference? I looked back over the past 10 years and I can honestly say I don't think there is a single year when a team outside the top 4 had a LEGIT claim to play in the NC. Because of all these reasons I think a playoff is not only not needed but a terrible idea, and I don't love the BCS but it did its job MOST of the time, adding a plus one is a good idea cause I think it eliminates the rare exception.

Now how to make it feasible..... I am with the people who say make it the top 4 period. I don't want the #2 team (as would be have been the case this year with bama) getting excluded cause #1 was from same conference. If they are #2 I assume they deserve to be there. I think the BCS should add up 2 more bowls. Each major conference has a "home" bowl and if are #1 or #2 you play at your home bowl for the semi and a national championship game in a host city 2 weeks later. I've heard arguments that this gives an advantage to the higher ranked school (for example LSU playing in Sugar Bowl). I say HELL YEAH IT DOES!!! That's the benefit of being undefeated and being #1 or #2!! That's the beauty of college football....... The regular season actually matters. Yes its true whatever bowl picks up the big east or ACC has less of a shot at hosting a semi game... but whatever you still get the chance to have 2 very good team play in your bowl. Last change is get rid of the conference champion guarantee to play in the BCS. UCONN had no business there. Teams like Pitt 2 years ago had no business there. I say conference champs are guaranteed IF they are top 10 maybe top 15. This way we would never again have to see OU vs UCONN as a "marquee" BCS matchup. This would also be more enticing for the BCS bowl getting "stuck with the big east/ACC champ cause they would know if that champ wasn't a top 10 team the bowl committee gets it pick of whoever it wants and it can create some really unique match ups. Sorry for the really long post... Had a lot of thoughts I had and wanted to say so just thought I'd put it all in one long ass one.... hope it all made some sense cause it made sense in my head.

Don't agree with all of it (a team should have to win their conference, especially now that we have conference championship games that guarantee that if you play well enough you get a shot at the conference championship) but most of the rest is right on spot.

No matter what system you have there will always be somebody with an argument. I much prefer what makes college football unique, the value of the regular season and every regular season game. Start having 8 team playoffs and you have teams that don't deserve to be called "the best team for that year" in contention.

So you're putting the championship team selection in the hands of the bowls?

Sure. The way it would work is you'd have the P12/B10 champ in the Rose Bowl, the B12 champ in the Fiesta, The SEC champ in the Sugar, and the ACC champ in the Orange. That leaves three bowls to pick from the next highest ranked teams. That way, the conference champs all get their shot, as do the really good teams that got beaten early in the year and didn't win their conferences, but were still very highly ranked. It preserves the bowl system and brings back a lot of the stuff we all love about the bowl system (New Year's day games, the Rose Bowl tradition, etc), while allowing outlier teams to stake their legitimate claim to the national championship. It's so perfect, it will never be implemented.

Back