What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Buffs Uni's

Right now, given the current "cupboard is bare" status of the program thanks to the former regime, CU should grab for talent however they can get it. I'd love it if every kid who came here took a lot of pride in wearing Colorado across their chest, but those are fewer and farther between these days.

Sometimes, talent wins out. I'd love to have the whole program full of really talented kids with awesome work ethics (on the field and in the books) whose hearts are fully committed to being Buffs for their entire careers. That isn't reality. We have to lure talent into this program. Therefore, you have to utilize some tactics to effectively recruit that talent.

Iowa also gets 3-4 kids each year who are Rivals 4-star kids, so they aren't exactly doing it without any talent.

Don't get me wrong. I love our helmets. LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, and Miami are all on that list too (and all above us <wrongly>) but LSU did Nike Pro Combat last year and the other 3 are all doing it this year. They are all doing different helmets with the Nike Pro Combat gear for a game this season (except LSU).

yep, let them get their "heart" for Colorado by living and playing here for 4 or 5 years. How many former out of state players now live in Colorado? A LOT! Also Alfred Williams was set to go to Georgia and decided to take a visit here. He said once he drove over the hill on 36 and saw the town with the flatirons he was in love right then!

All I see in those rankings are very mediocre seasons. What # class did Alabama have in 2005-2008 before they won their national title? What about USC when they won theirs? Texas? Auburn (may be a bad example though)? Can stars be looked at too much? Sure. But more often than not, the 4* and 5* guys are the ones who lead their team to being a great team. But you need 4 or 5* players at key positions (QB, WR, RB, etc) to be great, and that's what the top teams have done. Now of course you need coaching but the 4* and 5* players are the ones you build a program off of other wise they wouldn't be so highly regarded.

All I see in those rankings are very mediocre seasons. What # class did Alabama have in 2005-2008 before they won their national title? What about USC when they won theirs? Texas? Auburn (may be a bad example though)? Can stars be looked at too much? Sure. But more often than not, the 4* and 5* guys are the ones who lead their team to being a great team. But you need 4 or 5* players at key positions (QB, WR, RB, etc) to be great, and that's what the top teams have done. Now of course you need coaching but the 4* and 5* players are the ones you build a program off of other wise they wouldn't be so highly regarded.

USC
2002 - 13
2003 - 3
Won championship in 2004

Texas
2002 - 1
2003 - 15
2004 - 10
Won championship in 2005

Florida
2002 - 20
2003 - 2
2004 - 7
2005 - 15
2006 - 2
2007 - 1
Won championship in 2006 and 2008

LSU
2003 - 1
2004 - 2
2005 - 22
2006 - 7
Won championship in 2007

Alabama
2005 - 18
2006 - 11
2007 - 10
2008 - 1
Won championship in 2009

Auburn
2006 - 10
2007 - 7
2008 - 20
2009 - 19
Won championship in 2010

To your point, it seems that based on the above there is SOME correlation between recruiting success (as defined by grades given by Rivals) and winning national championships.

Back