What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New "Clear Bag" Policy at Folsom

Ok, my "negates all the good stuff" was hyperbole. But it was done for a reason. This is a really bad idea. I mean, dreadfully bad. I am struggling with why they came to the conclusion that it was necessary in the first place. What do they honestly hope to accomplish?

My guess: one or both of 1) the insurance company or Argus suggesting or requiring this and/or 2) data from other Pac-12 teams that have done this showing a significant increase of in-stadium concession sales after they made the change.

Ok, my "negates all the good stuff" was hyperbole. But it was done for a reason. This is a really bad idea. I mean, dreadfully bad. I am struggling with why they came to the conclusion that it was necessary in the first place. What do they honestly hope to accomplish?
They are just following the NFL. If the League does it, colleges will follow suit eventually. Just like the wear pink in October trend. Once enough schools adopted the policy, it becomes a standard. You can e-mail until you wear your keyboard out, it won't make a bit of difference IMO. Everybody just has to decide how much more BS they will put up with to see a game live, I guess.

Make sure you email this to RG

I started with my main contact at the foundation once he and I talk I plan continue to escalate it. One of the things that is also really stupid about this is that the gate that back up are the ones on the south end where students come in, students are the lowest % of bag carries and the highest % of sneaker-ins of booze.

As noted by Nik above my guess is also that its a third party driving this - if nothing else i want to make them tell me who and why.

So when you go to the bookstore in the stadium and by $100's of gear, what is that bag going to look like?

To each his own, I guess. IMO, college football games aren't really newborn, infant, or even toddler friendly events, for many of the exact things people have complained will be harder or impossible to do with this new policy. The CU football program has been lacking in solid attendance long enough, and frankly, has had a very G5 atmosphere to most games that has created a more "family friendly" environment. Maybe RG and the AD are a few years premature in implementing this policy, but with the idea that this team will turn it around on the field and that will translate into more 50k+ attendance games rather than 30k+, I simply don't believe they are trying to cater to families that need diapers, pacifiers, wipes, safety ear muffs, multiple bottles for feeding, and a changing kit.

I've been taking my kids to games since they were little kids. My oldest moves into Farrand tomorrow as a freshmen and had no desire to look at any other colleges. CU should be creating policies to encourage more families to attend, not make it harder for them. Getting families into games creates the generations of fans (and donors) that CU lacks.

The needs of the fans are different in an outdoor venue in a cold weather state. Nobody needs to carry a blanket with them when they go to a game in Los Angeles or Lubbock. Those are not locations CU should look to for examples of stadium policies.

The volume of a change of clothes for your toddler looks very different when the game temperature is expected to be 80-90 degrees than it does when the temperature is expected to go from 75 down to 45 when the sun goes down. And the volume increases even more when kickoff is expected be in the low-40s, and then go down from there.

Hell, the volume of accouterments your wife needs is much different in the above weather scenarios.

This is the type of policy that seems reasonable when you look out your office window and the sun is shining and it's 90 degrees, but then you find out it's a disaster when the wind is blowing and the temperature is 36.

I am struggling to respond to your take, logically:
- Franklin is has lots families on game day, granted many are slightly older children but they are under sold and people like me aren't just going to pay those bills until my kids are old enough not to need things.
- The younger you get kids into the games the more they want to come my 4 year old asks in the summer when we can go to football games.
- Running business that relies of recurring revenue streams why would you want to force a number of your good customers away from the stadium: ex: You are single or married no kids you come up and tailgate and go to tons of games, you then have a kid and you are supposed to take 3 years off? what if you have a second kid take 5 years off? lose your standing for priority and not be able to buy decent seats in the future ? And worst for CU maybe decide you know what i don't need season tickets any more it was a silly luxury I can do 1 game a year. hypothetically what % of people who make the decision to drop tickets come back after being gone for 3+ years? I dont know but its got to be less than 70%).

Or I could just be a dick and say do you have no idea what my ticket and donation bills to CU look like, its safely more in a season than you spend in 10 years.
You could, but then you'd be that guy that compares income in an attempt to prove a point...

As to everything prior to that statement, all I will say is fair enough. Maybe my opinion on this matter will change when I have kids, if I decide they need to be apart of going to games when they're still in diapers. I've been going to games with my dad since I was 7 or 8 years old and somehow, we always seemed to have everything we needed by carrying a jacket (gloves and a hat inside the pockets if there was potential for cold weather), and a seat back. We've even smuggled some hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps or whiskey in a thermos.

The needs of the fans are different in an outdoor venue in a cold weather state. Nobody needs to carry a blanket with them when they go to a game in Los Angeles or Lubbock. Those are not locations CU should look to for examples of stadium policies.

The volume of a change of clothes for your toddler looks very different when the game temperature is expected to be 80-90 degrees than it does when the temperature is expected to go from 75 down to 45 when the sun goes down. And the volume increases even more when kickoff is expected be in the low-40s, and then go down from there.

Hell, the volume of accouterments your wife needs is much different in the above weather scenarios.

This is the type of policy that seems reasonable when you look out your office window and the sun is shining and it's 90 degrees, but then you find out it's a disaster when the wind is blowing and the temperature is 36.
Bonus points for using the word: accouterments.

This policy is making me have second thoughts about having children. I don't like having to carry my keys and wallet everywhere and now you guys are telling me kids require blankets, diapers, change of clothes, etc if they're out of the house for multiple hours smh.

You parents are the real MVP.

This policy is making me have second thoughts about having children. I don't like having to carry my keys and wallet everywhere and now you guys are telling me kids require blankets, diapers, change of clothes, etc if they're out of the house for multiple hours smh.

when they are real young you also get to feed them every three or so hours

Basketball games are much easier than football games. 2 hours vs 3 hours. Indoors vs outdoors. I've given up on football and my son is 8 this year. It's just a pain in the ass and I don't enjoy the game.

One thing they should do assuming this policy sticks (and it likely will) is do a decent job of communicating this out and also send people out tot eh parking lots to sell these bags.

Basketball games are much easier than football games. 2 hours vs 3 hours. Indoors vs outdoors. I've given up on football and my son is 8 this year. It's just a pain in the ass and I don't enjoy the game.
Either do the fans in your surrounding section! Leave the kids at home!

Yeah you say that, we were in Albuquerque at the Pit for an NCAA regional. Anyway, dude makes a steal and just dunks the hell outta it, my son about lost it. I spent the rest of the game carrying him around. That place can get loud though.

When I took my younger kids to games, we only did it early in the season when it was warm. I didn't deal with toddlers and cold weather. That helps cut Abs list of stuff in half. Next season, when the youngest is no longer bottle fed, he'll be able to cut more items.

That said. I think this policy is like TSA security theatre. It doesn't really prevent anything from getting into the stadium if someone is determined to get it in.

I'd really like to know the following:
1) What data on security improvement led to the decision to implement this policy, or was it simply following the "best practices" standard set by the NFL as recommended by the Department of Homeland Security?
2) How has the data shown that the NFL clear bag policy has decreased the number of terror attacks in stadiums (which was previously zero)?
3) How many additional entry lines and security screeners are they planning to add to offset the increased security screening times that adding this policy will incur?
4) Why are security policies being implemented that discriminate primarily against women and children when the vast majority of terror threats are single, childless males?
5) Can a separate entry point be added in which I can provide them with my TSA Pre-Check number? If TSA and DHS has already screened me to not be a threat on a plane, can that apply to stadiums, please?

Every year the athletic department keep telling me more clearly that the view from my couch is the better option. I'm the dummy who keeps overriding that knowledge and going to the games to subject myself to this type of nonsense.

The separate entry option is a good compromise. I could send my Dad in and I'll take the backpack with all the extra stuff in it. The extra hassle will be enough to keep a lot of folks from bringing anything other than the plastic bags.

Actually a very solid compromise.

To each his own, I guess. IMO, college football games aren't really newborn, infant, or even toddler friendly events, for many of the exact things people have complained will be harder or impossible to do with this new policy. The CU football program has been lacking in solid attendance long enough, and frankly, has had a very G5 atmosphere to most games that has created a more "family friendly" environment. Maybe RG and the AD are a few years premature in implementing this policy, but with the idea that this team will turn it around on the field and that will translate into more 50k+ attendance games rather than 30k+, I simply don't believe they are trying to cater to families that need diapers, pacifiers, wipes, safety ear muffs, multiple bottles for feeding, and a changing kit.
I simply don't agree. College athletics have always been more family friendly. The cheaper tickets, the familial nature of the fandom. The familial connections to the school. The additional pagentry and tradition.

It is much more personal, and much more conducive to families.

I am struggling to respond to your take, logically:
- Franklin is has lots families on game day, granted many are slightly older children but they are under sold and people like me aren't just going to pay those bills until my kids are old enough not to need things.
- The younger you get kids into the games the more they want to come my 4 year old asks in the summer when we can go to football games.
- Running business that relies of recurring revenue streams why would you want to force a number of your good customers away from the stadium: ex: You are single or married no kids you come up and tailgate and go to tons of games, you then have a kid and you are supposed to take 3 years off? what if you have a second kid take 5 years off? lose your standing for priority and not be able to buy decent seats in the future ? And worst for CU maybe decide you know what i don't need season tickets any more it was a silly luxury I can do 1 game a year. hypothetically what % of people who make the decision to drop tickets come back after being gone for 3+ years? I dont know but its got to be less than 70%).

Or I could just be a dick and say do you have no idea what my ticket and donation bills to CU look like, its safely more in a season than you spend in 10 years.

The bolded is my situation exactly.

I simply don't agree. College athletics have always been more family friendly. The cheaper tickets, the familial nature of the fandom. The familial connections to the school. The additional pagentry and tradition.

It is much more personal, and much more conducive to families.

Which is why we should have a family-friendly area dedicated on the west side. Family bathrooms, maybe a playground area. Kid-focused food & whatnot. Covered seating to keep out of the sun & other elements. Not too close to the band due to the noise. I would definitely pay up for that.

Every year the athletic department keep telling me more clearly that the view from my couch is the better option. .
This is pretty much the only conclusion to draw. I enjoy seeing a game live, but if it is going to be a hassle, and look like airport security, well, let's just say I am happy with my large hi-def flat screen.

I'm old and can't tolerate cold anymore. There have been a couple of games where I was just miserable. I'm never doing that again. The last freezing assed cold game I went to, I had a big bag with blankets and an extra hoodie in it. If they ban that, I'm done. I'll watch on TV since I switched to Dish and should now get most, if not all, the games in the comfort of home.

I'd really like to know the following:
1) What data on security improvement led to the decision to implement this policy, or was it simply following the "best practices" standard set by the NFL as recommended by the Department of Homeland Security? Following the "best practices" seems like a reasonable approach here. I think it's common knowledge that terrorists have shown interest in messing with American Sporting Events (intercepted communications on this in fact).
2) How has the data shown that the NFL clear bag policy has decreased the number of terror attacks in stadiums (which was previously zero)?
How is this relevant? It seems logical that we should be increasing security in the current environment, which logically suggests more screening and having to look a little more carefully into peoples bags of belongings. Having a clear bag, clearly will speed up that process.
3) How many additional entry lines and security screeners are they planning to add to offset the increased security screening times that adding this policy will incur?
Clear bags will offset the increased security screening. Thus the need.
4) Why are security policies being implemented that discriminate primarily against women and children when the vast majority of terror threats are single, childless males?
All bags are being discriminated against, not just those carried by women or children. Are you suggesting we should just screen single, childless males?
5) Can a separate entry point be added in which I can provide them with my TSA Pre-Check number? If TSA and DHS has already screened me to not be a threat on a plane, can that apply to stadiums, please? This is private company screening, not TSA. Put your small crap (sun screen, chapstick, kotex pads, etc) in a small clear bag and carry your coats and blankets in with you. Not a big deal unless you have toddlers.

Every year the athletic department keep telling me more clearly that the view from my couch is the better option. I'm the dummy who keeps overriding that knowledge and going to the games to subject myself to this type of nonsense.

I've added some comments above in bold.

I can see the clear bag being a reasonable policy at an event like a National Championship or Super Bowl, or maybe in a city like New York. But for the most part, I think we are just letting the terrorist win.

I've added some comments above in bold.
Have you attended games at Sports Authority Field prior to and after they instituted the clear bag policy? If you have, then you will have certainly noticed that the wait time at security has gone up, not down. That is the first-hand observational data that I've collected to support my belief that this is having the opposite of desired effect. The lines are longer outside of the stadium. Not to scare anybody, but realize that if somebody really wanted to attack one of these venues their best outcome would come via walking into the mass of waiting people and detonating something. The longer security lines create a larger, softer target outside the stadium, and they wouldn't have to deal with any security personnel to make that happen.

You are absolutely right. This is a private company doing screening, not the TSA. A private company that is patently horrendous at their existing job without adding any additional responsibilities on top of that. Do you have any idea how much illicit booze is taken into Folsom on any given football weekend? They can't get that one thing right, but by all means we should trust them to protect us against a terrorist threat.

It does seem logical that you would want to provide as safe an environment as possible at sporting events and large gatherings, but putting that safety into the hands of largely untrained Argus/Andy Frain security personnel making minimum wage is a facade.

Have you attended games at Sports Authority Field prior to and after they instituted the clear bag policy? If you have, then you will have certainly noticed that the wait time at security has gone up, not down. That is the first-hand observational data that I've collected to support my belief that this is having the opposite of desired effect. The lines are longer outside of the stadium. Not to scare anybody, but realize that if somebody really wanted to attack one of these venues their best outcome would come via walking into the mass of waiting people and detonating something. The longer security lines create a larger, softer target outside the stadium, and they wouldn't have to deal with any security personnel to make that happen.

You are absolutely right. This is a private company doing screening, not the TSA. A private company that is patently horrendous at their existing job without adding any additional responsibilities on top of that. Do you have any idea how much illicit booze is taken into Folsom on any given football weekend? They can't get that one thing right, but by all means we should trust them to protect us against a terrorist threat.

It does seem logical that you would want to provide as safe an environment as possible at sporting events and large gatherings, but putting that safety into the hands of largely untrained Argus/Andy Frain security personnel making minimum wage is a facade.
Precisely. Well said.

The longer waits at Bronco's games are due to more thorough security checking, not because they now have clear bags.

The use of clear bags makes it easier to check, and also discourages people from bringing in unnecessary items. Both of which will reduce the time to check, compared to backpacks and large purses packed to the gills. But I will not be surprised if it takes longer to get in, due to the heightened security.

The alternative to having Argus perform this is what exactly? Do away with it completely?

Back