What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DB and/or WR coach?

So, if the kids, the receivers, are all behind Ambrose to become the WR coach, and they are, I wouldn't be shocked to see a DB coach hired. It isn't set in stone that Ambrose becomes the DB coach, is it? BTW, you guys are WAY too impatient. :smile:

It just seems odd. Other schools are filling positions. I am sure there are others whoh ave AC vacancies, but I wonder if any have had an AC vacancy as long as CU. Add to that not even a peep anywhere about who might fill it...odd.

Tough to close strong on the recruiting trail with only 2 weeks left when you don't have a complete coaching staff. It boggles my mind that other BCS schools have lost and replaced head coaches in a matter of days, yet it takes CU months to find a WR coach.

Maybe this is a "silent commit" situation, otherwise I have no idea WTF these guys are waiting for.
I don't think, or can't see how, one position coach makes a big difference. Especially since we are pretty set at WR for the next couple of years. I guess this is what gets me in such hot water with most of you. I tend to figure the AD/Staff have a plan and nothing I do or say will influence it. I'd also hope, at least, that they are on top of it. I know thats a stretch for most of you. :smile:

So, if the kids, the receivers, are all behind Ambrose to become the WR coach, and they are, I wouldn't be shocked to see a DB coach hired. It isn't set in stone that Ambrose becomes the DB coach, is it? BTW, you guys are WAY too impatient. :smile:

and you are WAY too Patient

I don't think, or can't see how, one position coach makes a big difference. Especially since we are pretty set at WR for the next couple of years. I guess this is what gets me in such hot water with most of you. I tend to figure the AD/Staff have a plan and nothing I do or say will influence it. I'd also hope, at least, that they are on top of it. I know thats a stretch for most of you. :smile:

We have 2 weeks to fill a recruiting class that is low on numbers and we're doing it with a shorthanded staff. One poition coach can make a big difference. Position coaches are not solely responsible for recruiting their position, so it's not like when we fill up on Olineman, Johnson can take the rest of the offseason off. I would suggest that based on our performance last year, there is plenty of work to do, and having a full staff would be a start.

We have 2 weeks to fill a recruiting class that is low on numbers and we're doing it with a shorthanded staff. One poition coach can make a big difference. Position coaches are not solely responsible for recruiting their position, so it's not like when we fill up on Olineman, Johnson can take the rest of the offseason off. I would suggest that based on our performance last year, there is plenty of work to do, and having a full staff would be a start.
Well, Hawkins is in a tough position. We all want a top notch guy. But top notch guy can pick and choose. Because of the "perception" of what will happen with Hawkins after next year, why would top notch guy sign on? But, hey, thats just me. Why not just keep ripping the program all over the internet and then throw our hands up and aske, "Why does top notch guy want to sign with us?" :lol:

Well, Hawkins is in a tough position. We all want a top notch guy. But top notch guy can pick and choose. Because of the "perception" of what will happen with Hawkins after next year, why would top notch guy sign on? But, hey, thats just me. Why not just keep ripping the program all over the internet and then throw our hands up and aske, "Why does top notch guy want to sign with us?" :lol:

Maybe our head coach could stop running this program like it's the mickey mouse club. Stop doing everything on the fly, try having an organized plan for once.

Where did I rip the program?? I know it must be hard to find a top notch assistant given the state of things, but at this point I'd settle for a solid, if unspectacular hire just so that I (and more importantly the team) knows whp their coaches are and can start preparing for next season.

We're not trying to hire an elite OC here, were looking for a WR coach, there must be hundreds of candidates who could do the job well.

The longer this drags on the higher my expectations get if only to justify why a hire hasn't been made by now, but I suspect the opposite may be true.

Maybe our head coach could stop running this program like it's the mickey mouse club. Stop doing everything on the fly, try having an organized plan for once.
So, you've seen his plan and decided it isn't organized? Or seen that he has no plan at all and is just winging it? Man, that's depressing. I would think that at this level a HC would have some sort of plan in place. Guess not.

So, you've seen his plan and decided it isn't organized? Or seen that he has no plan at all and is just winging it? Man, that's depressing. I would think that at this level a HC would have some sort of plan in place. Guess not.

What's his plan then? Why is he such an awful coach here? Why has he not had a winning season in 4 years? Why is he 11th in the big 12 in recruiting? Why do we have 1 PK but NO DT'S? I guess people can say they are good without any good results. That's depressing.

What's his plan then? Why is he such an awful coach here? Why has he not had a winning season in 4 years? Why is he 11th in the big 12 in recruiting? Why do we have 1 PK but NO DT'S? I guess people can say they are good without any good results. That's depressing.
All I can say is that his plan better include winning this year because if he doesn't, he can plan on how to spend his buy out money. There will be no fans more pissed at him if he loses than those who have gone the extra mile in supporting him. Well, not him so much as his program. He had better damned well win next season. If he doesn't, I'm real close to leading the "Troy Calhoun" charge.

It's not Hawkins' fault. Didn't you hear? He's in a tough position. :argh:

Seriously, not trying to complain or berate Hawk, do we not really need a WR coach pretty soon? It seems very weird to me that it's been so long and we haven't even heard of anyone interviewing for the position. I'd think that it would get done a few weeks before signing day so the guy can recruit, but I guess now I'll settle for just having the guy around so he can meet the players and get to know the coaches and such.

I think I mispoke on the WR coaching thing. I had my coaches mixed up. Any way, we'll see. Could be that Hawkins already has someone in mind for the WR's. Who the heck knows?

Aside from the recruiting aspect, CU needs a WR coach so that they can get acclimated to Boulder, the coaching staff, sit down and figure out what the scheme is going to be in Spring ball, get that implemented and have something to build off going into the summer and fall practice.

Somehow I get the impression that DBT would be just pleased as punch if Hawkins remains at WR coach.

I think we already have the WR coach on the staff. No real way to spin the process as a positive, it has been bizarre.

It appears that the CU football program has become an unattractive venue. From the outside, leadership is not readily apparent.
I come in peace. But I'm curious, as it relates to Boulder Buff's quote, what do you mean exactly? That coaches don't want to come here and that is why we haven't hired a WR coach from outside?

I come in peace. But I'm curious, as it relates to Boulder Buff's quote, what do you mean exactly? That coaches don't want to come here and that is why we haven't hired a WR coach from outside?

I speak to the bizarre part of his comment. The process is bizarre because the positions are unattractive. They are unattractive for a variety of reasons not the least of which is lack of leadership within the football program and the AD. Hawkins is not well-connected in coaching circles so he is an outsider looking in when at the coaching convention.

Hawkins is not well-connected in coaching circles so he is an outsider looking in when at the coaching convention.

I don't know what actually transpired (so maybe this did happen), but usually when a BCS program with the prestige CU has enjoyed has a position coach opening... just about every young, out-of-work or smaller school WR coach in the country would have been trying to get a resume in our head coach's hands and at least a couple minutes of face time to give his elevator pitch for why he'd be a great hire for us. If that didn't occur, it's a big problem.

I don't know what actually transpired (so maybe this did happen), but usually when a BCS program with the prestige CU has enjoyed has a position coach opening... just about every young, out-of-work or smaller school WR coach in the country would have been trying to get a resume in our head coach's hands and at least a couple minutes of face time to give his elevator pitch for why he'd be a great hire for us. If that didn't occur, it's a big problem.

I don't know what has happened but I do know that even when the program was embattled in 2004 - we were able to get Mike Hankewitz to come back to be DC at CU. Like you say, our HC should of been bombarded with resumes at the coaches convention.

The position may be unattractive, but it's not because Hawkins is on the outside at the coaching convention..... Losing seasons, a HC on the hotseat, and the AD being able to offer a guy just 1 year makes this a tougher sell.

HOWEVER, they are in the process of hiring a coach even if they are not talking about it. I don't know if it's a WR coach or not.

I speak to the bizarre part of his comment. The process is bizarre because the positions are unattractive. They are unattractive for a variety of reasons not the least of which is lack of leadership within the football program and the AD. Hawkins is not well-connected in coaching circles so he is an outsider looking in when at the coaching convention.

"Unattractive" is relative. If you're deciding between job offers from CU, Florida, Texas, or the NFL then I would agree that a CU offer may look unattractive, but let's not kid ourselves - the job pays $300,000 +/- and you get to live in Boulder and coach BCS football for a living.

Like Bufnik said, if they haven't collected hundreds of resumes by now, something is wrong.

"Unattractive" is relative. If you're deciding between job offers from CU, Florida, Texas, or the NFL then I would agree that a CU offer may look unattractive, but let's not kid ourselves - the job pays $300,000 +/- and you get to live in Boulder and coach BCS football for a living.

Like Bufnik said, if they haven't collected hundreds of resumes by now, something is wrong.

Nice post, but you are way off on your salary estimates there. This new hire might (and I stress might) make half of that number.

Nice post, but you are way off on your salary estimates there. This new hire might (and I stress might) make half of that number.

That's why I said "+/-", there's a 50% margin of error in my calculation. Anyway, point is it's better than most jobs, including jobs as a local high school head coach...cough.

Considering I didn't make half that number until I was 40, it's still a pretty impressive salary. Although maybe not worth uprooting your family or living apart from them for a year. Heck, I can't pretend I know what the assistant college coaching job market looks like.

I am, however, with you in the feeling that I simply don't understand how the coaching staff could leave the vacancy open during such a critical time of the year. Although hiring the wrong person just because you need a warm body would be a mistake too.

As has been said... we'll see.

That's why I said "+/-", there's a 50% margin of error in my calculation. Anyway, point is it's better than most jobs, including jobs as a local high school head coach...cough.

Salary compounds the 1-year contract issue. We're paying Coordinators in the 250k range. Our entire assistant coach budget is about $2 million. One of the most important things we could do is find the budget to start bumping that budget by 10-20% per year until we're back to at least being in the middle of the pack for the Big 12. Currently, we're about $600k short of being around 6th place in assistant coach payroll.

Back