What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
Gary Gibbs?

Seriously? That's about as unexciting and uninspiring a hire as they could possibly make. I remember that guy from his days at OU. He was turribul. No thanks. I didn't know he was still in coaching, to be honest. I thought he was selling insurance in Tulsa or something.

Pendergast looks good. Pac12 experience with good results. Hopefully he would look at Colorado as a challenge and a place to build rather than taking a seat in an easy chair somewhere else.

Ok.

Probably a little old and I'm not sure how much of a recruiter he is. Very solid x's and o's coordinator, though.

Seems to me the #1 choice should be Pendergast, given his experience in the Pac-12 and his success there. What position can Pendergast coach?
I believe he has coached DBs mostly. He is interesting in that he did not play college football so he doesn´t have playing experience at any position at the college level. Maybe that makes him equally able to coach LBs too, not sure.

Gary Gibbs?

Seriously? That's about as unexciting and uninspiring a hire as they could possibly make. I remember that guy from his days at OU. He was turribul. No thanks. I didn't know he was still in coaching, to be honest. I thought he was selling insurance in Tulsa or something.

Depends on which period of time you are talking about. Gibbs was fantastic as a defensive coordinator at OU (think about OU's defense in Bosworth's time), and pretty average as a head coach (although with a 44-23-2 record - it doesn't look so bad, all things considered). He did a nice job of leading OU through a difficult time, with their probation, bowl/TV ban, etc. His biggest problem was that he went 0-5-1 against Colorado, 1-5 against Texas, and 1-5 against Nebraska. Take away those three foes and he went 42-8-1.

He bounced around some thereafter. He was DC at Georgia under Jim Donnan (Donnan was the offensive coordinator at OU when Gibbs was the DC under Switzer). He then was the DC at LSU (10-3 under Nick Saban, won SEC). From there it has been entirely NFL. He was LB coach of the Dallas Cowboys for a few years, then DC of the Saints from 2006-08, and has been with KC ever since, either as LB coach or DC.

He's 62 years old now. Seems a bit old to jump back into the college game. He's also about 10 years removed from the college game. Would he do any recruiting, or simply be an x's and o's guy? Not necessarily a horrible choice -- could coach both LBs and be DC.

Reactions: aik
I believe he has coached DBs mostly. He is interesting in that he did not play college football so he doesn´t have playing experience at any position at the college level. Maybe that makes him equally able to coach LBs too, not sure.

Gary Gibbs played LB for OU in the 1970's. He's pretty much exclusively coached LB's throughout his career.

EDIT -- My apologies, you were talking about Pendergast.

Pendergast is who I want. Some stuff Duff said worries me about Gibbs but I guess he'd be a solid hire. I mean David not Gary.

Yep because the top and supposedly final 4 changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So whose top 4 is this...the guys doing the hiring or fans throwing spitwads at a list? Looks like half the list changed in a week. Looks like Durkin will either go to Michigan or A&M. Gibbs or Gibbs seems like the choice.

I dunno about that. He's had a lot of hand holding, the least amount of experience, I think the SEC defense isn't all that big of a win, cause really, it's not like they're defending against quality QBs like the PAC. Also, he may have recruiting chops in the south, but does he have the ties he needs to blend with the skill to be successful in the west? He seems iffy to me like Bobo seems iffy. I'd rather have Pendergast or Gibbs (younger).

The guy has 5 years of coordinator experience at the SEC level. 2 years as D coordinator (and 2 highly ranked Defenses), and 3 years as ST coordinator. That's about the most experience you can ask for from a "younger" candidate.

And I'm sorry, but what do you mean about blending with the skill to be successful in the west? Are you suggesting that recruiting in the South is a different skill all together than recruiting in the West? Does he have the relationship with high school coaches in CA that he does in FL? Probably not, but there is just as much talent in the south as there is in CA, and having ties to programs down there could be just as beneficial to CU.

Also, Bobo seems iffy for CSU because why? Did you also say McElwain seemed iffy? Not saying I think Bobo is a great hire, but what are you basing any of these statements on?

The guy has 5 years of coordinator experience at the SEC level. 2 years as D coordinator (and 2 highly ranked Defenses), and 3 years as ST coordinator. That's about the most experience you can ask for from a "younger" candidate.

And I'm sorry, but what do you mean about blending with the skill to be successful in the west? Are you suggesting that recruiting in the South is a different skill all together than recruiting in the West? Does he have the relationship with high school coaches in CA that he does in FL? Probably not, but there is just as much talent in the south as there is in CA, and having ties to programs down there could be just as beneficial to CU.

Also, Bobo seems iffy for CSU because why? Did you also say McElwain seemed iffy? Not saying I think Bobo is a great hire, but what are you basing any of these statements on?

Pretty much the only thing Bobo and McElwain had in common when they were hired is that they were both coordinators in the SEC. Time will tell on Bobo, but it's not as much of a home run as the McElwain hire was.

So whose top 4 is this...the guys doing the hiring or fans throwing spitwads at a list? Looks like half the list changed in a week. Looks like Durkin will either go to Michigan or A&M. Gibbs or Gibbs seems like the choice.

No, OP stated this is from Rivals and appears to be a legit list based in their active efforts ti ascertain whats happening behind the scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much the only thing Bobo and McElwain had in common when they were hired is that they were both coordinators in the SEC. Time will tell on Bobo, but it's not as much of a home run as the McElwain hire was.

You don't think CSU went the Bobo route because they wanted to take the same approach they took with McElwain? An offensive coordinator at an SEC program that has recruiting ties to the talent rich south and knows how a big time program runs?

You don't think CSU went the Bobo route because they wanted to take the same approach they took with McElwain? An offensive coordinator at an SEC program that has recruiting ties to the talent rich south and knows how a big time program runs?

I think that's absolutely what they wanted to do. I just think they went into it feeling like any SEC OC will do. They ran the same play from the same playbook that gave them their last coach. McElwain had a far more impressive resume prior to coming to Ft. Collins. If one SEC OC is as good as another, then they will be just fine.

I really want David Gibbs. He's young, has a good resume, has ties to the program and seems like someone who would stay for a while as we build. I would obviously be thrilled if Clancy took the job, however it seems like someone with his history might see CU as a stepping stone.

I voted for Pendergast; but all four are close in my opinion. I would happy with any of them as DC provided they bring in another recruiter or two. Especially, important to bring in a young energetic recruiter is we go with G Gibbs.

I love Gary Gibbs as a defensive coordinator. Years of experience, got the shaft by Switzer supporters at OU. He's coached at a lot of big places---and coached under some great coaches.

I like all four.

Well, wouldn't everybody's #1 be Durkin? Young, multiple years of experience at high profile, SEC school, and while Florida's offense was terrible, their D was one of the tops in the country. I feel like getting him and the main South Florida recruiter (and DBs coach) for UF in Travaris Robinson to replace Baer and LaRussa would be the dream scenario. With that said, why does anyone, including Rivals, feel like we have a snowball's chance in hell of landing him. Maybe I'm behind on the news but is McElwain not retaining him? There are reports that he's waiting on the UM situation (should find out in the next day or so now that Harbaugh is a done deal)? Why would he take a demotion and come to CU?

For this poll's sake I would rank them 1. Durkin........................................ 2. Pendergast 3. D Gibbs 4. G Gibbs

I thought I saw Robinson take a job at Auburn?

Sparkles had one thing Bobo doesn't have-ties to this part of the country.

I am reviewing all the media coming out of the Harbaugh hire at UM and nothing yet on who he has hired as DC. However most believe this is probably a 2-horse race for Durkin, that he will either end up at UM or at aTm:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...for-vacant-texas-am-defensive-coordinator-job

Assuming that is announced and decided ASAP, I would think many of the DC dominoes fall soon.

I mentioned this earlier, but RG and HCMM seem to be playing this close to the vest as most-if not all of us-were pleasantly surprised to hear that Baer was moving on. That had to be in the works for at least a week but probably longer by the time we heard he was going to UNLV.

So, I wonder if we are flying under the radar and already have our DC lined up? If that is the case, it would likely be Gibbs b-c there is no need for secrecy if it is Pendergast. Just speculating so anyone who knows more, please speak up!

I am reviewing all the media coming out of the Harbaugh hire at UM and nothing yet on who he has hired as DC. However most believe this is probably a 2-horse race for Durkin, that he will either end up at UM or at aTm:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...for-vacant-texas-am-defensive-coordinator-job

Assuming that is announced and decided ASAP, I would think many of the DC dominoes fall soon.

I mentioned this earlier, but RG and HCMM seem to be playing this close to the vest as most-if not all of us-were pleasantly surprised to hear that Baer was moving on. That had to be in the works for at least a week but probably longer by the time we heard he was going to UNLV.

So, I wonder if we are flying under the radar and already have our DC lined up? If that is the case, it would likely be Gibbs b-c there is no need for secrecy if it is Pendergast. Just speculating so anyone who knows more, please speak up!
this all makes since, when is houstons bowl game? like I mentioned earlier, after every bowl game I am waiting for an announcement.

Rumor is A&M hired LSU's DC and it will be announced after LSU's bowl game. Durkin most likely headed to Michigan. If for some reason Harbaugh brings in someone else we might have a chance.

this all makes since, when is houstons bowl game? like I mentioned earlier, after every bowl game I am waiting for an announcement.
My thoughts exactly. Jan 2. If it is D Gibbs, it would be completely reasonable for him to request that CU wait to announce until after he has finished his job as interim HC. I could be totally wrong on this and maybe we are still going after Pendergast, but it just doesn´t make much sense for us to wait on him unless he is waiting for other dominoes to fall before deciding on CU or another school or the NFL. Hopefully we´ll find out soon!

I think the Gary Gibbs thing is the least exciting and he's obviously the oldest of the candidates, and hasn't been in the College game for awhile.
I also know that he's the only candidate that HCMM has personally worked with. You got to believe that HCMM thinks this guy is legit to be in the conversation, based on being in the war-room together over multiple seasons.

Our program needs a quick fix to the Defense more than anything. Getting younger, having a guy who might stick around awhile, being an ace recruiter - all important things. But the top 3 things is to fix the bleeding and win NOW, NOW and NOW. We need recruits and fans to view our program more like Minnesota or Duke and not Kansas.

Honestly would like to see the hire announced soon. Seems like every other program with an opening has found there guy and hired them in very short order. Better be a good hire based on the wait.

Honestly would like to see the hire announced soon. Seems like every other program with an opening has found there guy and hired them in very short order. Better be a good hire based on the wait.
To us fans, a week seems like an eternity. We don't see all the internal discussions and negotiating going on. I doubt if CU looks at this as taking a long time.

Back